ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch not giving second gear + crunching reverse

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Hey all
Have stepped up to a 182 I just bought one on Sunday.

Got it looked over Monday night, problems are as follows..-
Clutch- has double washers on the cable, really heavy low biting point. Reverse gear crunch an not getting second gear. (Can find 2nd gear when engine off, mechanic says defo a clutch.?

Car has few other issues,
removing a big induction kit and going back to panel filter, is it easy enough to find original air intake parts and bolts needed?
Exhaust rubbers are all goosed, full sets of poly mounts seam to be available what sets are people going with?
This will keep me busy

Attachments

• 41E4DAB3-84D1-45AE-A1AA-5715B8D0C179.png
    41E4DAB3-84D1-45AE-A1AA-5715B8D0C179.png
    557.6 KB · Views: 180

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah sounds like clutch. @NorthloopCup is the resident gearbox guru.

Induction, yeah easy swap. What’s on it now?

Get signed up £12, stick a wanted thread up for a standard setup.

Exhaust hangers, @PhillipM is doing a group buy iirc

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Thanks

Gonna get the code from gearbox for mechanic and get the right clutch ordered, he said not to buy anything online for differences in the clutches.
Got the receipt for k+n will confirm it later today, it would be up for sale to anyone who wants.

Gonna have a day tomorrow cleaning a fluid/oil leak mess, to pinpoint where it’s from.
The steering fluid tank looks milky, mechanic says it’s proberly an additive to seal the system, can any1 point me in where to check along the rack and steering gear for common leak points.
Cleaned off the thermostat housing and down front of engine and clutch side so can check again if any new fluid seeping from there so will do the same with steering rack and rear of engine.

Clio 182 FF
If you can't get second gear even with the engine off then that sounds like you have a problem with 2nd gear in the gearbox too

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
With spacers on the clutch cable it sounds like somebody has tried to get a bit more life out of a worn out clutch and hide high biting point. If previous owner has been ramming it into gear i would exepct gearbox to have syncro damage. Order a valeo from gsf cheap as chips with discount and stick it in see if its ok.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Where are the spacers, are they on the end of the clutch cable by the gearbox? If so surely that would cause a higher biting point because you’re reducing pedal travel by effectively shortening the cable ?.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Where are the spacers, are they on the end of the clutch cable by the gearbox? If so surely that would cause a higher biting point because you’re reducing pedal travel by effectively shortening the cable ?.

Good point it might make bite higher - depends on what the self adjusting cable does. I reckon they were trying to get more leverage on the clutch arm

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Yeah gearbox side.. maybe putting them back in will reduce how stiff the clutch is. Till new clutch fitted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    707.5 KB · Views: 225

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Rocker cover crack and repair..
Cam covers or thermostat gasket oil leak/ slight seeping

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 192

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Yeah gearbox side.. maybe putting them back in will reduce how stiff the clutch is. Till new clutch fitted.
I doubt it’ll change the stiffness. That’ll be the springs/fingers in the clutch plate weakening over the years, I would imagine.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Just a little update, fitted the two u-washers to gearbox side where they originally where
and 24 hours later the misses has just phoned and iv got second gear working and driving, self adjusting clutch cable?
Next problem is no blowing hot or cold air.. fuses relay then motor to check?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Is the fan working on any speed?

I’d not it will be the reo stat which controls the speed.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
How safe is this driveshaft? :’(

Attachments

• 59886C51-63B4-4110-A6A3-561DE03BE76E.jpeg
    59886C51-63B4-4110-A6A3-561DE03BE76E.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 13E43033-B5E2-463A-8F7A-1ECEAEEA91BD.jpeg
    13E43033-B5E2-463A-8F7A-1ECEAEEA91BD.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 171

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Yeah inner boot two seals have gone, needing to get clutch changed so will get shafts as well.
Good discount on gsf/eurocarparts for 182 shafts aswell as clutch??

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Is a new cam seal on the box side changeable, just the one?

Rocker cover corner has been repaired can see the sealant, would I get sealant and cam seal and remove old seal to investigate the cover and the seal? Oil is going down side of the block to the stat and box/clutch and to the rear to the mount

Attachments

• E70E1594-6E17-4476-8DDA-E8B2E14641FE.jpeg
    E70E1594-6E17-4476-8DDA-E8B2E14641FE.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 134
  • CEDA2F28-6060-45DB-A88B-87F055AA82A6.jpeg
    CEDA2F28-6060-45DB-A88B-87F055AA82A6.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 149

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Try a new seal and sealant it might work for a bit, i think you will have to live with that oil leak unless you get the cam cover welded or replace the head though.