ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery light

Clio 182
Hi guys
yesterday my 182 died on me :(
was driving down the road and loads of lights started to appear on dash (serv,eps,abs,airbag,hand break and stop light)
also dah lights started to dim and speedo and radio started going off and on
i pulled over switched the car off tried to start it again and just got a really loud clicking noise
so I realised the battery had died so I called the AA they came out, he had a look, jump started it did a few tests with his meter and told me that the battery warning light on the dash wasn't illuminating. He then said there wasn't a 12v feed coming from the battery light to the alternator to excite the alternator.
he reved the car to 5000 revs an the alternator started to work.(self exciting)

he said that the possible faults could be just that the bulb has blown for the battery light or somewhere there is a break in the small wire going from the battery light to the alternator somewhere.
Dose this sound about right?
Dose anybody have the wiring diagrams for the battery light ect?

Thanks in advance
benn

SiMunn

ClioSport Club Member
  n/a
Exact same thing just happened to me tonight so I too am looking to find out the cause!

Clio ph2 1.6 16V Sp
Without taking anything apart yet. Turn ignition on, all dash warning lights light up and then go away, except battery light which doesn't come on at all. Remove 2-pin plug at back of alternator. Only one white wire and what appears to be an unused pin with a cut-off green wire. Measured 11.25V on white wire when battery is about 12.5V.
So how are the white wire and warning light connected back to the battery, and where are they routed? I can't find a downloadable wiring diagram.

Clio ph2 1.6 16V Sp
From memory, the dash warning bulb is part of the exciter circuit.
I have the dash completely disassembled and the 'bulb' is an LED. Would be very surprised if this is the problem.
Now to look elsewhere.
From memory, the dash warning bulb is part of the exciter circuit.
I have the instrument panel completely disassembled and the 'bulb' is an LED. Would be very surprised if this is the problem. Now to look elsewhere.

Attachments

• 20190601_133533.jpg
    20190601_133533.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 149
  Clio ph2 1.6 16V Sp
So, alternator removed (see detail in next post), faulty regulator replaced, alternator replaced, now charges but battery warning light still does not light up prior to starting engine.

Clio ph2 1.6 16V Sp
So having read other threads about alternator removal/refitting and tricks with hose clamps on the belt tensioner and stories about jacking the engine and removing the bumper and the slam panel and ...... - maybe necessary if you are replacing the belt, but even then I have my doubts.
I want to reassure you that if you simply remove the black portion of the grille, the alternator can be removed, pulley first, through the aperture. Use a screwdriver handle to support the belt in place of the alternator pulley. When refitting the alternator, it is a fight, but it is possible to lever the alternator against the tension of the tensioner. I did this by inserting the bottom right bolt, through the bracket on the alternator and screwing a few turns into its mount, with the alternator obviously out of alignment. Then leaning on the alternator (e.g. very large screwdriver) to tension the belt and to get the alternator more-or-less into position, enough to insert the top bolt and screw it also a few turns into its mount. Then the remaining bottom left bolt. The tighten them all up progressively. Replace wire and plug onto back of alternator and replace grille. Job done!! One hour to replace.