ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back to the fold - Supercharged Clio 172 Track Car

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
That's right..... I bought Cub's car.

I'll keep track of all the goings on in here!

e9af416a-f43f-491d-a4d3-366df1d90c21-jpeg.jpg

Weird thing is, I went to view this car when I was 17 (13 years ago)! I didn't buy it then, as I couldn't afford it. Spooooky.

Annoyingly I snapped the splitter getting it off the trailer. So that's first to do.

Will get a track day booked asap!

Also people with PMS shifters.... are they meant to be stiff, with no centre return? Its bloody weird.

benji93

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 182, mk1 mx5
If it's the same one he had at csf a couple years ago then this is an absolute machine, couldn't have had a better passanger ride! Bring it back to csf in July [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
That's right..... I bought Cub's car.

I'll keep track of all the goings on in here!

View attachment 1394466

Weird thing is, I went to view this car when I was 17 (13 years ago)! I didn't buy it then, as I couldn't afford it. Spooooky.

Annoyingly I snapped the splitter getting it off the trailer. So that's first to do.

Will get a track day booked asap!

Also people with PMS shifters.... are they meant to be stiff, with no centre return? Its bloody weird.
My PMS worked a treat, but my mate who had an earlier one had the same issues as you are describing..... his was an arm work out just to change gear

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mines I thought one of the early PMS shifters and centres fine, its the gold shaft type and I've had it 4+ years now I think

cracking purchase anyway and looking forward to progress!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
mines I thought one of the early PMS shifters and centres fine, its the gold shaft type and I've had it 4+ years now I think

cracking purchase anyway and looking forward to progress!
Someone tried to sell me a Charged Mk1 for £12k.... LOL

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
when? there is only one supercharged mk1 I know of and its definitely not for sale

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
when? there is only one supercharged mk1 I know of and its definitely not for sale
Last week. Its Silver. Has a charged 172 engine in it. He was quite sad when I told him I could build it twice over for £12k.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Bought not built! It’s the way forward.

I wish I’d of been doing it 20 years ago - is of probably paid my house off.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Last week. Its Silver. Has a charged 172 engine in it. He was quite sad when I told him I could build it twice over for £12k.

Got the lads contact details? Rotrex? As it won't fit normal method due to subframe so intrigued by this

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Got the lads contact details? Rotrex? As it won't fit normal method due to subframe so intrigued by this
He’s called Simon from NI, the rotrex is mounted high, tight to the inlet, that clears the SF with only a small notch.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Sad to see it go but glad it went to a good home and will get used.

The PMS is one of the very earliest ones, hence it not self centring and is stiff.

I never bothered swapping the bearing out because i’d got used to it, but as others have said you can upgrade the bearing on it.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Sad to see it go but glad it went to a good home and will get used.

The PMS is one of the very earliest ones, hence it not self centring and is stiff.

I never bothered swapping the bearing out because i’d got used to it, but as others have said you can upgrade the bearing on it.
Already ordered a new bearing as it pissed me off when packing it of the trailer!

Next job will be making the bumper quick release so I can take it on an off rather than bringing a forest worth of wood with me to get it off the trailer!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Already ordered a new bearing as it pissed me off when packing it of the trailer!

Next job will be making the bumper quick release so I can take it on an off rather than bringing a forest worth of wood with me to get it off the trailer!

Just don't attach the screws holding the bumper on.

My 182 is like that and i can take it off in seconds. Practically held on where it clips into the wings.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great buy mate, it was capable enough on track when I drove it pre-supercharger, it must be an animal now. Sadly never got to go out in it when ‘charged. Enjoy it!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
New bearing for the PMS is here. Will try to get that on this weekend.

Also I found some push button quick release clips that I'll use to make the bumper removable. I'll need to fix the splitter back on too!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Set about the PMS tonight.

After realising what an utter f**k taking it off and repressing the bearing would be.

I decided to try to lube the thing up as all the joints were dry.

70% improvement straight away. So I’ll save the bearing till another day. Probably when I fit a Sport cat.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
First day of using it.

4868ED1F-9E89-4082-A373-11A56521B298.jpeg
055FBD94-212E-4B4B-A8E9-748D94888650.jpeg

First impressions:

It doesn’t like going into 3rd gear
It’s set up very twitchy
Front wheel drive isn’t very exciting
It’s kinda quick
Seats are comfy