ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.8 16V Winter Project

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Hey Guys. I don't know if there's anyone out there still in talks about the 1.8 16v's
I've recently bought one that's quite rotten as a project to do up.
20181020_140804.jpg

20181020_150013.jpg

Without even looking around the car ive jacked it up and I've dropped out the res/main tanks along with the axle, then spent a few days grinding and wire brushing under the car and getting rid off loose Rust and then rust converted the lot.

20181023_175534.jpg

Also cut out the rotten Chassis rail. And welded in a fresh piece..
All sealed nice and messy.

Axle blasted and brushed with some nice black paint. Unknown of brand atm.

20181024_130707.jpg

20181024_145419.jpg

Stone guarded the underneath after the rust converter did it's job
20181024_154127.jpg

Super happy with how that came out.

Then had various bits sand blasted and decided to paint them in heat resistant silver.

20181025_172919.jpg

Finished product incoming:
20181026_125942.jpg

That's the back end sorted out, other than calipers refurb and new handbrake lines rear bearings ECT..

Sorry if this is an awkward looking post this is a first for me . If this bring any interest I'll keep updating ?. These pics are over a duration of about a week

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Hi Dave yes I do.

Bought the car approx 2 weeks ago.

Paint is bit scruffy and has Williams Interior.
Screenshot_20181016-195823_eBay.jpg

Interior:.

Screenshot_20181016-195842_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20181016-195839_eBay.jpg

To be fair the paint job and interior are both in decent condition.

But I'm a car painter so I'll be aiming for better ? maybe a respray in future..

The guy I bought it off done a engine rebuilt I'm guessing about 6-7 years ago. Drove it for a few months then left it sitting in till now..
IMG-20181015-WA0009.jpg

Engine was hunting on cold. But that's all sorted, story for another day ?

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Thanks for the Reply Dave. I'm more of a paint guy and not that great engine wise. So the next update should be when it's getting a respray perhaps ?

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Ive been putting it off for about 4 years, probably should be tackled it sooner.
This winter I will attack it!

I'm positive you can do it !

I'm not sure what wheels you have on your Clio, but might as well ask. Do you know anyone or anywhere that sell the Turbine centre plates. I've looked what seems like every where on the internet ?

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
I'm positive you can do it !

I'm not sure what wheels you have on your Clio, but might as well ask. Do you know anyone or anywhere that sell the Turbine centre plates. I've looked what seems like every where on the internet ?

I run turbines on the road and pro race 1.2 on track.

I've actually got a spare set of turbines with caps and key. I may be tempted to part with them.

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
I run turbines on the road and pro race 1.2 on track.

I've actually got a spare set of turbines with caps and key. I may be tempted to part with them.

I don't suppose you'd sell the centre plates seperate would you? As my wheels are fine just didn't get the plates when I bought the car. If so how much for the plates ?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Glad to see the work going into this chap, should be lovely when done.

Need to sort my old grey one out at some point but the fear of the rust has stopped me thus far

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
I've today got it on the Ramp to have a real good inspection and waxoil the back end.
20181101_185959.jpg

I'm positive the back end is complete. But as I looked further down noticed the front jacking points are real bad. No pics of that but that Definetly on the list.

Also rebuilt the brake calipers ( back)
20181030_082515.jpg

Next up is the incredibly leaky sunroof, ?

Is yours off road because off the rust? Have you got any pics?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Yeah it's got front jacking point issues too and needs sills ideally. It was boosted but I got into trackdays and bought another one for that so grey one was decommissioned and has sat ever since

Looks like this at mo

IMG-20181028-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0018.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Oh there's a chap over in Europe who sells front and rear jacking points as can't get them from Renault anymore, think he's active on the clio 16v Facebook group

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I had it resprayed about 8 years ago I think it was, looked great in its heyday and went well. It'll live again when I stop spunking cash on the red one, the odyssey and the RB, flol!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
no chance I'm afraid, its my forever car that grey heap of crap, all the rest would go first.....although it would be difficult to let the red one go as well tbh........or the odyssey......or the RB......f**k think I have issues, can anyone recommend a counsellor?