ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Had the car back off @AlexW for a while now. Since having the belts done I will say that it is quicker! It seems to feel like it pics up sooner than 5k. This could be placebo as ive only driven the missus's 1.2 micra while Alex has had my car but I do think that it is quicker. He said the timing was spot on but the dephaser pulley was knackered (which is why its had the recent work bought forward) so now it runs as it should. Be interesting to see what power its now at.

Fitted my new pedal plates that ive had for a while now. The pedals themselves looked a tad tired with a few bits of chipped paint so I drilled the old plated off and gave them a lick of etch primer and satin black before I riveted the new plates on.

15994902476_40d30c58a9.jpg

15833437410_ca54ee1009.jpg

15398450514_9e4837888b.jpg

15401090993_40cbec985c.jpg

I also cleaned up my existing throttle pedal as a new one from Renault was silly money and this one was in fairly good condition.

15398464584_f8bc7111bb.jpg

16018801981_95d5178dc5.jpg

Next job was to try and fix the bodged bumper. It was fitted by a screw going into the wing which had strated to work its way to the edge of the wing. This was like this before I bought it. Upon removal I somehow managed to crack a bit of the wing paint. I was a bit pissed off but it would of happened sooner or later. I superglued the crack back up and from a distance its hardly noticeable but up close you can see it.

15833316928_967553a7b6.jpg

16020061302_bb30ca63e6.jpg

The wing doesn't actually have a bracket for the 10mm bolt to hold the wing and bumper together and I wanted to make away with the screw so I made a bracket out of 2mm ali and riveted to the wing. Not perfect but not seen once the car is on the ground and held in by a 10mm bolt which is better than a rusty old screw!

15834716069_9a6d9cc98e.jpg

While the bumper was off I decided to clean up the front of the car and behind the bumper itself, and also spray the bumper protection pads black.

16020785655_65abeb1d60.jpg

Ive also finalised the shape of the Nimbus heatshield and used the existing bolt holes in the scuttle to secure it. No pics but ill get some as I want to spray the rocker cover again.

I did buy a new genuine battery terminal and cover and oil cap, although only got a pic of the cover.

15401138163_1cc7c67ee4.jpg

I knew my lambda sensors were out and tbh I think they always have been in my owner ship but it always seemed to run ok, however since ive had the engine work done, it became apparent that they needed changing. On idle it would be fine, then it would run extremely lumpy. It was like it was going to stall. After about 2mins of this the revs would jump back up and would be fine. After a quick PM to @G 172 I had ordered 2 genuine Bosch lambda sensors. Ordered on Friday late afternoon and arrive Monday morning. As always great comms from George and great delivery times :smile:

Pics of swappage.

16019349416_1fbf24b8ab.jpg

16033282056_150c3e8201.jpg

15436780224_e91a561f9b.jpg

15439420303_55b509b7ce.jpg

While I was under the car I took a pic of my new genuine cat fitting kit, just because.

16033302176_66e4a86d62.jpg

15436798304_149ae04570.jpg

16057152951_2c3d6ce960.jpg

16057178101_b1818bd515.jpg

16057183631_3e367b81bc.jpg

15871876620_c9588df659.jpg

Idles fine now but the EML light has stayed on and MPG is still low so going to get Alex to plug he's computer in a nd see whats the cause. Runs fine though :confused:

I also had a sticky throttle so I kindly got one off @dmallett

16059170965_a82eef1805.jpg

Ive also decided to spray my other ph1 gearknob as I felt that my current colour has too much pearl in it and it doesn't go with the interior so ive done this one Iceberg silver.

