ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jekyll's RB182 Progress Thread

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Ah man, what a s**t job it is!

The access is a right nightmare with the hard to reach areas/screws and the column in the way.

I've shave a fresh layer of skin off my hands!!
I bet you have mate. When I was upside-down in the footwell trying to fumble my way to the top bolt I was wondering how the f**k you got it out! If mine is buggered I think I'll just buy a new car[emoji23]

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I didn't think it was too bad. Was easier to hang half out the car door though than get upside down inside

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So i was getting annoyed with "top mount" knocking noise. I thought the bearing maybe sitting to high with both the 16mm and 22mm washers so i used my old rear bilstein washers and drilled them out to 16mm to try as ive seen others having one washer, some even having none.

37845098532_b9eb9f80cf_z.jpg

37166303614_219c1edf80_z.jpg

37156349643_bab842618e_z.jpg

37177754564_b048fba938_z.jpg

37856539762_506d907d55_z.jpg

24035717878_7d32c8e5ec_z.jpg

37630671730_1d1be9f9cd_z.jpg

I tried this setup. Fitted the bearing, put it all back together. Drove around the farm and it still knocked! I can only hear it on the drivers side. So in i drove, jacked up, wheels off and head scratched. Decided to check everything was tight, suspension related as i'd done the recent suspension overhaul. Everything was tight and i was confused until i checked the front lower arm bolts. The nut that connects to that and the stabilizer arm (i don't know its real name) was slightly loose. I tightened it up, did the same on the passenger side (although everything this side was tight) refitted everything and test drove it around the farm...... and no knock! Great!!

The Culprit:

37186153904_327bb5c70a_z.jpg

Earlier in the day i had my non sport stereo strip and replacement drivers seatbelt clip (mine had snapped and been bodged with superglue) arrive from @mossyv6. So i decided to fit these, being happy i found my knocking cure!

37167802143_b14f07bea3_z.jpg

37167786873_f06b82367d_z.jpg

24035747458_64e4f8a89d_z.jpg

37167833613_74a60f0a52_z.jpg

Just need a non sport climate control panel now to complete it all. Well ideally, id like a tunepoint. If i found one of them, then id get a standard non sport tuner list stereo but until then, i'll keep my current one for now.

Next up was the rear seatbelt clip change. I used @mossyv6 guide which was very helpful. I did it all as described, but kept my rear seats fitted. It can be done this was as described in he's thread but i removed my isofix bar to get better access for the zips.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/g...-trim-piece-replacement.812808/#post-11496575

37887637261_c0d2ec368b_z.jpg

37167852093_64f4fc5786_z.jpg

37167852443_03e548ab5e_z.jpg

37630732730_2df20bb700_z.jpg

37630732660_f0d3f4b4d2_z.jpg

With that, i put the tools away as i wanted to come back to work and change the modified washers to the original supplied ones from PMS. Reason for this is my modified washer didn't sit completely flush as there is a very small lip on the bilsteins and i would rather it all be correct as seen here:

37198560924_f70714a267_z.jpg

This morning i got into work early to do the washer swap.

24043717538_78fed610c6_z.jpg

24043728998_3308271997_z.jpg

37186159374_2b0abe9171_z.jpg

37895648641_5900b5da22_z.jpg

Drives great, no knocks, happy Jekyll :smile:

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Great stuff mate :) glad the bits got to you ok and were part of the project :)

Just seen your after a non sticky climate control - I have one here but has no buttons in it as I used them on my previous racing blue. I will dig it out for you and get a photo if you're interested?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Its all good Paul, thank you. Your guide came right in handy. Probaly wouldnt have dome it without that tbh.

Yes buddy. If the buttons are easily swappable and it's in VGC I'll take it of your hands.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Who was that with?

Mine was up, £414. Shopped round and was the best so stayed with Brentacre. Was the only policy that allows me to drive other cars as in the motor trade and other policies don’t.

