ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine rebuild not going as it should

Clio sport 182
Hi All

Been rebuilding my 04 plate Clio 182 engine and have come across a serious problem, new main crank bearings fitted, new con rod bearings fitted, new valves and headgasket fitted, when i try to turn the engine to TDC with the camshaft tool in place engine wont turn enough to get to TDC, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Clio sport 182
Half moons at the top??? watched three hours of you tube telling me to put the little half moons at the bottom???

Confused .com big time...

Clio sport 182
so crank was set to tdc, head fitted, cams fitted without moving crank?
Crank was turned through 90Degrees to allow for clearance for Valves, then turned crank to get to TDC but was interfering with valves so stopped and posted on Clio forum.

Clio sport 182
Head fitted, before tightening cam cover turned crank through 90 Degrees to allow for valve clearance.

Tightened cam cover and then tried to get to TDC , pistons interfering with valves so posted on forum, do the little half moons go on the top or the bottom, if they go to the top i'm going to be very rude to a couple of people on You Tube.

Regards

dave

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Head fitted, before tightening cam cover turned crank through 90 Degrees to allow for valve clearance.

Tightened cam cover and then tried to get to TDC , pistons interfering with valves so posted on forum, do the little half moons go on the top or the bottom, if they go to the top i'm going to be very rude to a couple of people on You Tube.

Regards

dave
I’m afraid they do go at the bottom, so I hope you haven’t been rude to anyone on YT mate!

I can only think you’ve not got the crank pin in the correct position.

Clio sport 182
[QU
I’m afraid they do go at the bottom, so I hope you haven’t been rude to anyone on YT mate!

OTE="NorthloopCup, post: 11642349, member: 61663"]I’m afraid they do go at the bottom, so I hope you haven’t been rude to anyone on YT mate!

I can only think you’ve not got the crank pin in the correct position.[/QUOTE]

Clio sport 182
Morning, all good no nasty replies or messages. I've added some photos to show position of valves when set with special tool and position of crank when aligning pin positioned just in case i'm going mad, looking forward to your replies?

Am i doing something stupid??

Obviously if i were to fit the head the valves are going to clash with the piston at TDC, whats the magic solution?

Is it possible the previous owner fitted different Cams? that's the only thing i can think of.

Thank's in advance

dave

Attachments

• GEDC0695.JPG
    GEDC0695.JPG
    656.4 KB · Views: 234
  • GEDC0694.JPG
    GEDC0694.JPG
    856.9 KB · Views: 265
  • GEDC0693.JPG
    GEDC0693.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 232

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Morning, all good no nasty replies or messages. I've added some photos to show position of valves when set with special tool and position of crank when aligning pin positioned just in case i'm going mad, looking forward to your replies?

Am i doing something stupid??

Obviously if i were to fit the head the valves are going to clash with the piston at TDC, whats the magic solution?

Is it possible the previous owner fitted different Cams? that's the only thing i can think of.

Thank's in advance

dave
Honestly mate, all I can think of is that one of the cams is 360 out as both lots of calves shouldn’t be open that much together.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Surely they can't be 360 out either? Only possible to be 180 out?
This is what I’m trying to get my head around mate as it doesn’t make any sense!
If it was 180 out, the slot for the cam tool would be incorrect.

Crank pins in the right place, slots for the cams is correct......but it doesn’t make sense!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Surely they can't be 360 out either? Only possible to be 180 out?
This is what I’m trying to get my head around mate as it doesn’t make any sense!
If it was 180 out, the slot for the cam tool would be incorrect.

Crank pins in the right place, slots for the cams is correct......but it doesn’t make sense!

Clio sport 182
Wrong valves fitted? IE they're too long?
Morning, Compared valves with ones i took out and they bare exactly the same length ETC, Talk about doing my head in????

Even had an experienced Mechanic friend have a look and he's scratching his head as well.

Regards

dave

dan's cast offs.
When you built it back up did you get as far as cam pulleys going On?

Think you might of done what I did once ?

Clio sport 182
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you've bent the valves. Btdt.
Hi

Valves have all been replaced and ground in havn't refitted the head since that's been done, waiting to see if any one has come across this problem before.

Cheers

Dave

Clio Sport 172
Only thing I can think is if the cam lobes have spun. Pretty sure these are pressed on. Unlike billet cams that are made from 1 piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio sport 182
So, glad we cleared that up.little half moons at the bottom.

Has anyone out there got a standard set of 182 cams?

Regards

Dave