ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Ceramic wax... not sure how it’s made and I know it won’t be as good as a proper coating but just had a brain storm. Make a hybrid and throw in one of these cheap eBay 9H coatings.

Pointless or worth a go?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's a terrible terrible idea!!! I've just fixed a Q5 that the guy had used that coating on. The state the paint was left in is unreal.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you polish and wax a car, how many times can you wash it before it needs waxing again? Got some Hydra wax and some polish to try this weekend.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
That orange (nice smelling) meguires car wash
Clay bar
Meguires quick detailer (lube for the clay)
And now:
Bilt hamber polish and hydra wax

Probably nothing that removes wax.... Fairy liquid?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nah, I thought it does but nope. Ref fairy.

I use Autoglym srp polish, that works well and £12 delivered with amazon prime.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Is SRP as dusty as it used to be?

Go very sparingly with it if it is and do a panel or 2 at a time.

Evo 5 RS
Vantage lasted on my car a whole year. But then I only drove it for 5 months of that and hardly ever, so... lol :D

Tis why I'd never bother with ceramics personally

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
@gally and for any other long standers who've been around the houses with products...

Do we think these are any good? Really tempted.

Personally I wouldn’t bother.

If you’ve got a good layer of protection on the car you can get most water off simply using an open hose.

This product seems expensive to me for what it does. And from reading those reviews you’ll need to replace it once a year if you wash your car fairly regularly.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah the car has Vantage and some coats of BriteMax Remax, water comes off very easily. Anything that improves the process is welcome by me, though.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
A disposable asset.

For sure you could wash them etc, most people don’t.

The better towels then yeah they are worth a wash. Again most probably don’t.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I buy the Costco packs of 36 and use them on paintwork once or twice. Give em a wash if they're a bit dirty but demote them to interior cleaning or wheels, tyre shine etc. Then probably just chuck them after that. They're never the same after a wash

Evo 5 RS
Not sure I would be too fussed. They do work but you don't really want to leave your car wet so just dry it.

By a proper dryer machine instead and a very very good drying towel. Et voila no water spotting.

Yeah drying machine makes sense. I don't tend to get water spots anyway, it's just the drying process is by far the most tedious.

Clio 182 Trophy
Headlights... worked my way up the grades - 500, 1000, 2000, 3000. Can't decide if they're ready to polish or if they need more sanding as there are some patchy bits still.

Attachments

• IMAG1366.jpg
    IMAG1366.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
  • IMAG1365.jpg
    IMAG1365.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
  Clio 182 Trophy
Just a pack of Amazon wet sanding discs with velcro on, did it by hand though. Then ultimate compound on the 3m headlight polishing disc as a white hex logic didn't touch it (with da).

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
What are people using too get rid of paint swirls, not like product swirls like if had too much wax put on but like the scratchy swirls like the laquer is scratched or is there no way out of the where the previous owner used a Brillo pad too clean it

Evo 5 RS
I bought the AquaGleam resin filter as was curious. It makes the car easier to dry if nothing at all. My Evo has a good layer of protection so it's not really an issue and the water sheets off well enough, but I left my black Focus out to bake and there was very minimal water spotting, so it does what it says on the tin.

Basically, it's for lazy people. Now I've sold it on to someone who owns a black BM lol :D

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just cleaned a black Z3 and a black Z4. s**t me I hate black cars. Also, it's way too hot to clean cars, I gave up and just left them covered in water spots so now they look dirtier than before.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just get a towel like the one linked above (I bought the same one) and dry after washing each panel. Doesn't take long at all.

I've got a half decent towel, and drag it along the panels, but even the slight residue forms into horrid marks!