I must be getting old, mine was just under £300 fully comp in June, BUT.... only me on there and it's a admiral multi car that gives a decent discount as my daily is on the policy too. That looks a lengthy job on the rear seat Mark but well worth it, I couldn't handle having a glued and broken old clip either haha

P.S. what's a tune point?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Its all good Paul, thank you. Your guide came right in handy. Probaly wouldnt have dome it without that tbh.

Yes buddy. If the buttons are easily swappable and it's in VGC I'll take it of your hands.
The buttons are easy to swap in the climate unit Mark. I did mine as they were all scratched off. Good work finding the knock.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200

This is it mate, looks ok to me. I have just put a set of buttons back in so it is a complete unit but will need changing as they have rubbed away.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

CFAB

ClioSport Trader
  Cliosport 182 ff
Nothing nicer than fixing a problem. I’m in the process of changing all my suspension parts and all I need now is top mounts, shocks and springs. I always buy new nuts and bolts as I don’t want this happening on mine. Can’t be dealing with chasing a knock/rattle it’s the worst lol. Good job that man.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Who was that with?

Mine was up, £414. Shopped round and was the best so stayed with Brentacre. Was the only policy that allows me to drive other cars as in the motor trade and other policies don’t.

Thats with Greenlight. I did think it was a tad expensive but then Emily is only 25 yrs old so i guess that part of it being high. But that's with all mods declared.

Maybe next year i'll look around as i like to be able to drive other vehicles. Something which Greenlight doesnt offer if you in the motor trade.

I must be getting old, mine was just under £300 fully comp in June, BUT.... only me on there and it's a admiral multi car that gives a decent discount as my daily is on the policy too. That looks a lengthy job on the rear seat Mark but well worth it, I couldn't handle having a glued and broken old clip either haha

P.S. what's a tune point?

Your the same age as me arent you? As said, i think ill look more into other companies next year if its still high.

Honestly Steve, apart from the removal of the isofix bar, its a really quick swap. Probably 20mins total if you follow the guide and remove the isofix. I only used a flat headed screwdriver and a 17mm socket/ratchet.

Also a tunepoint is a media device that renault have that plugs into the standard head unit and replaces the CD changer. You van plug in a aux lead or USB stick for music and still use stalk control.

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=81165

I had one in my BG and it was good as you can have loads of music via a USB and have the use of stalk control and still keep the dash OE looking. I velcro'd mine under the glove box so it was nice and hidden.

The buttons are easy to swap in the climate unit Mark. I did mine as they were all scratched off. Good work finding the knock.

I did check your thread actually earlier. I will take a pic prior to swapping ;)

Glad you managed to find the knocking noise, always good when a plan comes together :up:

Absolutely!

View attachment 1342058

Classic!!

Seemed most appropriate!

This is it mate, looks ok to me. I have just put a set of buttons back in so it is a complete unit but will need changing as they have rubbed away.

View attachment 1342076 View attachment 1342077

Done.

Nothing nicer than fixing a problem. I’m in the process of changing all my suspension parts and all I need now is top mounts, shocks and springs. I always buy new nuts and bolts as I don’t want this happening on mine. Can’t be dealing with chasing a knock/rattle it’s the worst lol. Good job that man.

Tell me about it. It niggles away at you! New bolts and nuts arent that much either IIRC.

You getting upgrades or standard stuff?

@Phase1sr look at the toes on that mate :up:

Something for everybody?

Haha, no ta.

Not my bag either. I prefer them painted.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I know. It was too good an opportunity to miss.

I did drive round further and took a few more snaps but it was getting dark quickly and this had the best sky/colours in it.

Well, you've certainly got some great photos going on inI this thread! Even down to the PMS photo and all the parts are laid out simetrical! This is how I am in my day to day life, things have to look right and be presented right... partly the reason I'm loving ripping the clio to buts as I'll know exactly how it all works for when I get myself a nice mint version that needs very light fettling.

