ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Engine n gearbox overhaul

Clio 172
Morning (?) everyone !

I have looked over a lot of old threads trying to get answers for this,
and i cannot find anything solid.

I have taken my engine out on my Ph1 and am busy doing the cambelts and everything over,
Now i have removed the crank pulley and the rubbers are cracking,
this leaves me with two options go to renault and get a new one, or buy a lightened one.

I have some questions that i hope someone can help with:
What is the difference ?
Are there any negatives ?
Do all of the pulleys / depahasers need to be lightweight as well?
I see the lightened ones dont have the rubber bits, does that matter ?
And lastly, could someone link me to a good brand/store for a lightened flywheel

I will add some pics of all the work i have done so far a bit later on

Clio 172
Vanity shot and a pic of the engine out
IMG-20171102-WA0037.jpg

20171028_143414.jpg

Clio 172
(the rims are disgusting i know, next on my list to change)
Some of the bits n bobs that were buggered
Clutch, Gearbox mount, CRANK PULLEY Which i need advice on
IMG-20171102-WA0050.jpg
IMG-20171115-WA0046.jpg
IMG-20171115-WA0047.jpg
IMG-20171102-WA0043.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I would advise against a lightened crank pulley tbh.

They are haramonically balanced/dampened with the rubber damper, removing this you are then opening it up to vibrations from the crank possibly destroying the engine.

Clio 172
I would advise against a lightened crank pulley tbh.

They are haramonically balanced/dampened with the rubber damper, removing this you are then opening it up to vibrations from the crank possibly destroying the engine.

Good advise, Could you perhaps link me to a store/ebay whatever in the UK that i can get an original part from perhaps ?

I live in South Africa, so i import 90% of the items from the Uk, works out much much cheaper

as an example i was quoted 380 pound for a crank pulley in SA

clio sport
How many engine failures have been because of crank pulley failure, if it’s vulcanised rubber even with cracks it sticks like s**t to a blanket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172
How many engine failures have been because of crank pulley failure, if it’s vulcanised rubber even with cracks it sticks like s**t to a blanket!

Luckily my engine didnt fail :)
I took the engine out to do cambelt and clutch,
but found a bunch of other things that i need to get done while its out

172 ph2
saw ur post mate
i'm also looking for the crank pulley . in my condition i would pay 380 pounds easily. i suggest you to do that actually
I searched all over the internet , I'm willing to fly abroad for this part , it's out of stock in the UK& France& Poland . i don't know about germany.
You can easily buy a chinese one , But you can't find the geniue part

172 ph2
5 pounds paypal doniation if anyone find a different oem part # that will fit the 1*2 and it's on stock :) :)

172 ph2
I found some australian website in a decent price.
My order status changed to shipped w/o tracking # and they didn't answer to my email . but at least they didn't cancel it like the other merchants
Google "cliosport harmonic balancer"
Their name is "alpine affaire "

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower

Mine separated and threw the cambelt ! They do fail