ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Compressor and sand blaster

Cayman S, RB 182
Hi,

Im looking for a decent home sand blasting set up. I've loosely narrowed down to the wolf 90l belt drive compressor or a Clarke boxer 150l one. Sand blasting cabinet I'm open to ideas.

Does anyone on here run either compressor or similar? Any tips for sand blaster?

Cheers!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Me and Dave used a Sealey one recently, off of an industrial sized compressor. Was one of the worst jobs we’ve ever done, f**king hated it! So much escaped despite it being brand new.

Clio 172
Get the biggest compressor you can afford, flow rate is just as important as capacity. Sand blasting is a horrible job but sometimes there's no alternative, it's unbeatable for doing the underside of a car prior to welding. Great for getting in all the nooks an crannies you'd otherwise have no chance of reaching!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
As others have said, buy the biggest compressor you can as a blasting cabinet will use alot of air. You'll also need high air pressure to blast the stuff effectively.

This is what I have but the compressor is far to small to keep up, I've only been blasting small parts and mainly nuts and bolts before they go off to be plated.
157687b2133406abd4d0dda4f3b7656f.jpg
ed79fb451e7617403489ff69a4d89bd1.jpg
2ad62a074721e6415f64bc304da81dfd.jpg

dan's cast offs.
Unless you get something that runs over 20cfm then not really worth it, you'll spend all the time waiting for the compressor to try and catch up. If you get a pressure pot blaster then they use less air but still demand loads.

Cayman S, RB 182
The two ice been looking at are 14cfm and 3hp. The Clarke has 60l capacity over the wolf one but looking at £200 more. I' trying to work out if its worth the extra cash. Obviously itl be higher quality and I'll have better customer service through machine mart too.

As above with the nuts and bolts etc this is sort of what I'm looking to do with it. But would be good to have a decent compressor for running tools too

Cayman S, RB 182
As others have said, buy the biggest compressor you can as a blasting cabinet will use alot of air. You'll also need high air pressure to blast the stuff effectively.

This is what I have but the compressor is far to small to keep up, I've only been blasting small parts and mainly nuts and bolts before they go off to be plated.View attachment 1347199View attachment 1347200View attachment 1347201

How long can you run with that Compressor? Is it 50l or something? Looks like you've still managed to get a decent finish from it

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The two ice been looking at are 14cfm and 3hp. The Clarke has 60l capacity over the wolf one but looking at £200 more. I' trying to work out if its worth the extra cash. Obviously itl be higher quality and I'll have better customer service through machine mart too.

As above with the nuts and bolts etc this is sort of what I'm looking to do with it. But would be good to have a decent compressor for running tools too

Wolf one is probably only about £200 anyway right??

You could run two compressors??

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
sandblasting is a compressor killer.

if a compressor is running all the time, it will get to hot and die

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
So what compressor should I be looking at for the odd vehicle tyre/ degreaser attachments/ vehicle cleaning, and potentially some furniture painting?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ive just purchased a bead (same as sand) blasting setup, I purchased a 3hp 150L compressor from machine mart. without going 415v and industrial you cant go much bigger. think they do a 200L 3HP one as the biggest

anything that needs a lot of air needs a silly compressor. if you are going to hold your finger on the trigger for 20-30 seconds it starts to become an issue

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
So what compressor should I be looking at for the odd vehicle tyre/ degreaser attachments/ vehicle cleaning, and potentially some furniture painting?

For just odd bits and pieces a small one will be alrite, SGS have a 24L one for 90 quid or a 50 litre one for £120

Clarke do some special ones for 230V applications, 270L tank with twin compressors that can push 36cfm total.
Plenty strong enough for sand blasting, but at £1400 it's professional use only.

Last edited: