ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio extreme 4 as a track car?

Clio mk2 extreme 4
New to the Clio scene and making sort of long term plans. I have a 2005 Clio extreme 4. As I’m on my first year insurance only doing minor mods and a fix up. However I love the go kart feel and the lightness of it and it has me hooked on the clio. So my long term plan would be a fwd track car maybe running 200-300hp and just stripping the weight. Has anyone got any experience adding power to the 1.2? Is it worth it or shall I save for the 2 litre sport as they’re getting rarer and the price is rising and as I’m planning to strip it I don’t think I would be a favourite if I ruined a future classic?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
the 1.2 is never going to make 200-300
get a dedicated track ready 1*2 quite a few of them about, un less you like the process of building a car. Still get a 1*2 though and do it yourself, don't worry about value, life's to short.......

Clio mk2 extreme 4
get a dedicated track ready 1*2 quite a few of them about, un less you like the process of building a car. Still get a 1*2 though and do it yourself, don't worry about value, life's to short.......
yeah I was worried about the engine. What power have people got out of it? What do the 182 sports go for these days as I see them for 5 thousand plus and not many actually for sale, and if they’re going up in value as I’m at least a year or so off affording one with insurance prices and I’m currently still in education. Has anyone tried engine swaps?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Five grand ?! Where are you looking ?

There's 15 2.0s on autotrader under £4k at the moment.

Engine swaps were borderline pointless 10 years ago when 2.0s were still £5k+ as you'd still need to change most of the cars electrics and underbody to get it to work properly.

Now you can get them for under £1k, there's absolutely zero point unless you're just going to not declare it to insurance, which renders that invalid and then what's the point of paying for it anyway...

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
save your money, leave the sensible daily as a sensible daily, then buy another car.
you'll be able pick a rough 172/182/197 for a couple of grand. Strip it out and upgrade the handling mods.

Clio mk2 extreme 4
Five grand ?! Where are you looking ?

There's 15 2.0s on autotrader under £4k at the moment.

Engine swaps were borderline pointless 10 years ago when 2.0s were still £5k+ as you'd still need to change most of the cars electrics and underbody to get it to work properly.

Now you can get them for under £1k, there's absolutely zero point unless you're just going to not declare it to insurance, which renders that invalid and then what's the point of paying for it anyway...
I’m looking specifically at the 172’s and the 187’s. I love the mk2 shell. I also don’t like it in silver which I know is really picky of me which is why I like the blue/grey extreme I’ve got now. And as I was saying I’m thinking long term so the engine swap would be way off in the distance but what I do to the car now would be impacted a lot by future plans. So limiting my auto trader search but those factors only come up with very few options which is why I was asking about modifying the 1.2. On a sub note though as I’m new to the Clio scene. What’s the difference between the sport, cup and trophy? From the face they all look similar so what’s the key differences?

Clio mk2 extreme 4
save your money, leave the sensible daily as a sensible daily, then buy another car.
you'll be able pick a rough 172/182/197 for a couple of grand. Strip it out and upgrade the handling mods.
Based on a lot of the replies I think that will be the plan. With the 172 and the 182 how many of the parts are sort of plug and play between them and the 1.2 I have. Just as a new clio owner they have the same shell so if I was to get coilovers, alloys and the new headlights on mine. If I keep the originals should the swap over? Are the stud patterns the same and that?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
All the big/important parts are different, pretty much only the base shells are the same.

Clio mk2 extreme 4
All the big/important parts are different, pretty much only the base shells are the same.

So if I was to get a set of competition coil-overs to lower my car, they wouldn’t fit the sports? I get the big differences like engine and that but with stud patterns, struts and headlights? Are they all different like mounting points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio mk2 extreme 4
When you're lapping the circuit in your silver 182 you'll look back and wonder why you ever started this thread...

I had a small street race with a blue one and was in absolute awe has he flew past, and away from me. Obviously as a first year I had a black box so it was only 0-40mph over a roundabout and then I pulled out the way to let him past. I knew I was not gunna out drag him or even challenge him but it was fun and a properly cool little car haha. It’s just the silver though. Not a fan

Reactions: Gus

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I get the impression this is your first car?
You'll not be affording the insurance by doing any mods really tbh..... Especially coilovers, brakes, wheels and tyres etc.

save hard for a couple of years. Then buy something to use on track

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So if I was to get a set of competition coil-overs to lower my car, they wouldn’t fit the sports? I get the big differences like engine and that but with stud patterns, struts and headlights? Are they all different like mounting points?

