ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio rally car

172 cup, Impreza P1
Is that just for circuit racing or would that include rallying Kenny?

The Msa just amaze me, you can spend stupid amounts of money on sequential gearboxes and engines but for something in comparison rather simply and cheaper to produce and it's banded, not as if your completely redesigning the rear of chassis! Mad!!

They are surely just playing it safe that everyone and anyone cannot design their own suspension parts that could potentially fail and injure the driver, passenger or anyone else. Sequential box's are not likely to cause injury to anyone.

I dont think it's anything to do with keeping it fair for everyone in class.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
They are surely just playing it safe that everyone and anyone cannot design their own suspension parts that could potentially fail and injure the driver, passenger or anyone else. Sequential box's are not likely to cause injury to anyone.

I dont think it's anything to do with keeping it fair for everyone in class.

So far as I recall there are no regulations relating to the standard in which your car is built other than roll cages and other safety devices, seat mounts etc.

You can make your own parts as you see fit so long as they meet the other regulations, if they fail that's your problem.

Some championships and classes do stipulate you need to retain the same method of gear selection and many state you must use a block and or cylinder head that was fitted to the production car.

I would say the rules on not being allowed changing the type of suspension are quite reasonable, they (msa) have to draw a line somewhere otherwise you very quickly end up with a free for all.

They had a shake up of the sprint and hillclimbs regs up here a few years ago, a lot of what used to be allowed in the road car classes was banned, so you either had to remove the parts or if you wanted to leave your car as it was you had to move to modified road saloons.

I appreciate in most cases modifications that are technically out with the regs can and do go unchallenged but 'if' you start to win regularly your inviting people to protest your car.

I'd rather win and stick to the rules but that's just me.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Is that just for circuit racing or would that include rallying Kenny?

The Msa just amaze me, you can spend stupid amounts of money on sequential gearboxes and engines but for something in comparison rather simply and cheaper to produce and it's banded, not as if your completely redesigning the rear of chassis! Mad!!

The guy I spoke to is just for speed events, so hills and sprints but I suspect they would apply to circuit racing too. Can't say for sure about rallying but his reply suggests it would.

Clio172cup rally car
update time:
so I haven't been on here for sometime now, mainly due to work and family commitment, with the arrival of my daughter and starting my new job since finishing my degree :smile: the clio has been very much on the back burner. The car has mostly sat idle with the exception of one track day down Pembrey which resulted in the clutching giving up and a small oil leak from the crack seal. So the engine was pulled and i purchased a new lighten flywheel and AP racing clutch.
IMG_1043.JPG

However this didn't result in the engine and box going back in the car, getting rather frustrated I toyed with the idea of completely selling up but I just couldn't bare the thought of having to give it all up and not having something to tinker with, on the other hand I think my missis would of been happy for all of it to go haha.
So after a little bit of research to see what parts are compatible with other Renault models.....I bought this!!

IMG_0013.JPG

A Renault twingo 133! turns out the chassis floor is very similar if not the same in places. I've bought it as a bare shell with a lot of the hard work done, all the sound deeding has been removed already and all the unnecessary brackets taken out etc. The plan is to transfer all of the running gear and electrics from the clio over to this, Hopefully have some decent weight saving over the original Clio too, With the long term aim of make a full on s1600 style twingo the same as what currently run in rallycross.

IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
Ive already offered up the front subframe and suspension which at first glance I thought would be a straight fit, but no! it wasn't going to be that easy! haha
The front mounting points are 30mm further forward on the subframe which means im going to have to fabricate new chassis leg mounts, but it shouldn't be to difficult.

Any all this now means the Clio shell is now up for sale. I will be posting a for sale thread shortly!

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Is there that much of a weight advantage in the Twingo shell? should be cool when finished though! Can you not just unpick the front subframe mounts and move then further forwards? they look pretty much identical to the clio ones so should be fairly straight forward.

Clio172cup rally car
Is there that much of a weight advantage in the Twingo shell? should be cool when finished though! Can you not just unpick the front subframe mounts and move then further forwards? they look pretty much identical to the clio ones so should be fairly straight forward.
Yes I think there's a 70kg kerb weight difference, nothing major but every little helps [emoji23]
For the mounts I'm think of doing this
6cf1d56efa992d0d124e6479e5cec3ac.jpg

This is what they do to the s1600 twingo to fit a Clio subframe.
I just fancied something different and a bit newer that wasn't going to break the bank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I can see why they do that, they look much stronger in regards to taking jumps etc, my worry would be any frontal impact is just going to bend the leg rather than the mount just bending. But i guess just don't crash? haha

Clio172cup rally car
Small Update...
I've managed to fit all the running gear from the Clio over to Twingo and its now on all fours! all fits great apart from the sub frame front mounts. The front looks pretty mean and wide :smile:
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Plan now is to sort out the roll cage and start stripping all the underseal from the wheel arches and underneath, need to make a spit so I can do it properly, I was toying with the idea of acid dipping it, but to keep the cost down I'm going to tackle it myself. Biggest hurdle now is selling the Clio shell. Once that's done I can order the cage and get it inside.

The cage is also going to be a bit special. I've managed to get hold of a 'to scale 2d drawing of the cages fitted to the rallycross twingos which have been designed to replicate the clio s1600. So I've created a 3d model of the cage. the cage includes triangulation to all suspension points including the rear beam, plus extra bars through the bulkhead between the suspension turret and the 'A' pillar bar!
rollcage.png

Time to get the grinder and heat gun out now! :smile: