ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple live event today

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Looks like there will be new 'iPhone X style' iPad Pros with FaceID and no home button as well as Mac Mini update (First since 2014) and a new Macbook Air-style replacement.

And a new Apple Pencil...

I'm also hoping they finally announce the launch of AirPower and new AirPod cases

Steaming on the Apple (US) site from 2pm today

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Years ago I heard people questioning whether there would be an ARM based Mac, I dismissed it at the time (I work on embedded systems with ARM processors) because we weren't yet at the point at which the chips were powerful enough to take on intel, but since Apple are designing their own chips these days what they're able to pack into them (including the GPU's) is pretty eye watering, just shown by the keynote.

I reckon we're close now (within the next 2 years) to seeing at least 1 Mac product with an ARM based CPU.

And to think, Apple used to own 50% of ARM!

White APE
Picked up an XR yesterday as I’m on the upgrade programme. Couldn’t justify the costs of the XS.

What cases are people using for protection? I don’t want anything bulky as I like to keep the aesthaetics of the phone.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It's strange that Apple hasn't released their own cases yet... but apparently a see-through one is coming; I'd wait for that.

White APE
It's strange that Apple hasn't released their own cases yet... but apparently a see-through one is coming; I'd wait for that.

It is very odd! I’ve ordered a clear one from Amazon for now that looks ok. Will see when it arrives.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Picked up an XR yesterday as I’m on the upgrade programme. Couldn’t justify the costs of the XS.

What cases are people using for protection? I don’t want anything bulky as I like to keep the aesthaetics of the phone.

No case on my XS and it has loads of hairline marks on the screen already. Rarely notice them though and tbh after the initial sadface it’s made me less precious about putting it in my pocket with keys etc.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It is very odd! I’ve ordered a clear one from Amazon for now that looks ok. Will see when it arrives.

Hope it's decent. Saw my mate last night who just picked up and XR earlier that day, and he had a clear case from a third party company and it looked so bulky.

No case is always better anyway ;)

Tempted by an XR due to how much cheaper I can get it on contract - actually works out cheaper than buying it and staying on Giffgaff.

Not seen one yet though - how much bigger than the XS do they feel?

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
Saw the XR for the first time. The size is actually rather awkward compared to a 7 or the xs.
The screen also isn't edge to edge so you have a small section round the phone that isn't on.. it looks rubbish. XS for me now after seeing both.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah I thought that if they sorted the bezels out it would have been a good buy I much prefer the aluminium frame.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Have played with my mates one now. I have the iPhone X. It does seem quite a bit bigger... he moved from iPhone 7 and is very happy with it, for me personally, I just don't like big phones, so not for me. The auto-brightness seems to be so much brighter too, especially in a dimly lit bar, it hurt my eyes! Bezels, to be honest didn't annoy me as much as I thought in real life. The colours are nice, don't 'pop' as much as I would like, but definitely nice to have the option.

Ultimately I would go for the iPhone XS, but if you're upgrading from 6/7/8 you'd be perfectly happy with the XR I think (if you don't mind bigger phones)

Honda. Tesla Someday
I have the XS Max 256GB - incredible so far. I avoided the XR because I love the stainless steel on the XS and the better IP rating. Also - I am a sucker for the 'best' phone available... call me an idiot, I agree, just can't help it. I'm not a baller though, its not the 512GB!

edit: The OLED screen is also sexual.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
So I gave in and bought an Xs - I f**king love it and @dk was right, FaceID is very good, seriously good. Pick my phone up and it’s open and ready to go. Very very impressive.
HOWEVER I still maintain that having touchID on this phone would make it even better for certain things like purchasing something. Double clicking the lock button is retarded. Don’t care what you say.

Also bought an Apple Watch 4 - don’t know why I’ve waited so long tbh. Superb device and I’m glad I waited for the slightly larger 44mm one rather than the older smaller ones with smaller screens.

All in all I’m pleased.

Plus I bought them in the US and ended up saving the equivalent of an Apple Watch out there by buying an iPhone and 2 watches

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Also bought an Apple Watch 4 - don’t know why I’ve waited so long tbh. Superb device and I’m glad I waited for the slightly larger 44mm one rather than the older smaller ones with smaller screens.
The last X and XS are both great phones but I’m proper impressed by the series 4 watch. I had one of the original ones and it was a bit tired after 4 years, plus the bigger screen... well worth the cash.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cba doing a new thread but if anyone’s interested.

Apple are doing 0% finance and £2-300ish off iPhones if you trade in an old one.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Finally sorted my iPhone XS dual sim, so have moved my EE contract to the esim and then have put my work 3 physical sim in.

Works well, esim doesn’t work by itself though, needs the physical sim in there too.