ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 3.0 ITB Race Build

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Re: E36 v2

Il make sure to get round to it this week, lol.

No rush :p

Looking forward to that feeling of taking my foot of the pedal and the car still cursing that the same speed...

773.gif

No rush :p

Looking forward to that feeling of taking my foot of the pedal and the car still cursing that the same speed...

773.gif

I've had a look and it seems you need the part of the loom along with the stalk and cruise 'ECU' from behind the glovebox. All no problem... plus the bits from the engine bay. Although fitting it to another car seems to be a bit more complicated, involving swapping all sorts of pins and wires around lol! Hmmm

After a bit of patience and waiting I managed to find a matching seat for the one I currently have - so no more passengers sliding about!

IMG_20131228_180815_zps37a399ff.jpg

I also picked up something else, who needs a van/estate these days?

IMG_20131229_125425_zps5377f0f6.jpg

More on that tomorrow!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Nah it's dead easy to re fit the cruise control to another car, got mine off an m3, literally just plugged it in and it worked. Didn't even need to be connected to the main computer as it's powered off the brake light circuit.

Nah it's dead easy to re fit the cruise control to another car, got mine off an m3, literally just plugged it in and it worked. Didn't even need to be connected to the main computer as it's powered off the brake light circuit.

Good news! Might be a US thing I read then

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Good news! Might be a US thing I read then

It may well have been but I was shocked how easy to fit it was, couldn't be simpler. The worst part is fitting the brake/clutch pedal switches as they are in a right arse of a place.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

No you need to swap the brackets between cars really. Yours will have a black and a white switch but you only need the brake pedal one now.

You can just remove the switch from the bracket but they break easily so it's best to just swap the brackets with switches attached.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

Awesome.

PM flying your way Jord

What's the lump? 325? Tubby??

M52B28, same as whats in there now. Although, a steel lined block, not Nikasil. Unfortunately the amount of hassle the turbo conversions are (especially on RHD) it just does not interest me. If the exhaust manifold was on the other side it would make sense, but not with how it is. It would be easier to drop in a 6pot Jap engine with the turbo on the right side! More below..

So as mentioned previously in the thread, the engine likes to breathe oil quite a bit, and the compression is slightly down. If oil consumption wasn't increasing I would probably leave it and not bother, but it is slowly getting worse. The block in there at the moment has Nikasil bores (Aluminium cylinder coating) which were a known issue with these cars when they were released. The high sulphur content in fuel back then wore the bores out even quicker, and many were replaced under BMW warranty. The block was replaced with one which had steel liners.

I got hold of a low mileage steel lined M52B28, approx 70k miles, without any ancillaries. I could have just put it in 'as is', but decided for the cost of parts I may as well rebuild it so its the best a stock motor can be. It came with a few other useful bits, another set of coils, a metal thermostat housing, spare crank sensor, etc etc.

Removed the sump, oil pump and baffle so I could sit the block flat on some blocks of wood. Then removed the rocker cover..

IMG_9557_zps5fc8135c.jpg

IMG_9562_zpscd222ba7.jpg

In rather good condition with minimal wear..

IMG_9563_zpsf28e7b29.jpg

Put the engine to TDC and locked the cams. Removed the Vanos unit (which was in good order with minimal play, not like the one I previously rebuilt)..

IMG_9564_zps06149a35.jpg

Then removed the upper chain and tensioner, de-tensioned the main chain and removed the pulleys. Removed the cams, carriers and tappets..

IMG_9568_zps485aa3be.jpg

Finished by removing the 14 headbolts in order and lifting the head off the block.. for a simple task there are many parts compared to an F4R!

IMG_9578_zps1b276855.jpg

IMG_9571_zpsd3ca2fa2.jpg

The head gasket looks to be in good condition, as do the bores with honing still visible..

IMG_9577_zps5a1aed35.jpg

Next job is to remove the valves from the head, then strip the bottom end down so both can go to the machine shop. More soon!

