ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical issues Clio 182

182 clio
hi all new to forum.

Needing help with my 182 04plate.

Having problems with electrics.
Started with I noticed alarm siren wasn't working. No sound. Flashing lights tho and is arming fine. I then noticed the lock and unlock button was staying lit as soon is I took the key out and goes off when key was in and turned on. It never done this before. Then I noticed stop and battery light came on and off so wicked the exiter wire which seemed to fix until yesterday. After messing around with it I now have no battery light atol. So stuck a multi meter on battery it reads 11.45v and won't turn over just clicks.
Anyone help?

182 clio
I've tried going through all the threads to see if anything matches also now noticed my heater is only blowing hot.
Any advice will be kindly taken.
Side note alternator is working fine checked diods and voltage ac and dc output fine.
Checked exciter wire and it's 1v less than battery voltage with ignition on.
Thanks in advanced ?

182 clio
Yeah it's new holds a charge well. Also alternator is fairly new aswell. Luck if both have covered 10k between them.
I hopping it's an earth or something like that. I've saw the phrase clip getting used does anyone know what it means?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
If you only get clicks when trying to start it then it is likely the battery. The clicks are repetitive like rapid fire.
I would be trying another battery first as a weak battery can cause loads of strange issues.
The easiest way to search for stuff on the forum for example the heater issue is to type cliosport heater only on hot in to google. it will then find results on this forum.
Renault Clip is the diagnostics unit that you use to interface the face car with a laptop.

182 clio
I've swapped the battery with my daily runner also on my battery there is an indicator on top of it which points to it being ok. I'm really shocked 11.45v is not enough to crank engine. Fully charged a battery should be around 12.5v is my understanding. I'm confused why I have not Batt light on dashboard after playing about with exciter wiring stop light is still lighting up. Also I have a 1v drop at exciter wire against the battery's voltage check with ignition on. Is that normal? I checked this due to Batt and stop light being on then noticed after messing around with exciter wire I had no battery light atol even when not started on ignition II.

182 clio
And thanks once again Gus.
I've found clip on eBay might invest.
Any advice if this is any good?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Clicking from the starter relay sounds like battery or the battery connections, if you've tested with a spare known good battery and the same result, then check the battery cables onto the starter motor and earth, could even be the solenoid on the starter.

182 clio
Now the battery is reading 5.6v in 2hrs.
? it's flattened 2 battery's now. I'm thinking I have an open circuit somewhere. Any ideas where to start ?

182 clio
Done a diode check and getting a reading of 655 which I believe is in the threshold of 500 to 800 one way. And nothing the other way so I reckon alternator is fine. Volt check earlier was 14.5 no load and 12.8 under load that's when I noticed my heater was only blowing hot. ?
I,m at a loss now.

182 clio
Just to add it will start if battery is fully charged or jump leads connected. Loosing volts is a new issue that has came since messing round with exciter wire and noticing I have no battery light ?
Its driving me daft.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
You can't test the alarm with a CLIP because it's not wired into the can network. There are two types of alarm, those with a battery and those without.

When the car is running do you still have all these issues? CLIP will allow you to diagnose the climate control. Look for a sensor which is showing -64, in essence this is the error code.

182 clio
I'm guessing mines is with due to a few years back the alarm still going off when battery was removed.

My pressing issue is now why it's draining battery's. Wasn't doing that before today. Same with battery light.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
I presume that it is drawing a lot of current when ignition is off?
Try disconnecting the alternator and see if still drawing same current.

The heater problem is very common, do search on here plenty of info on this, wouldn't think it is related to your main problem though.

182 clio
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I'm going to double check the draw I have with a charged battery.
It's abit late now.

182 clio
Hi guys been out here bright and early to check few of the ideas posted.
I presume that it is drawing a lot of current when ignition is off?
Try disconnecting the alternator and see if still drawing same current.

The heater problem is very common, do search on here plenty of info on this, wouldn't think it is related to your main problem though.

Seems it could be alternator that is faulty. Current draw with alternator connected is 2.84a with multimeter set on 10a and drops to between 0.01- 0.03 with it disconnected.
That's 2 alternators in about 20k miles.
car doesn't get used often.
I'm now thinking something is killing them.
any ideas guys.?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys been out here bright and early to check few of the ideas posted.

Seems it could be alternator that is faulty. Current draw with alternator connected is 2.84a with multimeter set on 10a and drops to between 0.01- 0.03 with it disconnected.
That's 2 alternators in about 20k miles.
car doesn't get used often.
I'm now thinking something is killing them.
any ideas guys.?

Have you got the plastic sheild on behind the front grille?

182 clio
Have you got the plastic sheild on behind the front grille?
yeah shield fitted.
What make alternator and battery?
Alternator is a valeo unit.
Can't remember what battery wasn't a cheap one tho.

I can't stress enough how greatful I am of all the help you guys have been given.
Disconnected b+ post on alternator and my battery dash light came back on aswell. Seems most of the issues I had were down to the alternator.
Still not worked out why my lock button light on dash stays on with key out even when doors unlocked or locked.
I was looking at refurbishing my own unit to save on cost. If anyone can advise good or bad idea. ?

182 clio
Still noticed at drop at exciter wire of 1volt compared to battery terminals is that within tolerance? Can't find any information regarding exciter wire voltage reading.
Thanks

182 clio
Since disconnecting alternator live it now turns over with a battery with 10.80 volts so definitely the current draw from alternator causing starter just to click.

I'm shocked ? the alternator passed all the bench and running test I.e. diods etc...
so rule of thumb I have learned is don't take anything for granted cause it's new ?.
I was sitting reading all these horror stories about the uch ?
Thankfully it turns out not to point in that direction ?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to see your making progress.

Bought a new alternator last year from Renault, £189 think it may have been a remanufactured unit, but genuine OEM Valeo part.

S/H or DIY refurb if you know how are alternatives, personally I don't think either are worth the risk.

It's 110A and part nr. 7711134267 incidentally

182 clio
Glad to see your making progress.

Bought a new alternator last year from Renault, £189 think it may have been a remanufactured unit, but genuine OEM Valeo part.

S/H or DIY refurb if you know how are alternatives, personally I don't think either are worth the risk.

It's 110A and part nr. 7711134267 incidentally

wish I knew it was on its way out when I done dephaser and power steering pump. ?
seems she likes being on axle stands ?

I'm thinking of sticking second hand unit or cheap one till I find out if the exciter wire should be 1volt less than battery volts.
I say this because I fear any alternator will keep over charging. And burning out.

Thanks once again obcuz ?
Will be lucky if she has covered 20k in 6 years.