ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clip diagnostic tool

spasimodo

ClioSport Club Member
A lot of threads mention the need for Clip to activate the ABS after a brake fluid change. I've just changed fluid and used the old tried and tested method of taking the car to a place (gravelly car park) to activate the ABS half a dozen times plus re-bleed and now it's fine. I've not seen this mentioned in any threads as a way around the problem. Obviously I will have error codes but that's irrelevant to actually driving the car and can be addressed when convenient.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
That work around has been mentioned many of times i can assure you.

Once you've used Clip or an RSTuner to bleed the brakes, you'll see why it's favoured. So much easier.

PH2 172
That work around has been mentioned many of times i can assure you.

Once you've used Clip or an RSTuner to bleed the brakes, you'll see why it's favoured. So much easier.

Is this another ClioSport old wives tail?

2 weeks ago, with assistance, I changed out front & rear flexi`s with braided hoses & replaced the rear calipers.

On completion, we bled the brakes in the order of RR, LR, LF & RF, 4 full pumps of the pedal for each caliper into a container using 6ft of tubing, so that each

bleed nipple was only opened & closed the once.

The car never the lift, and there was no need to turn on the ignition or start the engine, let alone go sliding round a car park!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

2 weeks ago, with assistance, I changed out front & rear flexi`s with braided hoses & replaced the rear calipers.

On completion, we bled the brakes in the order of RR, LR, LF & RF, 4 full pumps of the pedal for each caliper into a container using 6ft of tubing, so that each

The car never the lift, and there was no need to turn on the ignition or start the engine, let alone go sliding round a car park!

I've done it the manual way plenty of times, but you can't beat letting the abs pump do it for you.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Maybe, but there was no need for someone to start a myth that you have no chance without clip at some time in the past.
I think it was more for if air got into the abs pump that the braking hard on loose ground thing was suggested

PH2 172
I think it was more for if air got into the abs pump that the braking hard on loose ground thing was suggested

So you don`t need Clip unless you are changing the ABS pump, or silly enough to take the cap off the reservoir whilst working on open system.

My mate was telling me about a bloke that bought a fake Honda airbag, and ended up looking like Red Dwarfs Rimmer.

I`m not sure if that`s a true story either.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You can wedge the brake pedal half way down on abs setup if no access to clip to stop the abs block draining

spasimodo

ClioSport Club Member

That's interesting because that's always how I've bled brakes in the past starting with the furthest away from the master cylinder yet the Haynes manual for the Clio recommends LF, RF LR RR as the bleeding sequence (which I followed). I can see a sort of logic in bleeding the shortest line first to get rid of air in the master cylinder but I'm not sure?

Thanks for all your input.

PH2 172
That's interesting because that's always how I've bled brakes in the past starting with the furthest away from the master cylinder yet the Haynes manual for the Clio recommends LF, RF LR RR as the bleeding sequence (which I followed). I can see a sort of logic in bleeding the shortest line first to get rid of air in the master cylinder but I'm not sure?

Thanks for all your input.

Logic dictates you get the air out the longest line 1st.

Anyway, with 2 people working together, it`s all done in 5 minutes.

spasimodo

ClioSport Club Member
Logic dictates you get the air out the longest line 1st.

Anyway, with 2 people working together, it`s all done in 5 minutes.

Yes - but - if you're bleeding a newly replaced master cylinder, most of the air is going to be in the master cylinder itself, so I can see the sense in venting that throught the shortest line available?