ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Arlo security- cams talk to me!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
As above been look in at these ref the wireless ease of install etc.
Anyone use them and what's the verdict? which ones, pic quality ?wired or wireless ?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I've got two separate Arlo setups, one with two cameras running in a remote location with no fixed internet over a 4G modem and one with four cameras at home. All the cams are the first generation wireless ones.

They're very good from the ease of use and setup point of view, but do have their limitations. You have to remember that they activate like a PIR sensor for an outside light and there is a small delay before they start recording, so they can be sensitive to placement. Anywhere that something fast-moving (e.g. a car) is going to be out of their field of view before they start recording isn't going to work too well.

I have the original basic Arlo cameras, not any of the Pro range, and I'm perfectly happy with them. The image quality isn't the greatest but it's perfectly acceptable. You can do some useful things with them like configure them so that if one camera detects motion then it can also trigger other cameras to record. They also do geofencing so when you go out and leave the geofencing zone it can change mode - useful if you have a camera indoors or covering an area you don't need CCTV for when you're at home.

Essentially I'm very happy with them. They're far from perfect but they are an absolute piece of piss to set up, the cloud service is free, the smartphone app is pretty good. If you understand their limitations and are happy to work around them then I'd say they're good. The first gen kit is getting very reasonably priced on Amazon at the moment now too - although if they're going to be triggering a lot it makes sense to get rechargeable batteries for them.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Anyone else got these or the pro2 version or any other smart cams worth thinking about?

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
Personally, I purchased Nest Cam's after reading some of the mixed reviews that the Arlo system got. Cannot say i'm disappointed that i went for nest to be honest. It's been faultless and not missed a thing at all. It's annoying that you have to pay a subscription (per camera). The quality of the Nest cameras are superb.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Personally, I purchased Nest Cam's after reading some of the mixed reviews that the Arlo system got. Cannot say i'm disappointed that i went for nest to be honest. It's been faultless and not missed a thing at all. It's annoying that you have to pay a subscription (per camera). The quality of the Nest cameras are superb.

Been reading a lot of good reviews about reolink argus 2 cameras too