Incredible. You make it look so easy! How difficult is it to renew the Vanos unit? Mine sounds like it's getting worse, and I'm sure I've noticed a drop in power (although I might have just gotten used to it I guess.)

Incredible. You make it look so easy! How difficult is it to renew the Vanos unit? Mine sounds like it's getting worse, and I'm sure I've noticed a drop in power (although I might have just gotten used to it I guess.)

Its pretty easy to remove, timing tools required though. I sold my F4R timing tools a while back and bought some BMW ones instead which have been used quite a bit. Rocker cover off, lock timing, undo the Vanos unit and use the tool to remove it from the head. Quite a few other bits need replacing at the same time like gaskets etc, but its a relatively simple job.

You can see if there is a problem with the Vanos by plugging it into diagnostics - it will report a Vanos Jammed/Stuck code if its got an intermittent fault, which could possibly explain any power loss..

Is the power loss quite noticeable in your experience then? I certainly don't think it's beyond me to repair, it's more the fact that it's a daily and so can't be out of use for more than one day really.

Is the power loss quite noticeable in your experience then? I certainly don't think it's beyond me to repair, it's more the fact that it's a daily and so can't be out of use for more than one day really.

Mine originally just felt 'flat', and you couldn't hear the changeover between 3-4k in the engine note. Now its working fine if I slowly build the revs up to 3k when driving you hear the engine note change as its climbing - might not be the same for them all. Fuel economy was down also. Other times it would be fine etc. I sort of lost track of what the power loss felt like as I did the M50 manifold and Vanos seals at the same time.

If you collect the parts beforehand there isn't really anything to 'go wrong' so to speak, it took me 3-4 hours but I was taking my time doing other things too. The seals are only £15 or so. You just need a rocker cover gasket, Vanos-to-head gasket, and a few other bits. Its worth reading http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_single_procedure.htm - which makes it look complicated as f*ck but really its not, thats just in a lot of detail!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Still need to have a look into the vanos on my M3.. fancy coming up my way and doing if for me jord :rasp:

Saves me the effort.. Hate working on my own car during the day and sod it at night haha

Still need to have a look into the vanos on my M3.. fancy coming up my way and doing if for me jord :rasp:

Saves me the effort.. Hate working on my own car during the day and sod it at night haha

Slightly different setup on the S50/S52 engines, more parts required and various other bits, sometimes bits need machining etc, so no can do lol!

Had a bit of time before so stripped the rest of the head down ready for machining. Didn't take all that long.. :clown:

Started with removing the sensors and studs that will get in the way, then removed all the valves. Forgot how much I hate retaining collets.

IMG_9579_zps99c6e030.jpg

IMG_9581_zps3643e054.jpg

IMG_9583_zpsf523711a.jpg

IMG_9582_zps8b719d53.jpg

Stem seals removed..

IMG_9587_zps6ba463f8.jpg

Ready to be skimmed..

IMG_9589_zpsb5c65d63.jpg

IMG_9586_zpsf1669879.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome work mate!!

I thought I was a boss doing my cam cover seal too... lol!

I saw your thread on E36coupe the other day ;) Good job to do, they go brittle as f*ck really as you found out!

Really like the time lapse. Great work as always. I'd love to have room to do this kind of stuff.

I've only had the driveway... although the fun starts when the snow comes! The garage was a complete mess (one of those that are a waste of time and a car wont fit in width wise!) so I cleared all the sh*t out and welded together a temporary bench from some angle steel I had lying around. Scrap piece of wood for the top and it does the job!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Nice. I have a driveway but there is no way the parents would allow engine swapping etc to go on. I'm tempted by a larger shed to have a work bench in and store my tools a bit better but the space where the shed goes is rather limited so would be literally enough room for sitting/standing at a bench.

Nice. I have a driveway but there is no way the parents would allow engine swapping etc to go on. I'm tempted by a larger shed to have a work bench in and store my tools a bit better but the space where the shed goes is rather limited so would be literally enough room for sitting/standing at a bench.

