ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Astra GSi - Mk4

There is no doubting that it is s**t in many, many ways. However, my daily got written off so I needed a car in a hurry. This was local, cheap, had a tow bar and I can fit about 15 wheels in the back of it. The engine is rubbish, as are the gearbox, brakes and handling. However, for what it cost, it's relatively quiet and comfortable when sitting on dual carriageways and A-roads, which is all it does most of the time.

If I didn't have any other cars to play with, I probably would have topped myself by now though to be fair.

The Corsa Nurburgring is supposed to be ok. Not driven one though. I did drive an Astra J VXR a few years ago. I expected to hate it, but it was surprisingly good.
Do like the Astra J, would defo need a test drive if I was in the market for a fwd hatch. Think they've got a perfohub/revo knuckle alternative and mechanical diff.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Do like the Astra J, would defo need a test drive if I was in the market for a fwd hatch. Think they've got a perfohub/revo knuckle alternative and mechanical diff.

Yeah, they're getting very affordable now. I really did think it would be awful, but it was actually a decent drive. The interior isn't the best, though the seats are nice. Decent looking from outside though. Like you say, they have the fancy separate hubs and a diff, along with Brembos etc. Ultimately, I chose the Megane, but the Astra is a decent motor for sure. Was well regarded by journos at the time too.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I drove a Corsa Vxr nurburgring on track back to back with a normal one and the difference was night and day. I wouldn't buy a standard one let's put it that way. I drove the latest Astra vxr if that's the j shape across Europe probably doing 1500miles and it was just a meh experience. Gearbox and steering lacked any feel, brakes were just ok recaros are good. I got out and thought i wouldn't care if I drove that car again or not. Rather than giving me any form of excitement. It was just quick in a straight line for me

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I grew up on a ruffian estate and anything GSi to me is sex on wheels and I'm not f**king scared to admit it alright!!!:ROFLMAO:

My dad had Cavalier's, Novas, MK3/MK4 Astras and now a MK5 Astra. Growing up around them was ace because they were always broken so I learnt how to fix stuff from the age of about 7?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I still think a well cared for one is a lovely looking car, Used to want Arden Blue but think I'd go Silver now, Nice and subtle.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Need to get
1. a grey tracksuit shave your head.
2. cap
3.pair of finest Nike air max all bought from sports direct
4. seat back at 45 deg lean to one side.
5. window always half down (whatever the weather) music up.
6. Kill it everywhere.
7. Lean out of windows at schoolgirls.
8. Get a blow of valve.
9. Call everyone bruv.
10. Get exhaust to pop (as cheap as possible)
11. Try to look as intimidating as possible always (even thou you are 9 stone wet)

That's about it you all set to go now!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Need to get
1. a grey tracksuit shave your head.
2. cap
3.pair of finest Nike air max all bought from sports direct
4. seat back at 45 deg lean to one side.
5. window always half down (whatever the weather) music up.
6. Kill it everywhere.
7. Lean out of windows at schoolgirls.
8. Get a blow of valve.
9. Call everyone bruv.
10. Get exhaust to pop (as cheap as possible)
11. Try to look as intimidating as possible always (even thou you are 9 stone wet)

That's about it you all set to go now!

...you forgot;

12. No seatbelt
13. Vape clouds billowing from the driver's window

That's the full house right there.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I drove a Corsa Vxr nurburgring on track back to back with a normal one and the difference was night and day. I wouldn't buy a standard one let's put it that way. I drove the latest Astra vxr if that's the j shape across Europe probably doing 1500miles and it was just a meh experience. Gearbox and steering lacked any feel, brakes were just ok recaros are good. I got out and thought i wouldn't care if I drove that car again or not. Rather than giving me any form of excitement. It was just quick in a straight line for me

The Nurburgring Corsa is supposed to be a big step-up compared to the normal one. Would be interesting to drive one. I think even the normal one could be good if you spent a bit of money on a diff/suspension. They're peanuts to buy now too. Shame the engine/gearbox isn't the best.

Surprised you didn't like the Astra, I was quite impressed by it, though I did go into it with pretty low expectations.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
The Nurburgring Corsa is supposed to be a big step-up compared to the normal one. Would be interesting to drive one. I think even the normal one could be good if you spent a bit of money on a diff/suspension. They're peanuts to buy now too. Shame the engine/gearbox isn't the best.

Surprised you didn't like the Astra, I was quite impressed by it, though I did go into it with pretty low expectations.

Yer the diff and the suspension make the nurburgring one. If you got a normal one cheap enough and did the same mods on sure it would be just as good. Not sure if they tweaked other areas. I would be tempted to fit the engine from the H as I believe they are forged?

The Astra just wasnt raw enough I dont think, not much noise even tho we had an exhaust on our one. Handling was alright when we started pushing it but I think the lack of feel puts you off.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yer the diff and the suspension make the nurburgring one. If you got a normal one cheap enough and did the same mods on sure it would be just as good. Not sure if they tweaked other areas. I would be tempted to fit the engine from the H as I believe they are forged?

The Astra just wasnt raw enough I dont think, not much noise even tho we had an exhaust on our one. Handling was alright when we started pushing it but I think the lack of feel puts you off.

