ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio K4T Project

alexandre.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio K4T
Hey guys,

I would like to make some updates since the project will take a new direction, everything was running really well until the next Trackday at Autodromo Capuava

On lap 10 the turbo bolts come loose because too many agressive curbs and probably they needed be checked some time...
Well, at home i removed the Turbo manifold, only one bolt left to tell whats happened hahaha, so i decided remover the head cover because oil leak and change the timming belt.

But everything get worse, i didnt lock the crankshaft correct and didnt check the engine manually before start (a lot of confidence), so the engine didnt start and 4 intake valves are gone, remove the cylinder head to review and change the fckd valves, install the head back and 10 kilometers later the piston said goodbye :cry:
ed50d344-346d-4b58-9858-77da0774cfbd.jpg

So left the engine in the workshop for rebuild and a few days later the car was back to the streets

1d22fddf-a806-444c-a9fe-6b21b852228d.jpg

Have some problems with the gearbox, the Reverse Gear axle warped dont know how and started to lock the gearbox when you used the Reverse leaving you with just the 5th gear, gearbox removed and fixed ready for another trackday at Interlagos

Was a really great day, i was able to break the 2 minutes barrier at Interlagos, as a comparison, its like do a lap under 8 minutes on the green hell
I was very very happy with the result of the clio after so much time invested in the car and people who didn't believe me.
For reference: The Megane RS 265 (Stock with only 7k miles) with a professional driver made the best time of 2:00.730 (only 4 laps)

So, at the end of the day the engine started to show a little bit of premature wear spiting oil fom the breath when pushed hard :(

IMG_4393.jpg

💙

I'm going to stop here so I don't get too long post

alexandre.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio K4T
Well, while i was trying to do a lap under 2 minutes and keep the car running fixing all problems, i decided to try a new engine setup.
First i was thinking about trying buil a F4RT, but i have some problems with the K4MT, so i was looking for something more "simple" like a N/A engine, less things on the engine bay to gave me problems.

So i bought a F4R 772 engine from a Megane 2 (we dont have renault sport in brazil), i decided use the megane because use the same F4A Block like 197/200, meg 2 225 and meg 3 250/265/275

IMG-20191216-WA0044.jpg

So Cylinder head i bought on facebook with Ryan Thomas

20200409_194341[1].jpg

20200409_194617[1].jpg

VW Ross Forged piston 83mm flat head to adjust the compression ratio (Compression height 33mm)

20200525_141122[1].jpg

After talk with Richard Gray and Catcams i decided use the 404 cams and took the opportunity to buy a lightweight flywheel with engine dynamics

20200821_131308[1].jpg

20200821_131036[1].jpg

IMG-20201029-WA0046.jpg

IMG-20201103-WA0040.jpg

IMG-20210129-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20210129-WA0022.jpg

alexandre.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio K4T
I am not sure the 1.6 driveshafts will fit that gearbox. Maybe I am wrong, I hope I am.
Or the gearbox onto the engine block.

Im running 1*2 driveshafts, but anyway you can use the 1.6 driveshaft with JB3 or JC5 gearbox

About the engine block you can redo the gearbox bolt pattern

Bolt pattern:
Yellow: TL4 / ND0 / PK4
White: JB3 / JC5 / JH3

IMG-20200403-WA0046.jpg

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I havent done it on my engine block yet, but we are thinking about using the Scenic/Clio Oil Pan to have the first points of alignment
Yes,best thing is to have the oil pan.
Try to have some guides on the bolts to center better than just the bolt. Like a sleeve.
Thanks for tips!!

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I havent done it on my engine block yet, but we are thinking about using the Scenic/Clio Oil Pan to have the first points of alignment
Having the water pump on the engine block is a big thing imo. So have fun with this project, Looking forward to see your progress.

alexandre.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio K4T
Having the water pump on the engine block is a big thing imo. So have fun with this project, Looking forward to see your progress.
Yeaah water pupm and not more necessary adapt the auxiliary pulley on 197/200 head.

Thx mate

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
yep, fit the oil pan from the gearbox you want to run along with flywheel and clutch for alignment then drill the block for the smaller diameter block mountings. Ive done it before 197 engine to JC5 and my current twingo has the F4rt with a JR5. I've not seen a factory block with both sets of holes but the bigger/later block does have the metal still in place for the smaller fitting gearbox.

alexandre.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio K4T
So continuing the Clio history

1 month after the greatest clio peform at Interlagos this guy gave up xD

D_NQ_NP_874154-MLB40940092980_022020-O.jpg

All teeth are gone, dont know if its common to happens, but noted there are many for sale to replace, so i think its could be a common issue
Raplaced the driveshaft (have one spare), so clio is back to the road again

Happy fixed Clio and happy doggo

clio e bentinho.jpg

Decided to remove material from the calipers to be able to use less spacer and run 205/50 with et35 wheels and i took the opportunity to do the brake ducts too

20201209_214004[1].jpg

20201215_012126[1].jpg

20201215_015920[1].jpg

Camber Adjust on the dampers

20201221_225613[1].jpg

V6/Trophy spoiler :))

20201211_012619[1].jpg

And that is how ended 2020, a really impressive result at the track and many good moments with the car

alexandre.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio K4T
From here it started a BAD year for the Clio

A friend rented a Mini Cooper S 2.0 Turbo, so we decided compare the Clio with the Mini, but in the middle of the night the downpipe decide split in two parts hahahahahaha

So i stopped at a gas station and started remove the whole Exhausty

escape.jpg

downpipe.jpg

Ready to test xD

20210122_031129[1].jpg

And the result:

Clio 3 x 0 Cooper S
Clio 0 x 1 Gearbox

404 Error Circlip Not Found

circlip.jpg

Circlip replaced and time to remove the downpipe to fix it, while i was disassembling the downpipe to fix it, i find another problem
I use a external wastegate from Tial for better boost control, so the original wastegate has to be welded to stay closed all the time and only the external wastegate control the pressure, so that how i found it

wastegate.jpg

Another thing fixed and a new test, decided to test the ceramic coat on the exhausty manifold and downpipe to reduce the engine bay temps
And damn the results was really impressive, the turbo spool started 500rpm early, more agressive and more boost on high rpm, now i started run with 17.4 psi and omfg the car changed a lot.

And we know when the car start to be to so agressive, fast and pulling reaaally hard this mean that the car will break soon HAHAHAHA

ceramic coat.jpg

So 2 weeks later that happened:
A guy was about to overtake me and didn't see that there was a broken car in the side lane, instead of braking he decided to try to pass between the two cars

the result: :cry:

door.jpg

The engine started to spiting more oil from the breath oil, two weeks later the engine said goodbye
What i found:

IMG-20210418-WA0042.jpeg

So at that moment i started do realize how much time and money are necessary to keep the car running fine using as a daily car, realize how much money still needed to make the project get a little close to project we can found here at CSOC, so i decided stop it, keep it simple and original to be able to use all day without so many problems and less fun
The last thing i will try is the F4R engine with MS3 ECU and A/C.
Decided to sell the Clio Sport bumper, wings and headlight after almost hit the car 3 times, these parts have a very high value here, so I choose to sell and with the money buy a car for a simpler and differente project using the mechanics parts that I already have.

Interior almost original with megane steering wheel

20210416_104559[1].jpg

Engine and gearbox out, engine bay almost ready to be cleaned

IMG-20210427-WA0063[1].jpeg