ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Clubsport

RS 172
Hey all,
Thought it's about time i shared my project, it started 2 years ago. I was randomly searching Autotrader and i found a 50k 172. Had a quick look and it seemed clean and in "ok" condition. I only really had the intention to use at the weekends and trips to the Nurburgring etc. I wanted a decent car i could use on the road and track so some comforts were really imports. This started the "172 Clubsport project"

Totally standard car on purchase day.
IMG_0289.PNG

IMG_0284.PNG

First up was a full service and a cambelt service down at @Mike@Rentech
Next up was general cleaning and a few modifications (only 4 weeks before our annual trip to the Nurburgring)
Eibach springs with new Cup shocks all round
IMG_0586.JPG

K&N
IMG_0622.JPG

New Plates and Lights
IMG_0346.JPG

Good Clean!!
IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Also a new exhaust was fitted.
First ring trip with the Clio 2015...
IMG_4635.JPG

More pictures and continuation to follow.

RS 172
Once back from the Ring i started the next round of modification, I never had any intention to rush and get things done, it was always small bits over a long period of time. I've done 10 trips to the Nurburgring so i knew what i needed for the car.

First of was some styling... :)
Broken genuine splitter, 3 parts!
IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

Also managed to machine the headlights and update some of the yellow bulbs and minor detail

Steering Wheel, New Alloys and some Sticky tyres on..
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_6629.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG

Backend was freshened up...

IMG_6736.JPG

10th anniversary sticker made for the 2016 trip
IMG_6727.JPG

Trip 2016
racetracker_1549620_22747.jpg

I've probably forgot few things that I've done in that time, but a lot of work has happened since then...

More to follow:

Attachments

• IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    546.5 KB · Views: 230
  RS 172
The following have also been done:

Brembo HC discs and Yellow stuff all round
Front Airducts to replace Fogs
Braided Brake hoses
Powerflex Dog Bone and Exhaust hangers
Powerflex front ARB bushes

IMG_6217.JPG

IMG_6216.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG

That brings me to today...

I've got the following to install in time for my next trip to the ring!

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

I'm sure i've missed a few things, but going forward will be the latest update with more detail...

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Looking good so far. My intentions were "club sport" but I forgot to stop...now I don't have carpets or a radio 😅

Looks like a fairly clean 172, with some nice mods now.

What cage is it?
Clubsports are the best bang for buck seat out there, proven by how fast they sell out. Had a pair in my 172 cup and they were awesome for the price.

When you next at the ring? Off there myself in 2 weeks for my second trip out, bloody awesome place.

RS 172
Looks like a fairly clean 172, with some nice mods now.

What cage is it?
Clubsports are the best bang for buck seat out there, proven by how fast they sell out. Had a pair in my 172 cup and they were awesome for the price.

When you next at the ring? Off there myself in 2 weeks for my second trip out, bloody awesome place.

Ebay Cage, purchased from a fellow Forum member.

Will be out at the in 2 weeks.

Looking great.

The clubsports are a great seat, especially for the money they cost.

What's planned next for the mods?

Next, finish fitting cage and seats. After that: Rear ARB. Not sure after that, will see what i need.

Liking the progress so far. I've got similar intentions for my Cup. What cage is that?

Ebay Cage

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Great purchase on the seats! I've been waiting for mine since March! :(
Looking forward to more updates.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Good to see you finally got round to creating a project thread Graham!

The seats and cage went to a good home, and will look superb in your's!

RS 172
Small update, manged to get the cage in and drill the holes. Now need pull it forward to make space to put some of the side trims back in.
Drivers seat also in position, but that will also come out again. Lots of fun this! :)

Parked the car across the garage to give me enough space to work.
IMG_0998.JPG

Holes drilled and bolts dropped in to test fit.
IMG_1005.JPG

Cage in!
IMG_1007.JPG

Test fitting the seats
IMG_1008.JPG

Underside spreader plates are currently being treated with curust before being fitted.

