ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cracking stuff ( see pic )

clio 182
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT

1.5 years old
20,000 miles covered roughly

Should the rears be cracking like this?
Fronts were replaced recently and was advised these would need changing aswell.

Thanks

clio 182
20180614_075112.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've seen worse tyres . Its hard to tell from that one section in the pic . Depends who advised you if they genuinely mean it or are they just after a sale . As @imprezaworks says 20k is bloody good going for tyres . I'd be happy with half of that lol . They might be old tyres , as in when you had them fitted they'd been in stock a long time ?

clio 182
I was hoping to rotate them onto the front, but will just replace them when I get chance. Was hoping to get another year at least because the tread is still 5mm+ both rears

Listerine & Poledo
rears dont wear on Clios

They are pretty much only there to keep the boot off the floor.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@SamB123 Just out of interest . Where did you get them fitted and who advised you , you need to change them ? Was it one of the big tyres places ? Maybe try a small local tyre place and ask them their opinion if they need changing .

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Interesting that. I'm pretty sure my boss's A5 had the same issue with a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx's. Also were only a year or two old at most and would be lucky if they done 5k. Think they were worse than that mind you.

I'd be inclined to just replace those. If they're on the rear of a clio they'd last about a million miles lol. Had a good run at them with 20k!

clio 182
I'm not with the car currently so can't get manufacture dates, but I'm going to get then replaced soon anyway before they blow out. Cheers for your input guys

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why didn’t you put the new tyres on the back? Standard practice.

clio 182
I was going to rotate them as I already mentioned, but after finding the cracks I decided to leave them alone and change them next payday

Listerine & Poledo
in fairness you may as well leave them on the back until they're illegal, as said, they get pretty much zero load.

Unless you drive everywhere like you're pushing for a Red Bull F1 seat.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Why didn’t you put the new tyres on the back? Standard practice.
I really really can't fathom this logic.
The front wheels do the steering, most of the braking and carry most of the load on a FWD such as a Clio.
The rear wheels basically as Brendan said, are coasters to keep the bumper off the tarmac. Putting some R888s on the rears and some 15 year old Linglongs on the front isn't going to get you any purple sectors on the board, let alone around the first roundabout you get to on the way to Tesco.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I really really can't fathom this logic.
The front wheels do the steering, most of the braking and carry most of the load on a FWD such as a Clio.
The rear wheels basically as Brendan said, are coasters to keep the bumper off the tarmac. Putting some R888s on the rears and some 15 year old Linglongs on the front isn't going to get you any purple sectors on the board, let alone around the first roundabout you get to on the way to Tesco.

I don’t get how you don’t see the logic, people say he rear tyres don’t wear out on clios. So Doris in her 1.2 Clio could easily be driving around with 10 year old tyres on the rear.

If you always put the newest on the rear, then the old rear tyres get put on the front and actually get worn out and replaced.

And understeer if a lot easier to control than oversteer.

Obviously it’s different for track day heroes.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I never understood that, why would you put your s**t tyres on the front and good on the back?

Heard people say “incase of a blowout then you can steer with a blown front wheel”

Not being funny but if a tyre is gonna blow then it’s not going to be a front one everytime[emoji848][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get why people say put the new tyres on the rear, its due to more tread and therefore more grip in case of an emergency manoeuvre etc. Saying that I could never bring myself to put new tyres on the rear when replacing the fronts on a front crawler, just replaced the fronts on the Mondy with decent Falkens and have budget Landsails on the rear, it would be a total waste of available grip the other way around, lol.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I get why people say put the new tyres on the rear, its due to more tread and therefore more grip in case of an emergency manoeuvre etc. Saying that I could never bring myself to put new tyres on the rear when replacing the fronts on a front crawler, just replaced the fronts on the Mondy with decent Falkens and have budget Landsails on the rear, it would be a total waste of available grip the other way around, lol.

So you’d put brand new good grippy tyres on the front?

Then run old crap ditch finders on the back? Much rather have my front tyres start to let go before the rears.

Not to mention the rears will last ages, so you’ll be running crap rear tyres for ages.

406 V6, Race Buggy
They're fine, it's just in the underlayer near the carcass, that's much harder than the compound on modern tyres and it's common for it to crack a bit as it ages.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

Sounds like a recipe for some hilarious lift off oversteer in the wet.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If I have to replace 2 tyres , I usually put them on the front first , for about 1500 - 2000 miles then swap the rears to the front . If you do it this way you prolong the life of the tyres . I only do this though if the rears still have decent tread depth though . If you put new tyres on the front and the rears are down to the wear markers and you have to brake hard , especially in the wet the fronts will grip and the rear end of the car will want to overtake the front . I had this happen to me years ago in Pug S16 . I went round a bend , the road was wet and there was a queue of traffic I wasn't expecting . I ended up 45 degrees sideways .

https://www.edentyres.com/should-i-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear.aspx

So you’d put brand new good grippy tyres on the front?

Then run old crap ditch finders on the back? Much rather have my front tyres start to let go before the rears.

Not to mention the rears will last ages, so you’ll be running crap rear tyres for ages.
It's a road car fella so I'm never going fast enough for the rear to step out before the front and I'd rather the grip at the front for emergency braking, especially in the wet.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's a road car fella so I'm never going fast enough for the rear to step out before the front and I'd rather the grip at the front for emergency braking, especially in the wet.

“Fella” No need to be a nob about it lol