16033385386_0e55a25482.jpg

So now ive owned this car for just over a year now and I still love it :smile:

Pic of when I first got it:

16033385386_0e55a25482.jpg

The car was on 76k and had a few mods such as:

Whiteline arb
Koni yellows with Eibach sportlines
Ktec stealth with center section
Ported and matched inlets
Ktec induction kit
Sony Bluetooth headunit
Goodridge braided hoses all round.
Ph2 door strips, interior and exterior door handles
Cup spoiler
3/4 front plate
Retrimmed standard steering wheel
Silvervision bulbs
Accoustic shelf with 6x9s

Ive done a fair bit to it and have not only changed parts but naturally ive modified to too.

Modifications as it stands:

Sabelt cup racer steering wheel (Bought new)
Momo steering wheel boss (Bought new)
H&R 20mm front spacers (Bought new)
Myldan 10mm rear hub spacers (Bought new)
Myldan battery cover in brushed aluminium (Bought new)
Myldan aluminium foot rest plate (Bought new)
Hi-Spec 4pot front calipers (Bought new)
Pirtek front braided hoses to suit calipers (Bought new)
BC Racing height and damping adjustable coilovers (Bought new)
Poloybush dogbone mount (Bought new)
Vibra-Technics engine and gearbox mounts (Bought new)
Ktec stealth exhaust with center silencer
Original airbox with K-tec foam filter
Renault sport 1*2 mats (Bought new)

Parts changed/replaced/refreshed:

Cleaned center console and interior door pulls
Interior door handles back to ph1
External side strips and door handles back to ph1
New rear and center exhaust mount (Bought new)
Cree sidelights (Bought new)
Rear number plate lamp (Bought new)
Center airvent (Bought new)
Standard sized front plate (Bought new)
Throttle cable (Bought new)
Windscreen rubbers (Bought new)
Stickers for 2.0 badges (Bought new)
Original tape deck back in
Upper grill stickers (Bought new)
Ashtray with spring
Cup spoiler brake light (Bought new)
Rear wiper arm and rear wiper blank (Bought new)
Front Brembo HC discs (Bought new)
Rear genuine brake discs (Bought new)
ATE superblue brake fluid (Bought new)
Genuine rear pads (Bought new)
EBC road pads for Hi-Spec 4 pots (Bought new)
Lower ball joints x2 (Bought new)
Inner and outer track rod ends (Bought new)
Painted rear calipers and carriers
New seal kits for rear calipers (Bought new)
Wing mirror caps
Genuine new key and reprogramming from Renualt (Bought new)
Genuine fuel filter (Bought new)
Osram nighbreaker unlimited bulbs HB3 (Bought new)
Bosch aero wiper blades (Bought new)
Brake and clutch pedal plates (Bought new)

Service:

Oil filter and oil change - 12.01.2014
Major service - 22.11.2014 (parts and work included below all bought new)

Depahser pulley
Aux belt kit
Cam seal kit
Crank bolt
Oil filter and washer
Water pump
Upper to lower inlet gasket
Upper oil breather O-ring
Rear crank seal
Fly wheel bolts
Spark plugs (NKG PFR6E-10)
Oil cap
Cat fitting kit
Elf tranself NFJ 75w-80 gearbox oil
Battery cover and terminal
Elf evolution SXW 5w/40 engine oil
Type D coolant
Gates cambelt kit (contains stronger metal pulley)
Header tank
Powerflex black series steering rack bushes
Thermostat
Dextron power steering fluid
Valeo OEM clutch + kit
Pagon sump gasket
Nimbus heatshield
Various painted engine parts
Genuine Bosch lambda sensors (pre and post cat)

Its good to keep a note of all things bought and done, both for me and for the history of the car. Ive still got a lot to do but this is a project thread after all! Roll on another year :smile:

Thanks for reading,
Mark.

Last edited:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
wow mark you must of spent a fortune on this car in just a year. fair play. it looks great. glad your still enjoying it. i do miss this car was great fun to drive.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
wow mark you must of spent a fortune on this car in just a year. fair play. it looks great. glad your still enjoying it. i do miss this car was great fun to drive.

Thanks Jamie. I did say I'd try and look after it for you :)

Not too sure what happened on the last pic but here is a pic of when I first got it:

10886823934_d4c0cde5b8.jpg

RB Clio 182
I was still getting poor MPG after fitting both lambda's and the light was still on. Alex came round and plugged in he's laptop/clip and turned off the light for me. It was also saying that the pre cat lambda wasn't connected. We looked and it was but it was slightly loose. I remember when fitting it that there was no clip on the loom side for it to clip into. I went to work and got some thin cable ties and looped them around both end of the sensor to hold it in place. MPG is now back up to 34-36 :smile:

I decided that I didn't like the black cam cover so I took the inlet off and covered everything up and gave it a few coats of silver, along with the lower inlet.

15990815228_339634015c.jpg

Noticed that the car was making a slight ticking noise so I decided to use some valve treatment on it. Put in in a drove around for a few days then I redid an oil change to help with it. Id already had the oil/filter anyway and although it had it with the belts, it was piece of mind for me. The tapping noise has clamed down also. Its now had 3 oil changes in 11 months.

15556299704_2f171bc114.jpg

16177473272_12166a835c.jpg

16176354491_fe804854bf.jpg

Nice post mate :tonguewink:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I need to replace my lambda, nice up dates mate. Loving the sliver inlets. :smile:

Makes me want to drive mine again. :cool:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Top work :smile:

I could do with a bodge on my front bumper. It's busted on one side just like yours

More than welcome to come to my workplace Steve and we do the same thing on yours?

Love this car, do you prefer this or your bg mate, honest answer.

If you could swap it back would you?

Cheers Tom :smile: You know what, I loved the BG but I do prefer this. I love the front end and the fact its OEM+. I also like the fact it feels smaller and I like its simplicity on the interior compared to the BG. Plus its easier to keep clean!

RB Clio 182
More than welcome to come to my workplace Steve and we do the same thing on yours?

Cheers Tom :smile: You know what, I loved the BG but I do prefer this. I love the front end and the fact its OEM+. I also like the fact it feels smaller and I like its simplicity on the interior compared to the BG. plus its easier to keep clean!

Cheers Mark :)

I really do love this car, the front end is meaner than the ph2.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
It shouldn't be to much of a problem for me mate as i have the 182 manifold with a de-cat. 😂
My car only had 1 lambda. :cool:

I got them from G172. I wouldn't want to fit them again though, too bloody awkward to get too!

Silver looks cleaner too :smile:

I think I deleted it before you sorted it? Nevermind, i'll redo it tomorrow Jamie.
Some of it was still there, I had to delete about 4 times as much code from the bloke quote below! If you need anything changing then let me know and I'll edit it in, I just cleared the huge amount of code below the actual photos which posted. Sorry if anything disappeared 😧

I never thought I'd say this but that ph1 looks fantastic. I expected nothing less from you!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks very much Jamie, comments like that mean a lot :)

It's not mint, nor a show car. It will take time but I want to keep it clean and tidy with a few mods. There getting rarer these days so it'll be nice to own one of the cleaner ones, over time.

Thanks for trying on my post as well mate.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'll try it again! Not the best pics due to low light/camera phone.

I was still getting poor MPG after fitting both lambda's and the light was still on. Alex came round and plugged in he's laptop/clip and turned off the light for me. It was also saying that the pre cat lambda wasn't connected. We looked and it was but it was slightly loose. I remember when fitting it that there was no clip on the loom side for it to clip into. I went to work and got some thin cable ties and looped them around both end of the sensor to hold it in place. MPG is now back up to 34-36 :smile:

I decided that I didn't like the black cam cover so I took the inlet off and covered everything up and gave it a few coats of silver, along with the lower inlet.

15990815228_339634015c.jpg

Noticed that the car was making a slight ticking noise so I decided to use some valve treatment on it. Put in in a drove around for a few days then I redid an oil change to help with it. Id already had the oil/filter anyway and although it had it with the belts, it was piece of mind for me. The tapping noise has clamed down also. Its now had 3 oil changes in 11 months.

