ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ball joint stuck

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I was changing my wishbones at the weekend but my ball joints are stuck, I got the pinch bolts out which were an absolute nightmare, but cant budge the ball joints, I need a splitter but don't know which type to go for, does anyone know if I'm better off with a fork type or the threaded separator type?

Cheers

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I was changing my wishbones at the weekend but my ball joints are stuck, I got the pinch bolts out which were an absolute nightmare, but cant budge the ball joints, I need a splitter but don't know which type to go for, does anyone know if I'm better off with a fork type or the threaded separator type?

Cheers

I would go for the fork, not much room for the threaded ones.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Cool, fork it is, yeah I have new wishbones to go on with the ball joints attached so I don't care if i damage the ball joints, they've already been on fire. They've already felt the full force of my hammer but they haven't budged.

Any specific size of fork or will any do the job?

lancecup

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 cup
I didn't even know they came in different sizes lol. I just use a cheap one (think it might be laser) that i have had for years. The most important thing is the hammer if your using a normal claw hammer it can be a right PITA where as a decent size dead blow hammer will get it off in a couple of taps

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I saw a couple of sizes when i was looking about. I've got a decent sized lump hammer which will do the trick

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
There is a long winded alternative... firstly try and prise the pinch section on the hub open a little.

Then if you basically remove the hub/driveshaft (shock bolts, track rod ends) and also the two bolts holding the ball joint into the wishbone you will then be able to access the ball joint from the top. You can then wack it with a punch / hummer.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
the pinch prise is always a winner, don't need to remove anything to try that, just get a big flat head screwdriver or chisel and smack that into the crack with the trusty lump hammer

this should splay the pinch part of the hub and crack the ball joint out no worries, always worked for me on even the most stubborn buggers

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Belt it on the underside so the balljoint goes up a little and frees off the rust, bit of plus gas penetrating oil, old flat ended screwdriver to open the slot up a little then belt it out. 5 mins job done