ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broadband.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Since being in my house (2 years) we were told by bt there was no room at the exchange for us to have fibre, mmm. Since we have had normal (5mbs) internet.

Today I ring and boom we can have it, again mmm. What’s changed?!?.

So the speed will go from 5 to an estimated 32-45 ish, lots better. An increase of £4 a month to £29.99 with no set up costs etc.

Not being a tech person what do they do to go ‘super fast’, press 3,4,6,x on the computer and hey presto?.

Atleast now we will be in the 21st century.

Clio 172 (CUP)
There'll probably do some line patching and config at the exchange end and a suitable router at your end with a line test being done to confirm the line is up to it. £30 seems a bit high though for that package, e.g. I'm in Vodafone 76MB including line rental for £24 a month, 12M contract. HotdealsUK site is pretty good for hunting the latest BB deals

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I saw the deals at a bit less. Tbh i game and the speed is ok. In the old house with similar to what I’m going to get now it was better, but after being with different companies I’ve found bt to be spot on.

So the few quid difference I can live with.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
BT will never achieve the stated line speed they’ve given you. I’ve been told I can get 310mb/s with mine, but it’s never managed to get above 275mb/s

(First world problem)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Well EE and Sky were absolute garbage. I can't understand why though?. Rent the line off bt and crack on.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
It's probably fibre to the cabinet and then copper to your house. They all say you can't get decent speed down copper, but you can get about 100 meg down it.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Since being in my house (2 years) we were told by bt there was no room at the exchange for us to have fibre, mmm. Since we have had normal (5mbs) internet.

Today I ring and boom we can have it, again mmm. What’s changed?!?.

They've increased capacity at the exchange and/or cabinet, as fibre becomes more and more common they're putting in more kit and upgrading more cabinets.

The technology from the exchange to the cabinet is very different to the old ADSL stuff. From the speeds you're saying I'd think you have FTTC so the run from the cabinet to your property will be over copper wire. That bit is still reasonably similar ish to the old ADSL stuff but because the run is so much shorter you get better speeds. (Note, that is wrong in many, many ways, but without getting stupidly techie about it, it's close enough :D )

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
My Broadband is utter tripe. ADSL got me around 15mb. On fibre I’m actually pulling 10mb. Go figure.

I a fair distance from the exchange and live in the sticks but regardless my connection speeds are poor. 4G on the other hand is available in most rooms upstairs. I can pull roughly 25mb via 4G. I’m inclined to get a mobile router as my wireless connection is a bag of shite and flakey as f**k (needed for work).

321.jpg

?

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
I get 165 ish normally on virgin. Upload is shocking though around 6
On 4g I can get between 60 and 100 at home but the upload is 50!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Never looked too much. But getting over 100, would have never guessed.

I guess YouTube heroes must have solid internet

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
@eon172

Better half was in Vodafone sorting her upgrade out and they mentioned about their broadband at £21 a month.

Rang bt to say I wanted to cancel etc, there is a fee of 138 as my current contract is until March. He gave me a number for another department to ring after 3pm tomo and see what deal they can do.

Also bt upped their prices and gave customers the opportunity to leave without charge so will ask that too.

I’m only pissed because bt said there would be no extra charge for fibre when it comes available.

We shall see.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
As we have started the inevitable broadband willy waving....

7481190657.png

Pings abit high as im having to use powerline adapters in my office atm. This is FTTP with seethelight, never moves from this :) Just waiting for someone to post their results from work now to distroy us all :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Nice.

Well spoke to bt. 29.99 a month, get one free month out of the 18 months. No room for movement. Meh. Checked with them about the no fee contract clause because of the price increase. Yeah 30 days from now. Cool.

Went with Vodafone. 21 a month. See what they are like then.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Nice.

Well spoke to bt. 29.99 a month, get one free month out of the 18 months. No room for movement. Meh. Checked with them about the no fee contract clause because of the price increase. Yeah 30 days from now. Cool.

Went with Vodafone. 21 a month. See what they are like then.
Good to hear you sorted it out. I know Vodafone have a poor customer service rep, but I've yet to come across a provider with a good one. Once set up I've found their BB service was slightly faster but just as solid as BT's. I did swap out their free router for my own (older) Asus one too, which also improved things.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah no router costs, p+p costs, just £21.

For 25 he offered a faster bb but said there’s not much difference. Happy with my 9 pound saving lol

Clio 172 (CUP)
Yeah no router costs, p+p costs, just £21.

For 25 he offered a faster bb but said there’s not much difference. Happy with my 9 pound saving lol
Cool, bargain then. Remember to monitor it for the first 14 days for a stable performant service that you're happy with, you can cancel if you're not getting the minimum speed they calculated/measured when they took your order.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah garanteed 32 or something, far better than current. Aparantly if the speed isn’t met we get 15% discount. Which if the service is crap may aswell be 50% lol