ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bash's Hillclimb car

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Righty I replaced the aux belt and pulleys here's a basic guide,
The pic below may look a little drastic but gives you better access to the pulleys by removing the offside plastic wheel arch liner and the single bumper retaining screw then the 2 front grill retaining clips , then simply pop the offside of the bumper out and remove 3 bolts holding in the headlight in place. then I removed the drivers side engine mount by putting a trolley jack under the sump with a piece of pallet wood on it to protect the sump and removing the 3 x 16mm bolts and 1 x 16mm nut holding the mount on,

photo 3.JPG

then remove the sound deadening mat from in front of the aux belt held in place with 2 plastic clips 1 up near the alternator pulley and the other near the crank pulley accessible from under the wheel arch (trim removal tool helps),
and the you will have this view,
photo 2 (2).JPG

my tensioner had seized up (I found this out by braking off the 3/8 square drive on the old tensioner when trying to slacken the belt)
so I just cut the old belt off instead
this left me just the e torx bolts to remove from the tensioner spring itself (10mm spanner will fit these)
A freind of mine told me that at Renault where he was a mechanic they used to drill the holes out in the metal plate behind the headlight to 13mm to speed things up as access with a socket was then possible,
the main body of the tensioner can be removed with a 8mm allen key socket by jacking the engine up slightly out of the chassis,
I then removed the power steering pulley (the one with the green paint on the bolt on picture above) 3 x 10mm bolts to give space to get the old tensioner out of the engine bay,

Then into the wheel arch area and simply remove the small idler pulley that sits next to the crank pulley (this comes on the belt kit too and can be seen on the far right in the pic below) its held on with a single 13mm bolt
I found a deep swan neck spanner or socket wrench made it easier to undo,
photo 1 (2).JPG

then refitting is just a reverse of the removal apart from the tensioner spring which i found was easier to compress before i refitted it to the pulley with a jubilee clip (a proper jubilee clip is strong enough a cheapo one will break!) then re route the belt and undo the jubilee clip,
then lower the engine onto the subframe and do 2 full rotations of the engine and check the belt is properly aligned before putting the rest back together,

just to give you an idea of time required This took me 3 hours in total on my back on the drive but i would say i could do it faster if i did it again!

This is a picture of the tensioner i removed it was 36k miles and 3 years old and was completely seized on the collar pointed out in the picture which is a very good reason to listen to renaults advice on the changing of these at 36k,
this is the kit I got off ebay to replace it and included everything i needed, 1 x belt, 1 x idler pulley 1 x tensioner
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151414113879?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
photo 4 (1).JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The other job was brembo discs, pads and super blue fluid change, cheers to G172 for sorting me out,
While I was in there I gave the calipers a good clean and a coat of paint,
I also replaced the steering rack bushes with powerflex black series a fairly easy job but didn't get the pics from that.
photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
After a really boring Russian grand prix I thought I'd better do something productive with the rest of my Sunday so sorted a small oil leak from the crankcase vent plate on the cam cover
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
While it was in bits I removed the throttle body and gave it a good clean, followed by a Engine Oil and Filter change.
photo 4.JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Today I managed to get the CookSport springs fitted so here's some pics of before and after.
For reference the car is on 16'' trophy turinis fitted with 205 45 16 pilot sport 3's
BEFORE:
photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG

AFTER:
photo 3 (1).JPG

photo 4 (1).JPG

photo 5.JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I have found a small oil leak from the gearbox selector shaft seal so I've ordered a replacement off ebay but until it's arrives the only thing i could find to do was was and polish both cars with Meguiars products, came up pretty nice!
IMG_0004.jpg

Also fixed the toaster that the wife has being asking me to do for a while, so if you have a faulty 4 slice Dualit I'm your man!
IMG_0002.jpg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
In short Sh!t hot,
I would say on par with ad08 and R1R's for outright grip and excellent in the wet too, Costco in Hunslett is the place to buy them from,

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Also fitted the Rear a.r.b tonight,
also fitted a stiff shift 3.0 to the scenic shifter the other day, great improvement!
IMG_2204.JPG

Last edited:

