ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 starting 1st time problem, starts second time perfect ?

Clio 182 ff
so been having this issue now for a few weeks and it seems to be getting worse, my car used to start instantly and strong but sometimes when the engine was hot it would take a little bit longer and start up but almost a weak start, then i would be fine (idle ect) . over the last weeks though when first trying to start it takes a few cranks then again it fires weak, but idles and drives fine. this morning it just turned over non stop, but when i tried the second time it started perfect as if i had no issues. I've noticed the fuel pump doesn't make a noise on the first try when i turn the key half way but if i turn the key off then back to half way it primes and starts. few other notes i've replaced the crank position sensor 6 months ago, took it off again it was clean. thanks

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mine done this when an injector was on its way out, needed two turns of the key to make the pump prime on cold start, or would crank forever without starting.

Clio 182 ff
Mine done this when an injector was on its way out, needed two turns of the key to make the pump prime on cold start, or would crank forever without starting.
interesting, recently it hasn't felt as smooth as it used to. does the fuel pump not prime on the first turn ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The pump does not prime when ignition is first turned on, only on the 2nd turn on stock ecu. I think the injectors can dribble dropping the rail pressure, mine done the lumpy start too. Its just started doing it again, so have ordered 4x new injectors.

Clio 182 ff
The pump does not prime when ignition is first turned on, only on the 2nd turn on stock ecu. I think the injectors can dribble dropping the rail pressure, mine done the lumpy start too. Its just started doing it again, so have ordered 4x new injectors.
Thanks mate I'm going to get some ordered and I'll update when they are fitted

clio 172 ph2
did this fix the issue?
im have problem with mine (172 ph2).
first turn of the key: it turns over but will not start or the engine tries but fails to start.
then second key turn: it starts up like it should and idles normal.
also only happens when cold, when hot it starts up fine

Clio 182 ff
did this fix the issue?
im have problem with mine (172 ph2).
first turn of the key: it turns over but will not start or the engine tries but fails to start.
then second key turn: it starts up like it should and idles normal.
also only happens when cold, when hot it starts up fine
Mine turned out to be the fuel pump return valve (so my mechanic says) but seeing as it only effects me once per day I haven't changed the pump yet. So when I first start the car in the morning I turn the key to the point before it trys to crank, then without starting it let all the lights go out turn off then when I do it a second time the fuel pump primes and it starts as normal. Mine in not heat dependent say I park up for two hours it starts first time. It's only when I leave it over say 24hours

clio 172 ph2
Mine turned out to be the fuel pump return valve (so my mechanic says) but seeing as it only effects me once per day I haven't changed the pump yet. So when I first start the car in the morning I turn the key to the point before it trys to crank, then without starting it let all the lights go out turn off then when I do it a second time the fuel pump primes and it starts as normal. Mine in not heat dependent say I park up for two hours it starts first time. It's only when I leave it over say 24hours
aah, i guess im having the same problem, when stood still for 2-3 hours it starts up fine but for a day or longer the problem occures.
lets just hope it doesnt get worse.

I'd be interested to see whether it was the injectors or pump. Mines doing the same thing as well!
I guess you could pull the injectors out while still connected and crank the engine to see if any are faulty?

lancecup

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 cup
Interesting. My 172 has done this for the past year, it only happen once a day when I first start the car and hasnt got any worse so I haven't tried fix it

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mine still does it occasionally with new injectors. Ill go back to my first thoughts, fpr is dropping pressure when stood.