ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danith's facelift Fn2 Civic Type R

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
So yeah, some of you may have seen that I had sold my R26 that I'd ploughed my soul into. Turbo just isn't for me and after driving our recently mapped (K100) Ep3 over to Nurburgring for our annual trip I knew 100% that N/A is my thing and began to look for DC5's. That ended abruptly when I'd paid almost half blind for a forum DC5 that was supposed to be mint but wasn't 'mint' to me (clean for a DC5 granted tho). So after seeing 4 or 5 Dc's and getting cheesed off with the ultra excessive JDM tax I looked at FN2's and Clio 200's.
I liked the fact that they were newer and still Na (dying breed) and not that expensive compared to stuff like M cars. Saw a handful of clios, liked them, but decided I wanted to stick with Honda as they're better built and the engine and box feel much better, as well as the ace interior and specs the Hondas come with.
So I looked at a few, all rusty roofs (rooves?) and feeling a bit tired. Then I spotted this 60 plate (so LSD equipped from factory - all Fn2s made after Apr 2010) at a decent price. Full Honda service history with receipts to back up the stamps. So I went and looked, felt great, paint needs a lot of attention as looks like it was cleaned with a brillo pad in places, crap Re050a tyres (2 of which were worn), no roof rust, no gearbox issues - long and short of it I managed to get some money off for the 2 bald tyres and took a punt.
Drove it home over the peaks with the stereo off and all is good. Really nice cars, don't get the hate at all (maybe that makes them a bargain for those who don't polish Jeremy Clarkson's helmet and hang on his every word!?)
Dropped it at the garage this morning (another FN2 owner and enthusiast) and it's been given the all clear - just the tyres to mention and some damaged under trays). I also know that the aircon needs regassing, so that's booked in for next week.
Off to get some Michelin PS4 fitted after work to reward myself/the car for getting a clean bill of health and then to test out the OEM LSD!
No pics as yet, just the ones from the ad. As said the paintwork is pretty swirly/hazy so I'm going to spend next weekend detailing it as much as possible by hand, really looking forward to the results.

Plans - of course. Eibach springs and Grinspeed FRSU, braided lines and fluid (already has Ds2500 in - not great but ok), mugen or seeker spoiler, double din with reversing camera (rear visibility is pretty bad on these), Gruppe M intake (if I can persuade my mate to sell his), subtle exhaust upgrade maybe. Polish it to death and keep up with the maintenance history. And more importantly (as I seem to find it hard to do - KEEP IT!!)

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Looks decent Dan, NHB paint is a nightmare though, was on my ep3 anyway, in very hot direct sunlight I used to be able to make a fingernail mark it was that soft. So no polishing it mate in direct sunlight as I made a holy mess of mine.

How much for the 2 RE050's (not the bald ones)? Presume they're 225/40/18....:tongueout:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Looks decent Dan, NHB paint is a nightmare though, was on my ep3 anyway, in very hot direct sunlight I used to be able to make a fingernail mark it was that soft. So no polishing it mate in direct sunlight as I made a holy mess of mine.

How much for the 2 RE050's (not the bald ones)? Presume they're 225/40/18....:tongueout:
Yeah the guy who's garage I've dropped the car off at today has a NHB one too and said to be careful and that machining it will probs do more harm than good so gonna pick a good day and just do a load of stages by hand. Didn't really want black but this had the LSD + FHSH and that sealed it for me.
Was only gonna get 2 tyres done but my heads saying get em all done as my ocd won't handle mismatched tyres. There's a bit of tread on the rears but at a guess I'd say 4mm or so. I'll let you know when I get the car back? And yeah 225 40 18 :)

JB21

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the guy who's garage I've dropped the car off at today has a NHB one too and said to be careful and that machining it will probs do more harm than good so gonna pick a good day and just do a load of stages by hand. Didn't really want black but this had the LSD + FHSH and that sealed it for me.
Was only gonna get 2 tyres done but my heads saying get em all done as my ocd won't handle mismatched tyres. There's a bit of tread on the rears but at a guess I'd say 4mm or so. I'll let you know when I get the car back?
Sound mate.:up:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
I think the interior looks better than the outside on these, but I think I've been put off by the ropey one I see at work.

Agreed that they look good in red, also white but big money then.

ian 182

ClioSport Club Member
Well done getting one with the diff. Black will be a challenge but there are some decent products out there like finishing sprays that will make it look really nice.
You say there is a problem with the a/c. If its just a re-gas that's fine but there are a couple of common problems with them that are a really cheap fix before you go wasting money on a re-gas only to have warm air again a week later.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Well done getting one with the diff. Black will be a challenge but there are some decent products out there like finishing sprays that will make it look really nice.
You say there is a problem with the a/c. If its just a re-gas that's fine but there are a couple of common problems with them that are a really cheap fix before you go wasting money on a re-gas only to have warm air again a week later.
Nice one will take a look at that. Fingers crossed

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Met a couple of fn fwends at costco. Needed to borrow his card to get the tyres.
Only Driven home and a quick blast around the a roads but what a difference a set of tyres makes. One of rears was pretty much coming up to the markers too so did all 4. Massive difference and can really feel the lsd working now. Absolutely loving this car, it's ideal so far. Peeled off the cheesy fly eye that was on the fogs and wing mirror indicators. Going to remove the type r ebay grille badge too and get some plain plates asap.

bd4b8fff0fa260018fff1d7528a13840.jpg
63a3896b20dc2ffdbb39c5542ab5d9e4.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
That's pretty cool that they were all there at the same time.
They all live a stones throw from the trafford centre so came over for a nosey. The one on the right is tdi norths ex race car its had some serious engine work and suspension etc. Drives a lot differently and revs like a motorbike! Middle one has had a few quid spent too, rrc, Fd2 throttle body, ecutek map, gruppe m, exhaust brembos etc.
Mo Turned up later in his ep3 that tdi also built. Then the police showed up for a nosey, felt 18 again ha.
d2e50589f153347eca0f4d35a2d5bf3f.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
How does it compare to the ep3?
Very different. This needs more of a kicking to get it going but once it's up and running its easy as quick. Much comfier, much more modern with the gizmos and miles nicer to drive than the rattly old basic ep3. Ep3 is a lot snappier though, much sharper handling wise but the steering feel is improved in the fn. Ep seems more nuts and chuckable. Fn is a more civilised and pleasant car but can be a hooligan from 6k. A lot more jekyll and hyde than the ep.