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
On a trip to Sainsburys today the management light popped up to say hello, my first thought was the the o2 sensor or blow on the cat due to the amount of times it's been unbolted when playing with the megane scenic shifter to get it absolutely perfect, so when I got back I plugged the laptop in and got DF057 which is upstream lambda circuit fault, so on the ramps and seen as the exhaust seemed fine I had a fiddle with the sensor wiring unplugged it gave it some contact cleaner, ran the car around the block, et voila! sorted hopefully!
IMG_0045.jpg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Christ thats cheap!
Costco have them on offer at £310 set of four fitted at the moment,
I'm looking at 15''s for hill climbing next year, I'm just waiting for the 2015 msa tyre list comes out.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
172 cup shocks arrived today along with spring top plates & new bearing, the cooksports I recently fitted should finish the suspension upgrade for now,
sabelt tow hoops to fit ready for harewood next season,
IMG_0046.jpg

Last edited:

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I also came across a set of these halfrauds 15'' alloys for £40 which will come in handy as a set of track wheels , They're all straight and true 15x6.5 et38 and having had some of these in the past I knew they were pretty light at 5.7kg per rim, these were actually made for halfords by BK Racing so not as sh!t as many people think,
IMG_2265.jpg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to add, The Engine MIL light came back with df057 pre cat lambda signal intermittent, So I swapped the post and pre cat sensor round in the exhaust and went for a drive, fault code returned with post cat lambda this time, so a new sensor is on its way, the cat looked healthy too with a nice wave form from the pre cat and flat line post cat when the good sensor was in both positions.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I've given bargain track wheels a vajazzle in grass green, with a blue pin stripe
I'm sure I'll get some stick over the colour,
also bought some 195 50 15 michelin ps3's for next years road going class at harewood.
IMG_2285.JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
corbeau buckets fitted,
took a bit of tinkering to get perfect but i'm really happy with the result.

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, does any one know how the resistor has to be wired into the airbag loom,
Do you need one for the seat belt pretensioner and seperate one for the seat airbag and are both 3.3ohm.

Got the resistors from maplin m3r3 I thinkk is the code.
Pictures from when I did mine, I cut the plugs, and just soldered onto the wires..

ab628d6d94e1b55875f5ff54e2cc0b4b.jpg

4ac4ebd259883e46cb5aadc7c4c4c2d2.jpg

Reactions: Gus

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
cheers buddy, Im ok with most things but electrics especially on air bag systems scare me, just needed some reassurance

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the seat mounts looked plain, and because I like fiddling if fitted RS stickers,
NEED TO GET OUT MORE!
IMG_2387.JPG

Nice mods mate . I've got the scenic shifter in mine and fancy tightening it up a bit I wondered what stiff shift model you went for . Mine was made a bit better being packed out with rubber O rings but fancy a bit tighter.
Thanks for any help

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
It's the stiff shift 3.0 it came out of a 172 cup gearstick I found on ebay for £30 so just stripped it down and fitted it to the scenic shifter,
It feels a lot better than standard, to the point where I would say it's about perfect, The pure motorsport kit is great for race cars but it would vibrate too much for a road car in my opinion.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Ha, No matey the BM is awesome but things are still moving forward with the clio,
-itg maxogen induction kit fitted
-Vibra technics mounts fitted
-I have made a custom bottom engine mount out of a diesel megane scenic part and land rover defender radius arm bushes
-takata harness
-new track wheels with ad08r tyres
-fog lights removed and replaced with brake duct feeds
-other stuff I've forgotten,
and bought a mk4 golf pd gt tdi for shed duties. (and 61mpg)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Pics required :smiley: I'll have to come and have a gander soon mate!

How do you rate those tyres? Need some 15" inspiration as I'm not sure what to go for. Can't believe how disgustingly cheap you got those wheels for haha

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
How do you rate those tyres? Need some 15" inspiration
only done around 100 miles on the ad08r's but seem pretty good, I'm doing a sprint at blyton at the end of june so will see how they go,
i don't know if you have seen the new wheels, they're alutec wizards I bought them from germany when the pound was strong

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
it's a aston owners club day on the friday the 26th of june, I'm just tagging along with the in laws,
hopefully show a few lardy astons what cheap french tin can do.