ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Correct Radiator for a 172 Cup

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction for the correct Radiator for my Cup?

I was going to buy a Nissens one but they all seem to be for cars with air con, obviously the cup doesn't have that. I was looking at a Direnze alloy one but the non air con version says its for the Ph1 only. the version for the Ph2 is for air con. Everytime I run my reg on a website it just comes back with a normal air con radiator.

I've had a look on euro car parts out of interest and they say that you can use the air con version on either car, you just have to use a blanking plug for the cup, but I've read that the fittings are different on the 172/182 and the cup and that the fan is different.

PMS have one for A/C and one for no A/C one for a 172 Cup, but this just contradicts what everyone else is saying.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Need to get this sorted to get my car back on the road.

Cheers!

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
That's the one I looked at, but everywhere else says that the cup uses the air con one,

The 1.6 with air con, would mean the radiator is for air con....yes?

That's the one I looked at, but everywhere else says that the cup uses the air con one,

The 1.6 with air con, would mean the radiator is for air con....yes?

Yeah you’d expect so! I read that on here but it could well be a red herring.

I’d go with the Nissens non cup 172 radiator. It’s physically larger than the air con version by the looks of it. Euro car parts also sell one that fits the cup but it’s made by EIS who I’ve never heard of.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Yeah I saw the one on euro car parts. Looks pretty cheap, and it said it can worth on both cars, which is clearly wrong.

Find it odd that only PMS supply the non air con Nissens radiator. Can’t find it listed anywhere else

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Thanks Steve.M. So the info I found saying the fittings for the 172 and the 172 cup are different was incorrect?

PH2 172
Thanks Steve.M. So the info I found saying the fittings for the 172 and the 172 cup are different was incorrect?

If you look hard enough, you will find a thread asserting that the 172 Cup front subframe is wider than all other PH2 172/182`s

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
So if I was to go for a direnza alloy one would it be the same, get the normal 172/182 one with air con?

PH2 172
So if I was to go for a direnza alloy one would it be the same, get the normal 172/182 one with air con?

Without the top & bottom rails to mount the condenser, the core of the non aircon item is 20mm taller if you think you need every bit of cooling you can get.

As this is probably not the case, go for the aircon item, as this will widen the market if you ever choose to sell it in the future.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
So I went ahead and ordered a Nissens 63768, the company I ordered it from messaged me asking for my reg and if I had air con or not. They replied saying this radiator was incorrect and would not fit, so wouldn't sell it to me.

They then said that the part number for the radiator I need is 7700428082 they have it in stock but apparently there's too variants and they need to see photos of my radiator before they'll send me it.

It's one of these 2 apparently, mine is still in my car and it'll be a while before I can get it out, I wanted to do a straight swap when I had the new one.

Don't suppose anyone on here could identify the right one from these pics? Someone on here must have bought a replacement radiator for a 172 cup.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Hello mate,im looking to get a new rad for my cup.Where did you end up getting one from please?.

As the only place i can find is PMS that actually tells you its for a cup,rather than GSF etc that dont and there rads have the same item number for 172 cup & a 182.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Hello mate,im looking to get a new rad for my cup.Where did you end up getting one from please?.

As the only place i can find is PMS that actually tells you its for a cup,rather than GSF etc that dont and there rads have the same item number for 172 cup & a 182.

Hi mate. I recently bought one from Carspares in Birmingham. For the life of me I can’t find the paperwork. The guys there seemed to know what I needed and the correct part was sent to me. Although if you try searching through their web page they don’t have one listed. Try calling them as I did and I’m sure they can help you. That particular day the garage where I was at, sent them a picture of mine and had it sent to me in 2 hours. Iirc it was only £45 with trade discount.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Looking at this thread again I can say that the Puremotorsport Cup rad is the correct one. Also the top picture above Is the correct one for a Cup. The difference is the hangers for the rad fan as I have circled. The other difference is where the 2 brackets push fit at the top where it bolts to the slam panel. I hope this helps
DA124845-03E2-4113-8A65-6855F45BC9AE.jpeg

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Great thanks mate,will have a look.I would just get puremotorsport one as correct one but looking at £100 posted where other places seem a lot cheaper.Do you know any difference with the alloy rads apart from being all alloy? @Eddie555

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Great thanks mate,will have a look.I would just get puremotorsport one as correct one but looking at £100 posted where other places seem a lot cheaper.Do you know any difference with the alloy rads apart from being all alloy? @Eddie555
Nope. No idea sorry.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Just For Ref

Clio 172 Cup Radiator - 7700428082

Standard 172/182 Radiator - 7700417175 (No Longer Available From Renault)
Standard 172/182 Radiator - 8660000436 (Motrio Alternative)

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.