ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crank seal leaking

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Hi,

I noticed a leak on my replacement engine which I feared is the crank seal.

Sure enough, I whipped off the flywheel and was met with this mess.

IMG_0862[1].JPG

Going to order a seal and flywheel bolts tomorrow.

I've read a few thread on here about changing this seal, but I am confused. In some threads there is sealant mentioned, where is it to be sealed?

I noticed people saying they knocked the new one in too far etc, I assume there is nothing in there that the seal butts against?

Any advice in greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
very rare for a crank seal to leak and you'd be daft to not do sump gasket and reseal main cap at the same time.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Yea, I seen it mentioned on here that its rare to go so I was surprised to see the oil at the bottom of the flywheel. I'm going to get sump gasket and seal ordered tomorrow. Along with new flywheel bolts and cam seals. Hopefully I should have a dry engine after all this!

Regarding fitment of the new seal, do I aim to leave the new seal sitting slightly proud as per the seal fitted currently?

dan's cast offs.
seal is it is now.

and while you've got the sump off chuck a set of arp rod bolts on, clean the oil pick up out and modify the oil pressure relief valve.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
What is the best sealer for the main bearing cap? I was in buying the seal amongst many other things today from my local dealer and they reckon the Renault sealant will do this. I’ve seen it mentioned on here that the Renault sealant is no good. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk