ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Racer wont start

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Having an issue with my Cup Racer starting, my motor dropped a valve on a rally last week so I swapped it out for one of my spare engines. But now it won’t start under its own power, when cranking off the battery I get no spark at all (New battery fitted same day). I have tried using a jump pack but makes no difference, have tried other battery’s but still no spark, the only way it will start is to hook it up to my mates Snap On Battery tester/Starter which gives out 14.4v. Once running it runs perfect, ticks over great and has plenty of power. If rolling along at 30-40 and you cut the motor it will bump start no issues. The starter motor on the car is less than 1000 miles old and still cranks nicely.

So there doesn’t seem to be an issue with the engine itself, looks to be something on the electrical side. Not a clue what is causing this, anyone got any idea’s?

Cheers

Mike

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Cranks over normally Ian. Even on Thursday night with the old battery it would start and it was barely turning over then. Something has definitely been damaged when the old engine was taken out. Exactly the reason I don't like anyone else other than myself working on the car.

We have tested all the earth's and they are fine. Even run jump Leads from the engine to shell just incase. Makes no difference.. Really wish I could work out what's causing it.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
No not yet, thats on the list of things to try next. Will give it a try when im next up the shed and report back. Cheers

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yeh mine had a mind of its own once, used to shut the drivers door and the ignition would turn on.. Took the circuit breaker apart cleaned it all up and its been ok since. But thats all working fine so highly doubt its related considering when the car start its runs perfect. The new engine ive put in runs perfect once you actually get it started, it actually runs nicer than the cup racer engine that died. Seems to have a bit more poke too! but thats not really a help when it wont start on its own haha.

Haha closing the door and the ignition going on sounds like a great feature to be fair ;)

Sorry yeah I didn't think it could be but my Armtech cut off does weird things to my ECU and data logger so just thought i'd check!

Sounds good, very jealous! I don't even have an engine at the moment lol

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Great when you get in the car, not so great when you want to park it up in the shed and you have to turn the car back off through the window lol

Hmm strange, i was thinking of swapping mine out for an armtech but i seem to hear more and more stories of them failing now i think ill stick with the mechanical one they come standard with.

It nothing special, just a 50k motor that came out of a 172 cup I wrote off. That cup went freakishly well though.. probably part of the reason i crashed it, well thats what ill keep telling myself only lasted 4 days :dapprove:

Great when you get in the car, not so great when you want to park it up in the shed and you have to turn the car back off through the window lol

Hmm strange, i was thinking of swapping mine out for an armtech but i seem to hear more and more stories of them failing now i think ill stick with the mechanical one they come standard with.

It nothing special, just a 50k motor that came out of a 172 cup I wrote off. That cup went freakishly well though.. probably part of the reason i crashed it, well thats what ill keep telling myself only lasted 4 days :dapprove:
Haha yes I can imagine that lol ;)

With mine I *think* it and the ecu have been wired incorrectly so not an issue with the unit but I will know later this week when I strip it out! Its a good bit of kit to be fair, the only 1 negative I would say is that if the battery is even slightly flat it won't even let the car attempt to start :(

I think they are a real pain to make work with the loom's in your car but I could be wrong.

Haha top effort ;) at least some good has come of it then lol