ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

balanced and lightened crank

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
hi , I am building a high compression engine and was thinking about getting the crank balanced and lightened.
can anyone recommend somewhere in the northwest that will do it and roughly how much it costs.
many thanks rob

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thanks for the reply,not got that sort of money really. I was just interested in the cost to see if it was an option.
cheers

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Well worth doing, send everything that bolts to the crank. Pulley, clutch flywheel.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
All depends on the crank you’re using. If it’s the standard ph2 172 item, I wouldn’t waste your money. They’re s**t and flex far too much. Only cranks worth bothering with are the ph1 crank and the 197 crank. Anything else is better off being used as a door stop.

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
Balance yes, but lightening the crank is a recipe for disaster as you could end up releasing all sorts of manufacturing stresses. As mentioned above, bolt the flywheel to the crank and the clutch cover to the flywheel and then get it balanced. I was absolutely gobsmacked at the amount of material removed from my clutch cover to get that balanced.

dan's cast offs.
All depends on the crank you’re using. If it’s the standard ph2 172 item, I wouldn’t waste your money. They’re s**t and flex far too much. Only cranks worth bothering with are the ph1 crank and the 197 crank. Anything else is better off being used as a door stop.

the oil pump isn't prejudiced though, it will kill any of the cranks ?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Balancing the pistons, rods and crank etc can help on the harmonics and allow more sustained high revs. You can reduce the mass from the flywheel and clutch if you really want to save a lot of weight. Moving to a small race clutch and flywheel probably saves 5 kg or so vs standard.
No change out of £1500 there though :D

dan's cast offs.
Stick a lightweight crank pulley on, the polish guy who makes them says it will turn your car into a race car and won't do the crank any harm at all!!!°°

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Stick a lightweight crank pulley on, the polish guy who makes them says it will turn your car into a race car and won't do the crank any harm at all!!!°°

I'm sure that's the guy who i questioned about those pulleys and how they have a lack of vibration dampening could cause damage to the crank.

He said i don't know what i'm talking about, they're completely fine ?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Its an interesting one. Somewhat unrelated but this was popular with my car - Toyota AE86 - one of the tuners ditched the full solid setups for ruberised again stating they were more trouble than they were worth.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
But on the flipside. Modern cars are internally balanced so these are more to do with noise and vibration. Helping the car be more refined. With our Renaults I dont think theres been any long term assessement of removing it but its probably not a big deal..probably. Not a massive gain either

dan's cast offs.
afik they are there for the pulses from the combustion stroke? the differences he claims are absurd as well yet nothing on the dyno to show the tiny tiny difference they do meke though.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Ohh like PTFE gaskets. I've been asked to sell them but I can't find any data they make any real world difference to offset the extra trouble of sealing them

dan's cast offs.
we're looking to buy a shed to use as a test/development car and one of the plans is to run it without inlet gaskets, most people think it's impossible to do. funny though as when i said about building a 125 2 stroke up without a headgasket i got laughed at...until it ran ?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
we're looking to buy a shed to use as a test/development car and one of the plans is to run it without inlet gaskets, most people think it's impossible to do. funny though as when i said about building a 125 2 stroke up without a headgasket i got laughed at...until it ran ?
It'll work if both mating faces are bang on machined.

CLIO 172,CLIO182
I would recommend these guys https://www.head-shop-uk.co.uk/ Warrington based, did mine about four years ago, mines only ever been thrashed around a track and is still going strong, dyno run once a year proves its not lost many horses over the years

Clio rs 3
[QUOTE = "NorthloopCup, post: 11691357, membro: 61663"] Tutto dipende dalla manovella che stai utilizzando. Se si tratta dell'articolo ph2 172 standard, non sprecherei i tuoi soldi. Sono s ** t e flettono troppo. Solo le pedivelle che vale la pena di preoccuparsi sono la manovella ph1 e la manovella 197. Qualunque altra cosa è meglio che venga usata come fermata della porta. [/ QUOTE]
PH1
PH2

That`s all right?

Attachments

• 14927f389a10cf7055831b8603a12804.jpg
    14927f389a10cf7055831b8603a12804.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 78
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 88
  • ofpy69.jpg
    ofpy69.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 91

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
[QUOTE = "NorthloopCup, post: 11691357, membro: 61663"] Tutto dipende dalla manovella che stai utilizzando. Se si tratta dell'articolo ph2 172 standard, non sprecherei i tuoi soldi. Sono s ** t e flettono troppo. Solo le pedivelle che vale la pena di preoccuparsi sono la manovella ph1 e la manovella 197. Qualunque altra cosa è meglio che venga usata come fermata della porta. [/ QUOTE]
PH1
PH2

That`s all right?
Yeah that’s it mate. You’ve missed out the ph2 182 crank though as that’s different again, but equally as shite as the ph2 172 item.

Clio rs 3
[QUOTE = "NorthloopCup, post: 11693835, membro: 61663"] Sì, questo è il mio compagno. Hai perso la pedivella di ph2 182 anche se è diverso, ma altrettanto shite quanto l'articolo ph2 172. [/ QUOTE]
You have one image for my album?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Ohh like PTFE gaskets. I've been asked to sell them but I can't find any data they make any real world difference to offset the extra trouble of sealing them
Lol....wouldn't the heat just go trough the bolts?
And most of the heat is probably from radiation, not conduction. Be better off shielding/c oiating or some such.....

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Lol....wouldn't the heat just go trough the bolts?
And most of the heat is probably from radiation, not conduction. Be better off shielding/c oiating or some such.....

You would certainly get conduction through the bolts. I've seen some on an old supertouring car with a PTFE gasket and a fancy O-ring seal setup but I'm guessing gas speed is high enough that its never been a worthwhile pursuit for main stream parts as the gas barely has time to absorb heat as it passes through convection.
As you can cool the air with fuel the issue is even more slight.

Which leads to your other point. Convection through air to another object is relatively inefficient so if you have a cool airflow through the enginebay other parts are unlikely to heat significantly via that method. It will be more through conduction.