ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport #3

Hi all, James here, you might remember me from such Renault Sports as;

182 FF
254198_10150637558890582_637205581_18845532_2832284_n.jpg

197 Cup
Clio1_zps4519d0d4.jpg

The 197 Cup went to make way for a house and was replaced with a Golf GT TDI (which I still own).

After looking for a little while, I felt it was time to pick up another 182. I had wanted another 197 but the poor mpg and common faults put me off.

Today I went up to Bridgewater to collect this ff 182.
20161023_134948_zpsat6v6rfm.jpg

20161023_134937_zpstuznt2pq.jpg

IMG_20161023_152528_zpsmi8jcriu.jpg

Although it's been to Wales & Bridgewater, turns out that it lived under 5 minutes drive from my house for quite a while.
Spec
It has 112k on the clock, a load of paperwork and service history including 3 x belts changes however no receipts for the last 2 years.
Ktec have made a fortune from the car with springs and shocks (didn't know that they made their own?
Ktec exhaust with decat
Ktec induction.
Sparco drivers seat - found adverts online with it fully stripped bar this seat.
Blue steering wheel with receipt for £39.99 :/
15" Pro Race 1.2's
Fogs removed for brake cooling according to the advert however there is piping for the air filter. So brake cooling on the drivers side.

Issues to fix
Tow strap to be removed
Front lights to restored
Air con blows hot/tepid only
Radio doesn't work
Front tyres to be replaced
Exhaust hangers to be replaced
Sparco seat to be removed - my back is killing
Steering wheel to be changed
New battery needed in key fob
I'm sure that I'll find more.

The seller said that there's a thread for this car on here somewhere, if anybody knows of it, I'd be interested to see more photo/info.

I was right they weren't Ktec springs
20161027_201753_zpsrzs3ukkp.jpg

Apex springs :/ they'll be in the bin soon and replaced with pro lines.

Also bought a ten quid light refurb kit. Went over it in the dark and not a bad effort for cheap but I'm going to finish it this weekend.
20161026_195505_zpsuvo1ds8t.jpg

Tow strap and French stickers have gone. Plates have been removed and smaller front one along with a clean rear one has been ordered.

Also received some polybushed exhaust mounts but need to soak the bolts on the current ones in wd40.

Cheap steering wheel removed to find a MOMO boss, so I'll be popping a Omp Targa wheel on.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I hope you used proplates for your number plates.
Car looks clean! Liking the Troy Mc'clure quotes.

I hope you used proplates for your number plates.
Car looks clean! Liking the Troy Mc'clure quotes.
I used Fancy Plates (as I have with previous cars) then noticed pro plates, so guessing I could have saved a few quid with them?

Is that a cable tie holding the spring on?!

I think that ebay would describe it as 'custom suspension mods'. But yes, that is a cable tie. The listing said it was Ktec springs and shocks, which don't exist? So I'm a bit worried what the shocks are now.

If anybody does stumble upon any previous progress threads/owners on here, please let me know as I'd love to find out more about it's history.

Never heard of pro plates? Always been fancy plates for the 3/4 from memory. Time goes on I guess!

KTR do have there own shocks which come with there own brand coilovers which I doubt your are as don't think you can buy them seperately. I wouldn't worry if you are going proline and minimal lowering if they were standard items, as long as they aren't leaking.

RE: History - I remember a lad called Sam Wood who was on here, his misses had it before they moved to the States and was trying to sell it quickly and for a bargain, can't remember if I saw it on FB or Instagram but it was a fair while ago now. He was on here with a black dCi on white rota's, resprayed brighter and more pearl than Flame Red 172, and a 172 Cup.

Have a search it'll be here

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
ProPlates are a company I got in touch with after fancyplates put up their postage and all round prices. They supply a 520 x 85 plate to the same quality as fancyplates for only £10.99. Believe it's £21 at fancyplates.

RE: History - I remember a lad called Sam Wood who was on here, his misses had it before they moved to the States and was trying to sell it quickly and for a bargain, can't remember if I saw it on FB or Instagram but it was a fair while ago now. He was on here with a black dCi on white rota's, resprayed brighter and more pearl than Flame Red 172, and a 172 Cup. Have a search it'll be here

That would make sense. There's quite a few receipts for a female in holsworthy or axminster (at work so unsure which). I'll do a search.

ProPlates are a company I got in touch with after fancyplates put up their postage and all round prices. They supply a 520 x 85 plate to the same quality as fancyplates for only £10.99. Believe it's £21 at fancyplates.

Blimey, that is good. I should search harder!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I must've contacted nearly every numberplate manufacturer... they'll do a plain standard sized rear and 520 x 85 front for £21

This weekend I made a proper mess of the feature wall in our longue so moved onto the Clio.
Went over the headlights again and although not perfect, they're much better.
IMG_20161030_190211_zpsiikwa1yv.jpg

IMG_20161030_170634_zpsrs6gzcbq.jpg

Buttons on the climate panel had rubbed off so swapped this for a unit for £5. The buttons are now visible however there are quite a few marks around the surround (hence no flash in pic 2!)

