ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best tyres for Clio 182 road use?

Clio182
I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is answered elsewhere! Just bought a 54 plate 182 - and I'm absolutely thrilled with it..... but I need new tyres so I wanted to get some advice from the forum. What's the best make of tyre for road use? I'm also trying to establish what the correct fitment should be: can anyone help with that?

Looking at mytyres, other options might be the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 or the ContiPremiumContact6 - the latter should be very good if it is better than the CPC2 on the missus' car, and the former is generally reviewed very well (although the latest version, version 5?, seems to have dropped the ball somewhat, going from the evo 2019 tyre test results).

NTG999

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I know I will get shouted at, but I ran Proxes T1-R on my 182 for road and track evenings and rated them

• Haha
Reactions: Gus

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I know I will get shouted at, but I ran Proxes T1-R on my 182 for road and track evenings and rated them
What pressures do you use in the Proxes? I've run them at book pressures and struggled - more tyre squeal than grip - but not yet tried reducing the pressures significantly. They're pretty cheap now, though...

NTG999

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
On my standard road 182FF (I have a cup 172 now) I ran 27 - 28 hot and liked them. All my track evenings were at Cadwell.
I understand Michelins are good but I would rather have 4x new Proxes rather than 4 mystery make tyres or fully go for it with 888s which I will do with my Cup

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
For a hill climb I was using 35-36 front, 32-33 rear - purely based on stuff I've read about using higher pressures to help compensate for the Toyos' more flexible sidewalls and, obviously, because the tyres never really get chance to warm up. But as this didn't seem to work too well I'll experiment with around 27-28 cold - at least until I settle for one of the road-going semi-slick options. Thanks

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
For road i'd stick with Mich PS3, 87W on front and 83W in rear is what I use, handles perfect, think this was orig. manufacturer set-up (on the older PS2's)

Clio182
For road i'd stick with Mich PS3, 87W on front and 83W in rear is what I use, handles perfect, think this was orig. manufacturer set-up (on the older PS2's)
I hadn’t heard of using different load ratings at the front and rear: was that an original fitment thing?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I hadn’t heard of using different load ratings at the front and rear: was that an original fitment thing?
No it wasn't. 182's originally came with Michelin PE2's and would have had the same load rating on front and rear.
I've been an advocate of Uniroyal Rainsports for the last few years. Good tyre in the dry, fantastic when its wet. Just the wear rate is pretty poor . I was only getting about 5k miles out of a set.
I've recently switched to Avon ZV7's and I've got to say I'm extremely impressed in both the wet and dry. Plus from what I've read on here the wear rate is supposed to be very good.
Check out camskill, £62.90 per tyre.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member

Although some will disagree, the first owner of my car told me that the car was supplied with that 87/83 set up with the PS2's, and he always kept that set-up, as do I albeit now on PS3's.
And I do remember reading in either a review or press release that the 182 was fitted with stiffer sidewalls on the front.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Although some will disagree, the first owner of my car told me that the car was supplied with that 87/83 set up with the PS2's, and he always kept that set-up, as do I albeit now on PS3's.
And I do remember reading in either a review or press release that the 182 was fitted with stiffer sidewalls on the front.
I am the first owner of my 182 , had it since February 2006 with 8 miles on the clock and it definitely came with the same tyres on the front and rear.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
I am the first owner of my 182 , had it since February 2006 with 8 miles on the clock and it definitely came with the same tyres on the front and rear.

Good info, my car is an early one, 53 plate -I believe one of the first registered, so perhaps the situation changed later, the mix makes sense to me anyway.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm running Rainsport 3s on my 172 and for road use they seem good