ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAD Questions Thread?

Really interesting question. If you project a 3D spline onto a 2D plane (like the above pictures) then try and go back to 3D, there are an infinite number of solutions.

I’m sure there’s probably a clever plugin that can do this but I’d assume you need two 2D images of the same thing from two different view points.

I’m sure grabcad would have some generic 3D of a hand though, if that’s what you’re after.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It’s just standard quad poly modelling used in the visual effect industry rendered out to a image then converted to cad.

Turbosquid should have lots of models with that construction.

Edit: In fact get the model, isolate the splines and flatten it in your desired view in autocad, then remove hidden lines.

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
It’s just standard quad poly modelling used in the visual effect industry rendered out to a image then converted to cad.

Turbosquid should have lots of models with that construction.

Edit: In fact get the model, isolate the splines and flatten it in your desired view in autocad, then remove hidden lines.
is this something you could do?

my 2006 version of cad is showing its age a bit now

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ok got bored and converted a random vector image off google, I dont have autocad on this pc but it should work as a dwg with some fettling.

Attachments

• Sphere test.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 380

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ok got bored and converted a random vector image off google, I dont have autocad on this pc but it should work as a dwg with some fettling.
LOL

yeah they open fine, but double lines and messy.

who ever makes these has em off to a fine art, all lines are just single smooth lines. very clean and no mess

snowman-3d-illusion-light-20-3-cm-laser-engrave.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
The double lines are probably the fsr suede of the part that you can see through it, as you would if it was a 3d wire frame in your hand. That snowman only shows the nearside of the frame.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The double lines are probably the fsr suede of the part that you can see through it, as you would if it was a 3d wire frame in your hand. That snowman only shows the nearside of the frame.
I'll do a screen shot tomorrow am in bed now, try explain it a bit better

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Does anyone on here use solidworks or CAD remotely and if so do you use team viewer or another way? any help or recommendations or advice please??

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

Nah its because I used illustrator to convert it and it treats the edge of the white and black as a line.
So each vector line is treated as two lines in cad, requires a bit of work to prep it.
Unfortunately it’s the only software that I had that still exports to 2006.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Nah its because I used illustrator to convert it and it treats the edge of the white and black as a line.
So each vector line is treated as two lines in cad, requires a bit of work to prep it.
Unfortunately it’s the only software that I had that still exports to 2006.

this is how it looks in cad

XTSsnm.jpg

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Does anyone on here use solidworks or CAD remotely and if so do you use team viewer or another way? any help or recommendations or advice please??

I use remote access on my work PC through my laptop and just run all my programs that way when I'm at home.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
What re

Thanks
What remote access program do you use? Teamviewer?
Do you run solidworks?

No just Microsoft desktop, means I run my whole work PC remotely so I can use and do everything I could if I was sat at my desk.
Yes I use Solidworks but through the above.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
No just Microsoft desktop, means I run my whole work PC remotely so I can use and do everything I could if I was sat at my desk.
Yes I use Solidworks but through the above.

Thanks for the info ?
Does it work the same or is it leggy and slow ref opening files from server etc?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Before I go to the hassle of doing it myself is there a CAD model of the F4R?
Presumably Renault must have modelled it at some point.

I need to do some floor plan drawings and elevations for a garage build. What (free) cad software would people recommend which is suitable for such a task? Only needs to be 2D

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I need to do some floor plan drawings and elevations for a garage build. What (free) cad software would people recommend which is suitable for such a task? Only needs to be 2D
ive not used it, but have you googled, google sketchup?

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Thread bump here, I use Solidworks often for work so if anyone has queries I may be able to help.

I have my own query for anyone else who uses it? Specifically, is anyone familiar with helix spirals? I need to lay out a spring like pattern that revolves 360 deg with the first wire offset from perpendicular at 30deg.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Thread bump here, I use Solidworks often for work so if anyone has queries I may be able to help.

I have my own query for anyone else who uses it? Specifically, is anyone familiar with helix spirals? I need to lay out a spring like pattern that revolves 360 deg with the first wire offset from perpendicular at 30deg.

Use them occasionally for knurling etc. I end up having to google them every time though. Seems to end up being luck if I get one created lol

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

Any chance you’ve got a sketch or photo of what you want I’m having a hard time trying to imagine it.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Hopefully the attached screenshot will explain it better

Attachments

• wire photo.png
    wire photo.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 37

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Excuse my crap drawing on my phone do you mean this?

If so sweep it along a path?

Attachments

• wire photo.png
    wire photo.png
    372.9 KB · Views: 26

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I’ve only experience of NX, but it’s very similar to SW.

You need to create a curve for the helix to follow. So essentially a straight line, then your connect perpendicular line at 30 degrees.
Helix command and there should be something along the lines of ‘follow guide’