ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Z20LET 2.0T Conversion

Clio 182
Really like that. Big fan of the z20let. Had a coupe turbo running approx 300bhp a few years back, they make an incredible noise when de-catted. Would love to see this in the flesh.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah very pleased with the noise!

Astra VXR
Lack of PCJ's will keep peak figures down, but you'll run 280bhp all day long in that reliably, the Z20 was a strong engine.
Sensitive to exhaust changes on the Astra VXR, they can release a decent amount of power with the right exhaust set up, but they sound great on load, very addictive.

Very tidy build as well, little bit jealous of the workmanship gone into this!

Clio 182
Great workmanship, but i kind of have to question why when you can boost the F4R reliably now for not a huge amount of money.

Hah yeah had expected this question at some point! To be honest there wasn't much more logic to it than looking at my mates Corsa LET and thinking I wanted that in a Clio Sport...

There were times when I did look at it and think I should of just turbo'ed it deffinately! This created a lot more work with the mounts, clutch system, driveshafts, wiring etc etc but in the end the only rationalization was 'yeah that'll be sweet,'

Clio 182
Looks brilliant mate, hat off to you. What fabrication is needed in something like this?

Thanks a lot man,

Nothing too crazy but lot of measuring required!

Needed all new driver side, gearbox and dogbone mounts, and a new front torque reaction mount on the subframe as it runs this in the Astra, quite similar to whats required for the 225 conversion. Took a while to find the right bushings for the torque mounts, came from some Peugeot / Citroen model in the end, running one front and back to keep the stiffness matched.

Boost pipework to make up, made a crude beading tool to bosh in the press which worked pretty good.

Exhaust to make up, turbo on the front makes the route trickier than before, has to go up and over the subframe at the back,

In pursuit of reliability moved the rad forward as far as possible and heat shielded the turbo and wrapped the downpipe to reduce the radiated heat soak, running the 182 radiator, works really well controls the heat spot on. LET has a oil / water cooler as standard.

Mounting the intercooler without compromising the front cross member.

Quite a bit of work to get the gear shifter cables to work in this application, surprisingly.

Driveshafts to mock up, Astra inner CVs with the 182 outers

Pedal box work for new Astra throttle pedal reworked to keep the pedals all looking OEM, hydraulic clutch conversion using a mix of megane pedal, clio arm and astra master cylinder, new rigid and braided lines as required.

Went to town making a new cup holder arrangement as the old one was out by 1/4" with the Astra gear selector fitted ffs!

Had to mod the sump a fair bit to get satis clearance to the subframe, hasnt really affected the volume just relocated the forward most flange internally and plated a small relief on the bottom.

Clio 182
Lack of PCJ's will keep peak figures down, but you'll run 280bhp all day long in that reliably, the Z20 was a strong engine.
Sensitive to exhaust changes on the Astra VXR, they can release a decent amount of power with the right exhaust set up, but they sound great on load, very addictive.

Very tidy build as well, little bit jealous of the workmanship gone into this!

Thanks bud!

Yeah was thinking if I ever want to go much further than this ill drop in an LEH in while im at it and gain the jets then, probably still keep the F23 though, not sure the M32 6 speed will fit without getting into the chassis leg and would create a lot of rework of the shifter and driveshafts etc,

Yeah its such a distinctive sound the Z20, really like it!

Clio 182
Thank you everyone for your replies, nice to have some feedback on it after building it in silence for ages!

Will upload more pics and videos soon,

RB Clio 182
Thanks bud!

Yeah was thinking if I ever want to go much further than this ill drop in an LEH in while im at it and gain the jets then, probably still keep the F23 though, not sure the M32 6 speed will fit without getting into the chassis leg and would create a lot of rework of the shifter and driveshafts etc,

Yeah its such a distinctive sound the Z20, really like it!

I wouldn't bother with the m32 mate, that is one choccybox! The jc5 is more reliable lol.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
thats one hell of a tidy conversion, it looks factory! to tell you the truth it looks better than most of the installs in corsas

Clio 182
Up to around 1300 miles in it now, need to get the mapping lined up already!

Sorry no decent videos yet, going on a road trip next month which should provide some good opportunity,

Some pics from a couple weeks ago,

Its been faultless except it now has a very slight oil leak that leaves a spot when parked which is bugging me. Initially thought and hoped it was the upper sump casting gasket so changed that, which is a subframe off job for access, but it persists so it looks like its the crank seal flywheel side so got to pull the engine and box in the next few weeks unfortunately!

20160807_162521.jpg

20160807_165214_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20160807_165241_RichtoneHDR.jpg

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I was expecting some real 'back yard' mechanics, but that looks impeccably executed - top drawer

Was this because you read it was a Vauxhall engine conversion, because I did? I thought "oh jesus, its gonna be classic back yard bodged engine swap".

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
How's this going lately? A lad at work who is into his vauxhalls was talking about it today. Wondered if it's still going?

Clio 182
How's this going lately? A lad at work who is into his vauxhalls was talking about it today. Wondered if it's still going?

Hadn't realised how long it has been since I updated this, thanks for the interest!

Its been great and still going well, have kept working on it and have changed a few things.

Just got it back on the road after being in the yard for some changes, Ill post some photo updates later this week!

Clio 172, Abarth 500
I still can't get over how clean this install is. As far as engine conversions go its one of the best I've seen.

Do you have some videos of it?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I opened this thinking, why on earth would someone do that? In reality, it's a bit of a mad and pointless conversion, give you can use Renault bits. That being said, there is nothing wrong with being a bit mad and pointless sometimes, and you've done a great job with the install. The dials look factory and the engine looks really good in their. Really nice job, bet it raises a few eyebrows when you open the bonnet!