ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clicking sound from front wheel area

Clio Trophy
This only seems to happen after the car has been driven for a bit. Quite a loud sound really and not something I've encountered before. Seems more obvious in reverse but it does it going forwards too.

While driving at about 20mph-

Reversing on the drive-

Clio Trophy
A couple of folk on pistonheads reckon the same. Can't catch a break with cars at the minute.

Looking through some posts from a couple of months ago you got a J&R shaft for £50 with no issues?

Could you confirm the part number as I know the Cup/Trophy is different from the standard 182.

Last edited:
  Clio Trophy
Already have. Both sides made this identical sound when rotating the wheel backwards and forwards-

Had a wheel bearing replaced recently so it was my first thought to check in case something was untoward. Thought this sound was perhaps the issue until the I checked the driver's side and it made the same sound and felt the same to rotate.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
A couple of folk on pistonheads reckon the same. Can't catch a break with cars at the minute.

Looking through some posts from a couple of months ago you got a J&R shaft for £50 with no issues?

Could you confirm the part number as I know the Cup/Trophy is different from the standard 182.

Yeah for the past 12 months or more. Although recent reports on here arnt brilliant.

Give them my reg and see if it brings up the details

R28 DAC

Clio Trophy
Yeah for the past 12 months or more. Although recent reports on here arnt brilliant.

Give them my reg and see if it brings up the details

R28 DAC
Cheers. Is yours a cup?

Seems ktec sells genuine ones for £150 so I may go that route anyway if it does turn out to be the driveshaft.

PH2 172
This only seems to happen after the car has been driven for a bit. Quite a loud sound really and not something I've encountered before. Seems more obvious in reverse but it does it going forwards too.

While driving at about 20mph-

Reversing on the drive-

I think I am correct in thinking you have recently replaced the front discs with Brembo`s.
Their tapered grub screws sit proud of the disc, and the wheel does not seat correctly.

Clio Trophy
In post #5 you said the sound was identical from both sides ?
That was purely rotating the wheel by hand though, i.e. in neutral...

I meant that particular sound was identical both sides, but it doesn't sound like the issue I'm having here to my ears, which, as far as me and the Mrs. can tell, is coming from the left side only.

Went out there and had a look with a torch and I don't see any obvious signs of the boots having split, obviously limited as to how much can be seen though.

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
still reckon it's in the box, don't be surprised if when you're reversing it locks up and jumps you forward a bit and then frees off.

Clio Trophy
Not exactly sure what you mean there but certainly haven't noticed any issues with the gearbox at any time.

Would you not at least expect something to change with the clutch pedal down? If I'm driving a long at 20 with the sound occurring there is no change whatsoever when depressing the clutch pedal. Exact same speed and volume.

Clio Trophy
Arranged lifts to work now and got it booked in the garage, of course this would happen when my other car (7 series) shat its alternator. ?

Noticed driving back tonight a couple of points-

Noise is definitely at its worst around 20mph and not just because of the reduced wind/road noise.

Only seems to occur when off the throttle, gently being on the accelerator causes it to all but disappear.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Remove the caliper, see if it does it. I'd run through all your options before jumping to the worst conclusion

Clio Trophy
Remove the caliper, see if it does it. I'd run through all your options before jumping to the worst conclusion
Cheers but I'll let the garage deal with it, just in from work and I get up at 4.30am so fannying around on the drive is the last thing on my mind. :D

Clio Trophy
Just off the blower with the garage and it's the diff that's shat it.

Could do with some advice here as I've never had something like this happen. :(

Get the diff removed and refurbished? By who? Is this something you can do @NorthloopCup or do you just do gearboxes?

Clio Trophy
Gearbox need checked as opposed to just worrying about the diff alone then? Not well versed in the layout of these as I can't find much in the way of technical info online like I can with BMW's using realoem.com

If this is an option, is there a ballpark price? Obviously that will depend on condition but a best case and a worst case (i.e. full diff and gearbox rebuild with typical parts replaced) scenario would give me an idea what I'm dealing with as I'm blind here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Gearbox need checked as opposed to just worrying about the diff alone then? Not well versed in the layout of these as I can't find much in the way of technical info online like I can with BMW's using realoem.com

If this is an option, is there a ballpark price? Obviously that will depend on condition but a best case and a worst case (i.e. full diff and gearbox rebuild with typical parts replaced) scenario would give me an idea what I'm dealing with as I'm blind here.
You’re better off dropping me a pm mate tbh.

PH2 172
They f**king ain’t mate. Who told you that?!

I thought it was you, but to be fair, you only specified the bearings.

" I'd say it's more likely to be your mainshaft bearings that are failing though tbh, as I'm still yet to see a failed diff bearing!"

And you were correct about the mainshaft bearings.

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I thought it was you, but to be fair, you only specified the bearings.

" I'd say it's more likely to be your mainshaft bearings that are failing though tbh, as I'm still yet to see a failed diff bearing!"

And you were correct about the mainshaft bearings.
Bearings yes, diffs no mate. Seen a lot of them failing inside.