ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR Advice.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
After something half decent for holidays etc.

No idea what we are looking for tbh. Something easy to use etc.

Better half has seen the

Nikon ds3500 DSLR at £280 on very after discount.

Worth going used or try and stick to new?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
If it's just for holidays, I'd avoid a DSLR. Go mirrorless like James said or look at a good compact.

I've got a Lumix DMC LX100 and it's a good compact. Full manual mode if I want to use it. Loads of features that I probably won't use but others would. It was quite pricey a few years back but you could get them cheaper now as they have just brought out a newer version I think.

One issue I have with Panasonic is that the WiFi connection app is absolutely w**k compared to Canons (and that's not great tbh)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_20190528-124655.jpg

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
I have the nikon above. It comes out maybe once a year if that! If you just want a camera to take on holiday I really don't think you can go wrong with a decent phone camera.
They are probably better than a dslr 90% of the time you would want one on holiday.
Dslr's are great if you want to take your time and the results that can be had are very rewarding but for the there and then a phone camera is better imo.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Aimz has mentioned it will be used for wedding hair photos etc for her work so probably something half decent but at the same time not millions of pounds.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure I once heard/read that the best camera, with any doubt at all, is the one you have with you when you need it.

I can't imagine why I'd want or need one of those hulking great things over the 8mm thick phone that's always in my pocket!

I use a similar budget DSLR (a Canon EOS 200D) and find it excellent - but not on holiday. The major downside is that the wide angle kit lens limits your shots compared to say a compact camera with a much higher zoom level. Of course, you can pack a telephoto lens for your DSLR but then you're adding on extra cost and have to lug around a beast on holiday. That, and the fact you're constantly worried about dropping it off a table, getting sand in the lenses or it getting nicked.

For that reason I also bought a used Canon SX130is which takes great holiday shots, is lightweight, takes AA batteries, still has some manual controls, and is capable for both wideangle and telephoto. Plus it's cheap so I don't worry about it on hol.

Clio 2.0 138hp
Unless you have used a dslr before it will be more frustrating than anything else. They work fantastic on manual modes but it takes a long time to learn how to use them well. And on holiday you want something easy to use, otherwise you will miss the shot you really want and willl forever regret it. Trust me, been there done that.
Mirrorless is a great shout. All the top brands make amazing ones, nikon, canon, sony etc. For holidays a dslr just isnt practical either. Ive spent many hours wishing my camera was lighter and didnt have so many lenses :)

Mirrorless is a great shout. All the top brands make amazing ones, nikon, canon, sony etc. For holidays a dslr just isnt practical either. Ive spent many hours wishing my camera was lighter and didnt have so many lenses :)
Yep, that is exactly why I did what I did. Ditched all my Nikon Full frame DSLR kit & lenses and bought into Olympus OM-D M1 mirrorless, 2/3 the size and just as capable. I can't see me ever going back now.

Fiat Coupe
It all depends what you want to do. I used to use Olympus OM film cameras, and then bought an EP3 camera (mirrorless, a little like the OM-D) in 2005 or so, which I use as a point and shoot on holiday with a wide angle lens that's tiny.

But I kept all my old manual lenses and bought an adapter so when the dragonflies come out of the pond I can whack on a kilo of 70s metal macro lens and take fancy snaps. (Badly.)

P5103957 (Copy).JPG
P5103959 (Copy).JPG