Yep different hubs etc, they differ between the sports as well so some coil overs that fit a 172 won’t fit a 182 cup pack etc.

Take everyone’s advice and save up for a 1*2.

Clio mk2 extreme 4
I get the impression this is your first car?
You'll not be affording the insurance by doing any mods really tbh..... Especially coilovers, brakes, wheels and tyres etc.

save hard for a couple of years. Then buy something to use on track

Yeah first car, first year. It wasn’t any mods I was going to do soon it was just long term plan. After paying for lessons and insurance there wasn’t much money left for my car so it’s not in great condition. So all I was going to do this year was look at fixing it up if I was going to keep it long term. I’ve done the little thing like lights, wind deflectors and replacement parts from the scrap yard. The next plans were front and rear bumper as the previous owner didn’t exactly look after it. But as a very rough estimate they’re going to be a few hundred each easy so there may not be much point as I bought it cheap and will sell it on cheap

Clio mk2 extreme 4
Yep different hubs etc, they differ between the sports as well so some coil overs that fit a 172 won’t fit a 182 cup pack etc.

Yeah I’m sensing that a lot from the comments. Cheers for the help. It’s just save, save, save from now on then and keep an eye out on them and my insurance prices

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member

Come on, we all know that's not how cs works!

@Lewis Blacker get yourself along to https://www.cliosport.net/threads/cliosport-festival-2019-book-tickets-now.822279/ and get a passenger band and a helmet and someone will take you out for a few laps. You might even discover how expensive a track car can be?.

Clio mk2 extreme 4
Come on, we all know that's not how cs works!

@Lewis Blacker get yourself along to https://www.cliosport.net/threads/cliosport-festival-2019-book-tickets-now.822279/ and get a passenger band and a helmet and someone will take you out for a few laps. You might even discover how expensive a track car can be[emoji23].

I have a helmet and been out on track in various 200sx’s. I’m also building a 500bhp s14a with my dad at a local garage. I’m fully prepared for the money pit a track car is. But that’s part of the fun is it not? Work your ass off all month just to spend all your earnings on a track day killing the brand new tires. Using all the expensive v-power and 9 times out of 10 breaking the car which you have to repair.

I know I’m probably coming off as every stereotypical 17/18 yo with a clio and I’m not saying I know everything about cars because I really don’t. I’m learning as I fix up my car. Yes I have a sub in the boot. Who hasn’t once in their life. I’m not a little boy racer [emoji23][emoji23].

Although that does sound fun I’ll have a look into it.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I have a helmet and been out on track in various 200sx’s. I’m also building a 500bhp s14a with my dad at a local garage. I’m fully prepared for the money pit a track car is. But that’s part of the fun is it not? Work your ass off all month just to spend all your earnings on a track day killing the brand new tires. Using all the expensive v-power and 9 times out of 10 breaking the car which you have to repair.

I know I’m probably coming off as every stereotypical 17/18 yo with a clio and I’m not saying I know everything about cars because I really don’t. I’m learning as I fix up my car. Yes I have a sub in the boot. Who hasn’t once in their life. I’m not a little boy racer [emoji23][emoji23].

Although that does sound fun I’ll have a look into it.

Nice one. I dare say a Clio is a different experience to a 200sx on track.
CSF is a great way to meet club members and is generally s bloody good weekend. There's no restrictions to entry (maybe there should be some though ?) so don't think you won't be welcome because you rock up in a 1.2.

Clio mk2 extreme 4
CSF is a great way to meet club members and is generally s bloody good weekend. There's no restrictions to entry (maybe there should be some though [emoji848]) so don't think you won't be welcome because you rock up in a 1.2.

I went on an sxoc track day which I presume is similar to the csf. Due to my black box I definitely couldn’t take it out on track, although I would love to give it a bash [emoji23][emoji23]. And yeah I can imagine some of the stuff that shows up. I’ve just kept mine clean. Will definitely look into and hopefully meet the club members and admire the cars

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
CSF is a great way to meet club members and is generally s bloody good weekend. There's no restrictions to entry (maybe there should be some though ?) so don't think you won't be welcome because you rock up in a 1.2.
No clios on turinis allowed