15556299704_2f171bc114.jpg

15990797038_8a85b0e367.jpg

16177473272_12166a835c.jpg

16176354491_fe804854bf.jpg

While the bonnet was up I gave it a clean and recleaned/repainted my bonnet catch. I had rushed it last time and it was looking manky so this time I gave it a good few coats of paint and lacquer and left to dry before refitting. I know the underneath of the bonnet is rarely seen but its come up great tbh, probably better than the upperside!

16176403061_03e4745c4a.jpg

16178312955_6401abb336.jpg

15990852988_a17b76e052.jpg

Fitted new genuine oil cap

15992196309_f719c1eef4.jpg

Once that was all done I decided to clean it. Started off with the wheels and exhaust but then ran out of time/light to do the car :blush:

15555956974_584ef2be31.jpg

15990987960_e9684439f8.jpg

15990863508_d9b0032516.jpg

Pics of the finished Nimbus heatshield and finished engine bay :cool:

15992334599_20645f0cc5.jpg

15558603493_928f2f8b86.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the positive comments guys :)

As mentioned, it's not a mint car. Far from it in fact. Bodywork need attention but I'd rather concentrate on the things that need doing mechanically and get the mods I want on first before I look into the body side of things. It's nice to change a few bits that are cheap enough to change as well, such as bushes, clips, moving components, etc. The car is now 13years old and parts will need doing but it's getting there.

I don't plan on getting rid anytime soon so I've got plenty of time to get it looking better. Tbd it's in pretty good condition for the age and mileage but a bit of Jekyll TLC over time will get it better :)

Next to change are bonnet stay and clips, side reapeters back to orange, swap my gear knob go my newly resprayed one, lower shock bolts front and rear, washer pipe clips, throttle cable rubber, and possibly orange front indicators :eek:o

I will be doing a Ktec style induction kit and possibly red Magnacor leads.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
What I meant was orange side repeaters. Thanks Graham :smile:

Just ordered new bonnet stay and bonnet stay base, bonnet stay clips for my loose washer pipes, lower shock bolts and nuts for the front and rear, new throttle cable rubber and a few inlet bolts as I've somehow lost 2! :blush:

Still thinking about ordering another fabia splitter (again) and I keep looking at the LED light dash conversion which @McGherkin has done which I think looks smart. Brakes need a re-bleed again as I feel they are still spongy and don't inspire full confidence.

What I meant was orange side repeaters. Thanks Graham :smile:
Yep that's what I thought you meant. its the only bit left on mine I haven't changed over yet

Get the Fabia splitter done! Makes a massive difference. I also want to get the LED dash conversion done but its way down on the list at the moment. STILL haven't done all the belts yet and its been way over a year!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely motor :) nice to see another mint ph1.

I liked your bg too. Interesting to read your thoughts on how the ph1 compares to it.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Thanks for all the positive comments guys :)

As mentioned, it's not a mint car. Far from it in fact. Bodywork need attention but I'd rather concentrate on the things that need doing mechanically and get the mods I want on first before I look into the body side of things. It's nice to change a few bits that are cheap enough to change as well, such as bushes, clips, moving components, etc. The car is now 13years old and parts will need doing but it's getting there.

I don't plan on getting rid anytime soon so I've got plenty of time to get it looking better. Tbd it's in pretty good condition for the age and mileage but a bit of Jekyll TLC over time will get it better :)

Next to change are bonnet stay and clips, side reapeters back to orange, swap my gear knob go my newly resprayed one, lower shock bolts front and rear, washer pipe clips, throttle cable rubber, and possibly orange front indicators :eek:o

I will be doing a Ktec style induction kit and possibly red Magnacor leads.
My mates selling red magnecor leads. There sweet because their my old ones

Hes never fitted them as he spent a fortune on parts for his 172 but has just brought a 197 Cup