ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CS Tech wizards - Help.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a bit of a wanky problem. Started a few days ago.

So after a period of time (Anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours) my PC will freeze up for a few seconds, and afterwards I get no internet connection. It states that it's connected, but just no access to the internet. The windoze troubleshooter claims that it can't reach the network gateway.

I can get the internet back if I go into adapter settings, right click on the wifi adapter, disable, wait a few seconds, then enable it again.

I've tried;
System Restore
Changing the power management settings to never disable (in the adapter properties) and maximum performance (in the windows power plan)
Updated to the latest drivers for the adapter and motherboard (It's an MSI Z97i AC, the adapter is a built in Intel AC7260)

If anybody can help I'd much appreciate it, so I can go back to downloading p**n cat videos without having to reset the adapter all the time.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think it might be a Windows thing although it's only mine (5 years old Dell) and not the wife's new laptop that seems to have issues.

The only time I can connect to the wifi now is if I reset my router. It'll be fine for a while then drop off.

All phones, tablets, TV's, PlayStation and printer stay connected.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Sounds like a typical Windows 10 thing with older WiFi adapters.

I had the remove the WiFi adapter card from my other half’s laptop to even get the OS to install.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If its not a driver related issue, with Windows potentially being the main culprit - you could always try setting a static network address onto your PC adapter?

Check what you have first by pressing the Windows Key + R and typing cmd and the enter. In there, type ipconfig /all and enter. In there will be a list of numbers that should provide most of the details you'll need. One to check while you're there too is the Lease Obtained and Lease Expired values - see if they are indeed set to something stupidly short like ten minutes.

In all likelihood, it's address will be being given out by your router through DHCP. Usually, these follow a number between the ranges of 192.168.0.1 through to 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.1.1 through to 192.168.1.254.

Typically, the router is either the first device in the range or the very last (***.***.***.1 or .254) and typing that into a web browser will normally get you to the router's web page for configuration.

Within there, you can assign a range of addresses that the router will not hand out through DHCP to phones, tablets, PCs, etc. If you set up a scope that had a small range in itself - e.g. 192.168.0.200 to 192.168.0.210 and then manually assigned your PC's adapter to 192.168.0.201 - you're placing in that 'protected' scope that at the very least, should assure you that no other device is given the same network address. There are a few caveats with that - but you should be fine.

On your adapter and assuming your router was on 192.168.0.1, your network config page should look similar to the below:-

1540804397962.png

The quad 8's aren't required, but I sometimes add them of the router is having DNS related issues.

Whilst you're there - there's a possibility that the your older wireless adapter is having issues with IPv6. As IPv4 is still by far and away the most popular protocol version at the minute - I'd disable IPv6 on your router for now.

Apologies if most of the above is teaching you stuff that you already know!