IMG_20161030_213935_zpswkpwu7r6.jpg

Polished up the exhaust in preparation for fitting polybushed mounts next week.
20161030_154741_zpsmbwlc6ho.jpg

Annoyingly I've noticed that the mirror lights, interior lights and boot light don't work. While routing around I found these cable tied cables. Am I right in guessing that the should be connecting these lights?
20161030_205931_zpsl8kmqhrf.jpg

20161030_202752_zpsklmxcavw.jpg

Update from this weekend;

New wheel is on and I love it but think I'm going to change the bolts to some black ones.
IMG_20161031_173920_zpsrhitd6zu.jpg

Took it outside to see my light 'refurb' in a better light, both are a bit patchy so need another once over but a rather mega improvment in my eyes

IMG_20161105_142159_zpsmlx5o0vn.jpg

We also fitted the polybushed exhaust brackets so it now sits almost level instead of a few inches below where it should

IMG_20161106_170322_zpslyyhd8jk.jpg

Bucket seat was removed and the standard one was fixed back in place. However it would seem link the drivers one is utter shat. Doesn't lock into position and doesn't have the adjustment to go forward or back.

Cable wise I now have working, cig lighter and glovebox light. In the boot I've dug out the cable for the boot light and borrow a mate's light to check that it does work, which it does!

Wipers and scuttle are off to try and see why there no water spraying with no joy yet. I think that it might be the pick up within the bottole itself. To be continued.

Next up, finish sorting the wiper jets and then look for the cables for the main interior light/vanity lights.

Quick update - with no photos. Sorry.

Christmas has been and gone and as I promised myself, I've started spending on this again today.
I have ordered

Cooksport springs
Service kit - including plugs.
Brembo HC disks for the front with DS2500 pads.
OEM disks and pads for the rear
ATE Supergold brake fluid
Aerial base - need to buy a stubby aerial now.

I've found a modded scenic shifter locally with yanoo 3.0 which I'll be picking up soon.

Only thing I really need to buy now is tyres. It has a set of 195/15/50 Nankang n2sr on at the moment. 3 are pretty much new and one is bald on the edge :/. So I'm trying to decide which mid range all year round set to go with and then I'll flog the others.

Should drive great after the brakes pal

What did you decide on tyres?

Haven't ordered any yet.
Because I ended up spending so much last week I'm thinking of going mid range for the time being.
Demon Tweeks have got a good deal on some Yoko Pradas. Just in time for the cold weather coming our way.

What a wierd few days it has been.
I had a week off so spent some time sorting insurance. Neil at Greenlight sorted me a great deal so it's now officially insured.
Took it out, loved every second of it, came home and put it up for sale :eek:penmouth:. Just didn't feel like it was for me.

However a few days have passed and I've decided to keep it for a weekend and dry day car and to keep my Golf GT TDI for the commuting etc.

IMG_20170121_153525_517_zpsoagtxn9g.jpg

IMG_20170121_152428_zpsgjzhdsgt.jpg

Tyres wise, as it's weekend only, I've orderd a pair of ns-2rs for the front to match the front.

I've changed the aerial base however I've been unable to find the connection within the car yet. CD player doesn't work so I'm not too bothered just yet.
I've also fitted my smaller front plate, clean rear plate and LED sidelight bulbs.

Once my tyres arrived it going to a mates gararge for;
Modded Scenic shifter with Yanoo 3.0
Cooksport springs
Full service
Gearbox oil
Disks and pads all round with fluid.
and a few other little bits that I've made a mess of.

Took it out yesterday only for somebody else in a blue 182 to park next to me.

IMG_20170205_150325_244_zpsfoejzpkm.jpg

Off to the garage it went today

IMG_20170206_075852_235_zpsyr7xp1vl.jpg

Looking forward to getting it back then I can start on sorting the stereo and actually drive/clean it.

This is now back on the road as my weekend toy. Really enjoying it....when it's dry and the roads are quiet of course.

IMG_20170212_143354_217_zpshdkmlxzl.jpg

IMG_20170211_123455_241_zpsv3c54cwh.jpg

When I bought this, the advert said that the headunit didn't work. Fair enough I thought. A JVC unit with bluetooth/usb etc came up for £30 posted so went for that.
20170301_135651_zpstmm2utlx.jpg

Plugged it in, turned it on...tweeters worked, nothing else.
Speaker cover off
20170302_184155_zpscsabu2bz.jpg

Damnit!
Door card off
20170302_212601_zpsotm9v3mb.jpg

There are cables there, which is a relief. I've ordered some bascily Pioneer speakers and spade connectors and hope to have sound by the middle of next week.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Smart. Shame about the 197. Why are they so bad on fuel when it's pretty much the same engine? Is the gearbox to blame?
Smart looking 182.

Smart. Shame about the 197. Why are they so bad on fuel when it's pretty much the same engine? Is the gearbox to blame?
Smart looking 182.
Agreed, it's a shame as it sounded and looked epic. I think people say its due to the extra weight and gearbox?
I sold it at just the right time though....seem to drop in value in a mega way recently.

Hey!

I was bored and looking up to see whether someone had my old car and turns out you do!

Read through the comments and they are accurate, I owned it 2013-2014 and sold it because I was between the UK/USA. I know the previous owner as well who adored it!

Do you still own it now? I loved it!

Lucy :)

Attachments

• 0F32798A-A423-461E-831A-E69DF0DFD7CF.jpeg
    0F32798A-A423-461E-831A-E69DF0DFD7CF.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 153