Yeah sounds like they make a big difference, With normal ones available for sub-£3k, you could probably make a decent track car out of them. I'm not sure if the later ones are forged. Some people do seem to have problems with them, but it sounds like the injectors are a bit weedy so, coupled with a poor map and some abuse, problems are inevitable.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah sounds like they make a big difference, With normal ones available for sub-£3k, you could probably make a decent track car out of them. I'm not sure if the later ones are forged. Some people do seem to have problems with them, but it sounds like the injectors are a bit weedy so, coupled with a poor map and some abuse, problems are inevitable.

They run out of fuel on a standard map, let alone trying to accommodate for more boost!

The steering on a Corsa VXR should be enough to preclude anyone who can drive, from buying one.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
They run out of fuel on a standard map, let alone trying to accommodate for more boost!

The steering on a Corsa VXR should be enough to preclude anyone who can drive, from buying one.

Yeah was reading that the standard injectors are basically maxed out, even at standard power, so to extract power safely, you need to change them.

I'd be interested to see what the steering is like. Sadly it's a criticism that could be leveled at most cars these days though.

Yeah, they're getting very affordable now. I really did think it would be awful, but it was actually a decent drive. The interior isn't the best, though the seats are nice. Decent looking from outside though. Like you say, they have the fancy separate hubs and a diff, along with Brembos etc. Ultimately, I chose the Megane, but the Astra is a decent motor for sure. Was well regarded by journos at the time too.

A mate of mine has an Astra J VXR and it's a massive step up in quality from the Astra H VXR and Astra G GSi.

I'm not into Vauxhall's per se, but there's no denying the Astra J is a stylish, quick, and very well built car (other than the gearboxes which need regular oil changes).

Standard they run about 280bhp but they are a very heavy car, so not as quick as you'd expect. He found that it wasn't keeping up with Audi S3's, new Civic Type R's etc and even Golf GTI's were staying with him at only 210bhp. He's since had it tuned to 320bhp so it now goes and sounds a lot better. I think they're great value for money and one of these would get my vote over the predecessors.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
A mate of mine has an Astra J VXR and it's a massive step up in quality from the Astra H VXR and Astra G GSi.

I'm not into Vauxhall's per se, but there's no denying the Astra J is a stylish, quick, and very well built car (other than the gearboxes which need regular oil changes).

Standard they run about 280bhp but they are a very heavy car, so not as quick as you'd expect. He found that it wasn't keeping up with Audi S3's, new Civic Type R's etc and even Golf GTI's were staying with him at only 210bhp. He's since had it tuned to 320bhp so it now goes and sounds a lot better. I think they're great value for money and one of these would get my vote over the predecessors.

Yeah think the gearbox is much the same as that used in the previous model, so still a bit of a weak point unfortunately.

The MK3 Megane is always going to be a thorn in its side, as it follows a very similar formula, but is the slightly better car from a driving perspective. The Astra is dropping in price rapidly now though, which makes them a decent proposition.

I'd certainly consider one, and I don't often say that about a Vauxhall.

182 clio

Saab b204 engine fits nicely to.
Far better engine

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Probably not really necessary in a Corsa though. The standard engine will do 240-250bhp, which is more than enough in a car like that.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't that just a version of the Vauxhall engine?
It's a GM engine

My cousin had a 93 that was 380bhp on a standard engine with a TD04, a clutch, injectors, downpipe and a few other little bits. For the money spent per 100bhp you cant go wrong

They just dont go well, his would torque steer and spin up in 3rd and only after 80mph would it start to feel like its anything safe?

320d
I had an Astra VXR Nurburgring for a year because I wanted the amazing noise they make. It wasn’t dynamically brilliant but it was miles better than people say they are, albeit mine was on coilovers.

Vauxhall’s have to be the worst car brand on the road. I have no idea why anyone would want to buy one over any other brand. I can’t think of a single model they produce that isn’t worse than their competitors.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Vauxhall’s have to be the worst car brand on the road. I have no idea why anyone would want to buy one over any other brand. I can’t think of a single model they produce that isn’t worse than their competitors.

Depends what you want I guess. They're always available with massive discount. Pre-registered ones are often a good chunk cheaper than their rivals and they're pretty generous with equipment compared to the likes of Ford. If you aren't a petrol head and just want something new/newish that's good value, I can see why it would appeal.

As said above, the Corsa Nurburgring and Astra J VXR are pretty well regarded, as were the Monaro and VXR8.

Plenty of people like them, so they can't be that bad.

Trying to find a standard GSi is the problem now. I’d love an Arden Blue one with standard Silver Alloys.

Regarding the steering of the Corsa VXR’s and any other VXR product it’s no worse or better than its competitors IME.

I really don’t get the hate. The image is tarnished but i see more chav’s in leased M135i’s and Golf R’s tbh.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Trying to find a standard GSi is the problem now. I’d love an Arden Blue one with standard Silver Alloys.

Regarding the steering of the Corsa VXR’s and any other VXR product it’s no worse or better than its competitors IME.

I really don’t get the hate. The image is tarnished but i see more chav’s in leased M135i’s and Golf R’s tbh.

Go back 10 years ago and those people in Golf R's, 135i etc were probably in a Vauxhall.