ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broadband.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Vodafone are offering free gifts including a Sonos Play:1 or a GoPro Hero, but I guess you bought before the offer was launched, imprezaworks?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I’ve been with Plusnet for a couple years and it was temperamental my speeds. Quit a lot of the times I had to reset the router as I was getting really low speeds after I resetted it it went back up to normal avg 60mbps. I payed £22.49 for up to 76mbps. In this new house I’m thinking about going over to BT line and fibre. The engineer is coming out on Monday hoping to fit brand new sockets in the house as it’s s new build.
Was looking at Superfast Fibre 2 at special for £39.99 speeds up to 76mbps.
Do I stick with plus net with Fibre or go with BT for both as my Dad pays for the land line??
I know Plusnet is pretty much BT, not sure if the router is better or something

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
So far so good with ours.
Are you with BT like? When I do a random speed test I can sometimes get quit a few 20’s and 30’s and the odd less than 5mbps. As soon as I reset router it’s back up to around 60 to 70mbps. My old flat mate had BT then moved over to Plusnet but I can’t remember much about issues with BT

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
With Vodafone mate. Was with bt but they wanted 30 a month. Vodafone are 21.

Speed wise 32 ish.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Are you with BT like? When I do a random speed test I can sometimes get quit a few 20’s and 30’s and the odd less than 5mbps. As soon as I reset router it’s back up to around 60 to 70mbps. My old flat mate had BT then moved over to Plusnet but I can’t remember much about issues with BT

We have a similar sounding issue and we have BT fibre.
I think BT and plus net are virtually the same now apart from the branding.

BT is the top of my list of s**t companies.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Just the the second engineer out yesterday and he also said he can’t do anything. It’s already been two weeks without telephone line or anything. The previous guy didn’t pass on that they needs a servayer or something to get an idea how to get the new wiring on a pole or go underneath the ground. So got to wait now yet again. Anyone know an idea how long it takes for someone like that to come out? I think by the time till it’s all sorted it’ll be a months, god hope it doesn’t

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just signed up to NOW fiber £20 a month, £9.99 activation fee. £80 cashback.

Appears a bargain?

Oh 12 month contract too.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Correct service?

28F56027-121B-4C6C-83F9-22F0DF4F7DFD.png

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Was more too good to be true offer. Internet speed being good and not compromised etc.

I took a chance with Vodafone and it’s been fine. Have been with ee and sky that were awful.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm with sky none fiber now and it's not great, but cost me something mental like £8 for the entire year!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
£71 a month for internet????

Yeh this is for FTTP/FTTH 300/150 with seethelight and that also includes a VoIP line, but that’s something like £2 a month, stupid price I know but im a sucker for getting the best speed I can, cheapest they do is something like £31 a month for 60/12. There are no other providers other than a couple of other resellers on the same network but seethelight run it, if you wanted a cheap cheap product BT & Virgin aren’t allowed on site for x amount of years as it’s a new build, no copper lines on site. I’m really happy with it, no drops after 6 months so far and speed/latency is very consistent at peak times and as the site is only small and basically full now, hopefully that will continue.

Reactions: DrR

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh this is for FTTP/FTTH 300/150 with seethelight and that also includes a VoIP line, but that’s something like £2 a month, stupid price I know but im a sucker for getting the best speed I can, cheapest they do is something like £31 a month for 60/12. There are no other providers other than a couple of other resellers on the same network but seethelight run it, if you wanted a cheap cheap product BT & Virgin aren’t allowed on site for x amount of years as it’s a new build, no copper lines on site. I’m really happy with it, no drops after 6 months so far and speed/latency is very consistent at peak times and as the site is only small and basically full now, hopefully that will continue.

I made the mistake of going with BT for our FTTH connection. Granted it’s 320MB/s down, but I’m quickly finding that the Hub router they provide is woeful!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm supposed to get 200 but don't even see over 100. Bit annoying although it's always been fast enough. Just seems pointless paying for anything over 100.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I made the mistake of going with BT for our FTTH connection. Granted it’s 320MB/s down, but I’m quickly finding that the Hub router they provide is woeful!

Assuming you mean Wifi and not just the router in general I never expect anything decent from Wifi as there are too many factors to effect the throughput, but then again the sorts of devices that only use Wifi usually don't need amazingly low latency or really high bandwidth, unless you need multiple 4k streams I guess. My Wifi speeds are all over the place from room to room which has never caused us an issue on any of our Wifi devices, the Living room TV PC and the PC's upstairs are all cabled in and always get low latency and around 314Mbps down and 160Mbps up so im happy!

Not saying this is you Marc but in general the amount of people that don’t think they are getting the speed they should as they only test on Wifi must be a high percentage. If you want guaranteed speeds around your house, use a Ethernet cable or a good set of Powerline Adaptors, the below are decent for FTTH connections, but they so seem to cap at around the 400Mbps mark and I have mine directly above one another, which given that the rated speed is 'up to' 2000Mbps it’s a piss take but somehow they all get away with these stupid 'up to' speeds on them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XKKRDVR/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I will laugh to myself in an extremely nerdy way when 1Gbps connections become more popular and everyone is complaining that they only get 100Mbps because all of their internal cables/switches/devices aren't rated for the speed :p

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I will laugh to myself in an extremely nerdy way when 1Gbps connections become more popular and everyone is complaining that they only get 100Mbps because all of their internal cables/switches/devices aren't rated for the speed :p

This already happens where i work, customer orders 1Gb/10Gb Lease line, wonders why they cant get over 10Mb download when they're running 10 PC's and 10 Phones on a 24 Port 100Mb switch. Then the company i work for gets blames as 'it must be V******* as their customer service is rubbish' etc etc

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
This already happens where i work, customer orders 1Gb/10Gb Lease line, wonders why they cant get over 10Mb download when they're running 10 PC's and 10 Phones on a 24 Port 100Mb switch. Then the company i work for gets blames as 'it must be V******* as their customer service is rubbish' etc etc

Haha doesn't suprise me!

Who do you work for out of interest?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just swapped from BT to Sky Q fibre, apparently the router is decent so will report back. (£100 MasterCard to)

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Assuming you mean Wifi and not just the router in general I never expect anything decent from Wifi as there are too many factors to effect the throughput, but then again the sorts of devices that only use Wifi usually don't need amazingly low latency or really high bandwidth, unless you need multiple 4k streams I guess. My Wifi speeds are all over the place from room to room which has never caused us an issue on any of our Wifi devices, the Living room TV PC and the PC's upstairs are all cabled in and always get low latency and around 314Mbps down and 160Mbps up so im happy!

Not saying this is you Marc but in general the amount of people that don’t think they are getting the speed they should as they only test on Wifi must be a high percentage. If you want guaranteed speeds around your house, use a Ethernet cable or a good set of Powerline Adaptors, the below are decent for FTTH connections, but they so seem to cap at around the 400Mbps mark and I have mine directly above one another, which given that the rated speed is 'up to' 2000Mbps it’s a piss take but somehow they all get away with these stupid 'up to' speeds on them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XKKRDVR/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Not me, I have a set of adapters - mainly because I’ve mounted my Sky Q box and Xbox directly behind my TV, meaning that the wireless speeds are horrendous!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not me, I have a set of adapters - mainly because I’ve mounted my Sky Q box and Xbox directly behind my TV, meaning that the wireless speeds are horrendous!

Try asking Sky for a Q booster?
I think there pretty much free if you complain enough.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Appreciated mate. Tbf all good so far :)

I don't work in that side of the business (more corporate/enterprise) but we have a 'help a friend' scheme that should get you a priority phone call to try resolve things quicker. Got a colleague that is a bit of a whizz with the router too as he's got it at home

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah fine. Was mooching last night and I’m going try lan cable when I game. All the pros use it.

:)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
So, currently with Virgin at 50mbs. Of late, the line had been dropping in and out, always rebooting router etc. But noticed today that the price has crept up to £37.50 a month, just for internet. We do not have, or need a phoneline. To me, that's taking the piss a bit.

We have 3 people in the house with smartphones and use a firestick to watch movies etc, so we aren't exactly 4k gamers etc.

Had a look at plusnet, they offer roughly 36mbs speed, totally unlimited for £23.99 a month on 18m contract. Anyone been with them and how was your experience?

Ciio 200
So, currently with Virgin at 50mbs. Of late, the line had been dropping in and out, always rebooting router etc. But noticed today that the price has crept up to £37.50 a month, just for internet. We do not have, or need a phoneline. To me, that's taking the piss a bit.

We have 3 people in the house with smartphones and use a firestick to watch movies etc, so we aren't exactly 4k gamers etc.

Had a look at plusnet, they offer roughly 36mbs speed, totally unlimited for £23.99 a month on 18m contract. Anyone been with them and how was your experience?

I've been with Plusnet for nearly 15 years and not had any major issues. Any issues with downtime are normally to do with BT phoneline rather than the ISP side of things. Currently paying £18.49 for unlimited fibre.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Vodafone Gigafast is offering average speeds up to 900Mbps (!!) from £23 per month. Only in certain geographic locations (obviously - you can’t network the entire country in a short space of time).

Sooo... did you go with Plusnet in the end? If so, how are you finding it?

Missus' current broadband contract (2Mb, woooo) is expiring soon, and as we now have a 4K TV I thought it would be a good time to upgrade to a speed which actually allows 4K streaming. (Roll on the new series of The Grand Tour!) She doesn't want to spend more than £20/month, though.

The current Plusnet offer seems to be £23.50 for (averaged...) 36Mb speed on an 18-month contract, and according to MSE, they've got some offer on that gives £75 back on a pre-paid credit card:
https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/
so that works out about £19.34 a month over the 18 months if you don't need to pay the £49.99 to install a phoneline.

They've got a '7.something out of 10' customer service rating on that MSE link, which is appealing when all the other options are about 4 or 5... lol, but it's hard to know how accurate the ratings are.

Another 'known provider' option on MSE and USwitch (https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/fibre_optic/) looks to be:

- Vodafone 'Superfast 2' (63Mb) at £19.84/month over 18 months when you take into account the £75 voucher for Amazon/Asos/Currys/M&S (with a 5.7/10 customer satisfaction rating), or

Then there are some I've never heard of, lol, like 'Onestream' and 'Direct Save' and 'Now Broadband', which are about £20/month over 12 months for 35Mb(-ish), but are they even any good??

TL;DR - I guess I'm just not sure if...

- Plusnet is any good? (quality + customer service)
- I need more than 35Mb to watch a single 4K TV while the missus idly surfs facecock?
- I should risk a cheap, shorter (12 month) deal with an unknown, that might have appalling reliability and/or customer service?
- the Plusnet offer requires a phoneline installation (given there is already a phone in the house with her current provider)?