Next up will be to fit the cage permanently in place and get the seats in.

RS 172
So for now the interior is finished. I do want to move the passenger seat slightly, but i can either do this in Germany or when i get back.

Cage bolted down with spreader plates.

IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1041.JPG

I had to remove the air ducks to the rear to get the lowered sub frames in, but this isn't an issue. All seat belts were removed and the rear trims refitted.

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

Carpet trimmed to fit.

IMG_1046.JPG

The trims are really hard to fit with a cage in, but i got them all in and it's look smart. Having own a few fully stripped cars, i really didn't want this to be like that.

IMG_1044.JPG

Seats went in:

IMG_1052.JPG

Next up was carpeting the rear, i was going to buy the rear mat but it was £60, so decided on some black carpet.

IMG_1053.JPG

The carpet is cut round the boot and tucked under the plastic trims. The end has been tapped down with carpet tape and seems to be ok.

IMG_1054.JPG

Strut brace and cargo net added:

IMG_1062.JPG

RS 172
Just a small update - Car made it to the ring and back with no major problems, however there were a few issues that could be fixed at the hotel. I got 9 laps in this year, before i decided that was enough this year with a rear wheel bearing getting noisy.

Hard wired the sat nav (phone)
IMG_1085.JPG

Gave the car a good clean
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG

Loaded the car, i'd defo advise this cargo net. Perfect for not rear seats.

IMG_1113.JPG

Couple of Ring Pictures:

IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1332.JPG

Did see a fair few Clio owners while out there! This was another great weekend at the ring, but unfortunately there was another loss of life. A strong reminder of how dangerous the Nurburgring is.

Next up will be work on the back end, new shocks, sold top mounts, ARB and Disc's/Pads.

RS 172
Another little updated. Car passed the MOT, I've managed 2200 miles in the year! 😊 I'll defiantly try and do more this year, i think moving house affected this!

Only had one advisory, which i knew was going to pop up and that was a noisy wheel bearing. The guy before me had fitted Mintex discs, which are s**t. They've done about 6k and the bearing was fucked. I've purchased OEM discs, along with Cup shocks, powerflex upper mounts and new OEM pads. Potentially i'll had Yellow stuff pads in the future, but for now this will do.

Rear end is pretty clean.

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

Painted the rear calipers to match the front.

IMG_2251.JPG
IMG_2253.JPG

One of the rear shocks looked pretty fucked and was leaking. Still seems ok though.

IMG_2264.JPG

While this is all out i'll treat all the metal with kurust and generally tidy up.

Hopefully have it back on the road next week. :smile:

RS 172
Manged to get the rear end sorted and car back on the road. So much nicer with new wheel bearing, new shocks and solid top mount.

Treated all the metal and gave a good clean. Didn't manage to take many pictures as i was trying to get it all back together.

Did have time to try the wife's 19's...
IMG_2337.JPG

Cleaned up...

IMG_2276.JPG

Cleaned and used :)

IMG_2397.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG

Just on the hunt for a whiteline ARB for the rear now....

RS 172
No updates apart from a Rolling Road day to give me some idea of what the car is doing with current mods.

171.7HP
40AB2BC6-BF04-47A8-B3A4-80F5B3096DE9.jpeg

Still not sure what route I’ll take for modifications, but i like to get to around 180/185. Maybe, matched inlets, biggie throttle body and induction? Then remap... I’ll have a good think about this.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
No updates apart from a Rolling Road day to give me some idea of what the car is doing with current mods.

171.7HP
View attachment 1341538

Still not sure what route I’ll take for modifications, but i like to get to around 180/185. Maybe, matched inlets, biggie throttle body and induction? Then remap... I’ll have a good think about this.
The look on Charlie's face said it all this morning mate - nice one.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Great project this.

I also went down the “clubsport” route with mine.

Power wise, tbh those are good results. I wouldn’t mess about too much as I’m not sure the benefit is worth the cost unless you go into the charging route.