ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Easiest clay to use?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I have only wver used the megs clay bar kit. I have everything ready to machine polish the car but no clay left so was wondering what people would recomend? Also the megs seems to be quite expensive so is there anything just as good for a better price?

Ph2 Meg 225
I’ve had a few different brands of clay bar but have gone back to bilt hamber as it’s by far the best.

Really easy to work with and I’ve always found it to pick up the most contaminants compared to the likes of af and meguires.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nah I personally wouldn't use a clay mitt. Tbh I don't use clay. A decent tar remover for me is my go to.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Nah I personally wouldn't use a clay mitt. Tbh I don't use clay. A decent tar remover for me is my go to.
Is it safe to machine without claying first? I have some iron remover stuff but nothing for tar. I have never machined before but will be using the dci as the test car.

Why dont you use a clay if you dont mind me asking? I use it after a fallout remover, clay is probably the most effective product in my detailing cupboard for me, especially on a car that has never been clayed.

Clay leaves the paint from feeling like sandpaper to feeling like glass, insuring that your paint is crystal clean so youre not dragging the dirt all over your paint with a polishing pad.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Another vote for Bilt hamber. Think I just used water or soapy with it. Don't need clay bar lube.

The feel of the paint after clay bar is lovely. Make washing and polishing a much nicer job too.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Daemon shine makes a cracking lube and it’s cheap as chips too fyi.

I like my clay mitt but it can be quite harsh, prefer using a bar.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Another vote for Bilt hamber. Think I just used water or soapy with it. Don't need clay bar lube.

Exactly this.

Some car soap in a spray bottle with some warm water...

Soft stuff is less harsh FYI.. think BH do 2/3 grades. Harder = more aggressive = more marring etc.

monaco 172
Never had an issue with my meguiars clay bars. Surely a clay mitt is going to drag all the contaminants across the paintwork as it can't be folded like a clay bar can to show a fresh surface after picking up a load of crap

535d / t5 caravelle
Are these clay pads any good to use? ( on a van in my case ) never used clay before, but fancy giving the van a going over, just short on spare time, so if these speed the process up, I’d be all for it, reviews seem to be good, but can’t find much more info on them.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I ended up getting the bilt hamber, in regular. It was £11 for a 200g which is really cheap when compared to other brands and as people had said, it can be used with just water which saves even more cash.

I would say though, it was very stiff and difficult to mould, although it was cold outside so i imagine in warmer weather it would be easier.