Anyway... I went to check out the links you posted and this made me chuckle....

IMG_0058.PNG

Glad you got the knocking sorted :up:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So i haven't updated this in a while. Tbh there's not a lot to update on.

I got my climate control panel fitted that i received off @mossyv6. I swapped over the buttons from my one to make the best one out of both.

37843156035_1ffff37ab2_c.jpg

26954874139_c30c9047e7_c.jpg

23865760707_d34cfcb978_c.jpg

37843208785_ab803b1397_c.jpg

37843225225_6d6543604d_c.jpg

26954900939_068c10312e_c.jpg

Works as it should. The only downfall is that its black. I thought it would be grey like the buttons. I'm not sure if non sports come with both. Either way its fitted and i got to admit i dont notice it mostly. That could be because were in winter season. If they do a grey version then i'll buy another one but this will do for now. No more tackiness!

Going through my Flickr account and i found a pic of the engine bay. Not sure why i took it but, why not post it in here eh?!

38812650641_e14d7b29ec_c.jpg

We've had some had some pretty dire weather and there was no point washing the car due to it getting filthy on the way home. This lasted for a few weeks, when i couldn't do it anymore. Used the farmers jetwash and washed the crud away. Much happier and better looking now.

27493424679_8462677383_c.jpg

A pleasing video of the mud/dirt coming off!

25402678988_f7f7ef2ccf_c.jpg

Much better :cool:

25402682058_bd02b0310f_c.jpg

We then had some snow over the xmas period but that didn't stop me using it and taking a couple pics of course!

39345274032_181cfff77b_c.jpg

25505445168_0f7890aea2_c.jpg

My battery was also giving up the ghost. Admittedly it was a bit weak this time last year but made it through another year. It had been giving the symptoms of getting week a couple of months ago when the trip computer would reset when it was cold. Then over the last 2 weeks the needles would hesitate on idle before firing up. Then the last week it was struggling to start up. So i drove to Euro Car Parts and ordered a new battery. Got to admit, i bought a cheapy one. I did think about buying a branded one but decided against it. Parked up outside, went online and ordered one with the discount code, waited 5 mins then went inside to collect it for the grand sum of £35. Went home and fitted it straight away. Got the trusty old halfords kit out with a nice cup of coffee in Robocup and set about swapping them over.

Old

38668054004_3648c6cde9_c.jpg

New

38668053154_2046bd534b_c.jpg

Old Vs New

27599292949_d4a2968ff4_c.jpg

New fitted

24511376097_8248de691b_c.jpg

24511383477_ee3e508ba9_c.jpg

That's pretty much it. I'll be totally honest, its been running fine apart from the battery. No knocks, or unwanted noises. There's little things like the heater issue, which has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but in the current season we are in, its not an issue. I will buy a new (2nd hand) heater matrix and motor but that can wait a few months. I will one day change the exhaust as its crapply made and has been bodged by me early in my ownership, but its working fine and sounds good too so no need at the moment.

I need to look at the passenger seat as i think the bolts are loose but its 9/10 just me in the car so once again, not a priority.

I think i will do another oil change soon as well as the cabin filter which i've not done on this car yet.

I will one day get the steering wheel retrimmed but when, i don't know. I'll just keeping washing it in the bath! Other than that, i cant think of anything. I suppose that's a good thing really!

Last edited:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Ah the maintenance lul..... Mod hunting will bite again soon!
Looking lovely as ever!

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Let me known when your doing your oil change mate,as ive been looking at what oil to get & do mine soon to.If your doing it at work & ok to pop down?,prob go with Elf oil

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Nice update Mark!

That Lion battery might be 'cheap' but it's still got a three year warranty.

So for £35 you really can't go wrong!

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Did you do the engine bay yourself?

I have a powder coated inlet etc to go on my RB and want to clean up the rocker cover and maybe even spray it. How did you do yours?