Yeah, I've just always had to work with what was available at the time. I did the E30 in a unit but it was hassle having to drive there just to work on it, then you'd end up forgetting something, etc. My parents were against the idea at first (2008!) and needless to say soon came round to it lol.

Treat it to a port and polish whilst it's stripped down?

I had considered it, but you've also got to wonder why the M52 uses the exact same head casting as the S50 - raises the question why did BMW never bother with it to gain or increase performance on the M3 models?

IMG_20140102_212405_zps8ce18516.jpg

Bottom end stripped to a bare casing - block is actually lighter than the head, can pick it up with one hand :clown:

Dropped off the head and block at the machine shop for refacing and honing, probably have them back next week. Now to collect the rest of the bits.

Had a couple of hours free today so thought I'd look at the exhaust. The one that the car came with was always a bit boomy - literally louder inside the car than outside. Not that it bothered me how it sounded outside, just wanted rid of the 'boom' from inside. A common mod is to gut a standard backbox, to give a slight bit more noise over a standard system but not over the top volume wise.

Started by cutting the top of the back box off to reveal the complex design beneith..

IMG_9593_zps7b917278.jpg

IMG_9592_zps772496ae.jpg

Cut it out from either end..

IMG_9594_zps858acf58.jpg

IMG_9595_zps1b26160e.jpg

Instead of using all new pipe I just re-used two of the pipes..

IMG_9596_zpse40f6951.jpg

After a bit of cutting to shape and welding them in place, it resulted in..

IMG_9601_zps24f236c7.jpg

IMG_9602_zps9650cdf2.jpg

To take a bit of the 'edge' off the noise some slots were cut in the pipes..

IMG_9603_zps0f3b2f9c.jpg

Then finished by welding the lid back on..

IMG_9604_zpsbc97bef1.jpg

IMG_9605_zpse9f0b072.jpg

Fitted it to the car and its much better. No 'boom', stock volume on idle, opens up with some rasp and volume on WOT. May change the tips at some point, but will see how it goes for now.

Wanted to do that to mine, awesome work. Needs a video IMO

I cut it open again today, it was a bit too 'raw' on WOT. I've added some wadding and closed it back up, much better now. Swapped the tips over from the other exhaust too. Will get a couple of clips over the next few days!

Impressive stuff!! I'd love to have the know how to re-build an engine.

Just a matter of jumping in and doing it, best way to learn. As long as you follow a manual (clearances/torques) for the specific engine you cant go far wrong. Taking apart and putting together is the same for any engine really - All the information is out there on the web, its just research and plenty of reading :)

Probably why they weigh so damn much too!

So another parcel arrived a couple of days ago..

IMG_9606_zps3dae7a4d.jpg

Deja-vu! The 'new' radiator from a couple of months ago started leaking a short while ago. Seems there must be a crack where the core joins the side tank..

IMG_9607_zps4a1eada2.jpg

It was randomly spraying coolant everywhere too. Contacted Driftworks and they didn't question it, sent a replacement out straight away. Fitted it and no more leaks :sleepy:

So remember new bearings were fitted to the trailing arms when the subframe was done?

IMG_9388_zps660d397e.jpg

Had a bit of a noise from the rear N/S, although there was no play in the wheel. Started clicking on rotation, thought it was the CV on the output shaft. Removed the shaft to find..

IMG-20140116-WA0002_zps5ab427ed.jpg

Just a bit of movement here..

Part of the inner race looks to have cracked and broken off..

IMG-20140116-WA0004_zps490c5b92.jpg

Then removed the caliper and the disk/stub axle literally fell out..

IMG_9609_zps5d931f29.jpg

IMG-20140116-WA0005_zpsa57f9dbd.jpg

IMG_9613_zps3c5768c0.jpg

IMG_9615_zps98384c39.jpg

IMG_9617_zps5e984063.jpg

IMG_9618_zps897d504e.jpg

Well that lasted a good 2 months! :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
  DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

What bearing was it mate? I'll make a note to not use them lol.

Installed a FAG bearing on my E46, apparently BMW OEM?