ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone give me an idea of parts cost from Renault - 197 just been hit up the back

911 GT3, 320i, M3
I’ve just been hit up the back by a young guy in a bmw, he understandably would rather not go through insurance. My gut feeling is it’s a right off. Does anyone know ruffly what the following parts cost from Renault, not really looking for a scrap yard bodge.

Rear bumper
Rear panel
Tailgate
Bracket for rear bumper

Boot floors also bent but I guess they’d try to repair that. Going to get a price but have warned him it’s likely to be write off with a value around £2.5k (guess that’s about right for 90k mile 197)

911 GT3, 320i, M3
That’s my thinking, been on the phone with him tonight and warned him it’s likely to be written off and he still looking at sorting out cash to avoid insurance as he was quite young with a nice car.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Dodgy ground for you, that level of damage I’d have gone straight to insurance, makes no odds to you.

911 GT3, 320i, M3
I know what you mean it happened tonight and I’ve said it need to be sorted out tomorrow ie cash in my hand if I’m not I’ll have to go though insurance. He understands and I think it’s reasonable enough to give him 24hours to see if we can sort it first.

Reactions: DrR

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Crease in the boot floor + all of that damage (bumpers are silly money direct from Renault) against the cost of the car, which being a 197, in ultimate pristine condition and low mileage is going to be no more than £5000 then I'd say it's most definitely a write off mate. I'd be on the phone to your insurers personally.

Reactions: DrR
  911 GT3, 320i, M3
I’m sure it will be written off, cars prob worth £2.5k as an average 197 with 90k miles. If he brings cash tomorrow he can keep the car and I’ll be happy enough move on and find something else easily enough

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
He has no insurance?

Or more likely scared it will shoot up. What’s the car and what’s it worth? £500 or £5000?.

911 GT3, 320i, M3
I think he’s concerned about insurance shooting up as he was quite young on an almost new BMW 140i.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sounds like a write off as you say . Don't mess about , go through insurance . It's hard luck if the young guys insurance goes up .

SG9 Forester STi
Agree that it sounds like a write off. If it was just a bumper or something then I'd go private but when it's likely to be the value of the car it's got to be safer going through the insurance.

Land Rover
If the guy is prepared to pay you cash then l would check on the legal position, as in are you legally obliged to tell your insurance if you have a crash?
Maybe speak to your own insurance company to see what they say.
And then if you go ahead with it, you’d need to come up with a figure, probably the cost of buying another car in similar condition and give him 24 hours to pay.
The guy may want to pay as a/ if a claim is made he won’t get cover next year or b/he’s got no insurance
What was the damage to the BMW. How is he going to pay for that as well?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
WTF.

If this was a car-park scrape, you could get a bumper painted for ~£300 and move on with life... maybe.

However...

Bent rear floor and a-surface of rear bodywork, probably a broken exhaust, who knows what else is busted (suspension, wiring, structural parts) that you can't see...?!

Go through your insurance - the end.

That's what it's there for.

If the plonker in the other car didn't manage to stop his brand new performance car in time - that's his problem.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
There's no way he's going to get away with not going through insurance. Headlights on a M140i alone for example are worth over a grand!

He'll go insurance when he eventually realises what it'll cost him. Just speed up the process and start going through yours.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Insurance only!! You will end up in s**t otherwise. Car will be write off his fault as he ran in back of you.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yep insurance, make the call now before you get in trouble.

Also young guy driving an M140i???

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Sounds dodgy as f**k !! Bm may be stolen! ? who offers to pay 2.5g cash and then end up with a 25k plus bm with possibly 6 grand damage to sort out too!!

Go through his insurance - the end.

Fixed.

Your insurance will likely go 'whatever' and leave you to do all the legwork claiming off him (in my experience...) apart from getting whatever ambulance-chaser solicitors they're in cahoots with to send you letters saying "tell us if you have whiplash!!!"

You're claiming off his insurance, not your insurance. Do you have his car registration details and his insurance details?

If not, alarm bells are ringing loudly.

IIRC you have 24 hours to report a collision to the police. IMVHO you should...:

- ring Renault NOW and ask for a ballpark quote for all of the parts listed, without labour or painting or fitting, and then workshop book hours (and rates per hour) to paint and replace them (ignoring the boot floor issue for now). If you are local to a Renault showroom, you could even drive over and wander round the back to speak to the workshop chaps direct rather than relying on the shark-like sales guys in the showroom to relay the message and take ages getting back to you.

- Do some quick Autotrader trawling NOW to identify like-for-like (condition, mileage, service history, colour if rare) replacement costs of a whole new car.

- Contact him (in writing, for future audit trail) immediately to give him both the Renault costs without the boot floor (which will likely be £2k+, as already mentioned) and the Autotrader like-for-like prices, to show the stupidly high repair costs and therefore the likelyhood of write off and the expected cost implications associated with that. State that on the basis of the evidence presented, you must therefore seek the full replacement cost of the vehicle in cash or bank transfer [to a rarely used account with nothing in it!] if he does not wish to go through insurance.

- In your contact, ask him to confirm receipt of your message by return email/text message, and ask him to confirm or reject your preferred resolution of the full replacement value. State that you are giving him until 30 minutes before the time the accident occured yesterday to respond because you need to report it to the police within 24 hours.

- if he does respond by calling you, email/text him with the agreed resolution (or the current position if no resolution) after the call has finished (for audit trail purposes).

- if he responds by text, take a screenshot of the conversation and email it to yourself in case it gets deleted by accident.

- if he does not respond by the deadline, text him at that time to say that it appeasrs the deadline has been missed and you need to ring to report the collision to the police in 10 minutes.

- if that doesn't result in a response, get calling the old bill. And his insurers, if you have the details.

TBH, even if he does text and confirm he is happy to pay £5k in cash (or whatever) I think I'd still call the police to report the collision. That way it's recorded and you have something to wave at him if he dicks you about coughing up the cash.

Land Rover
I’d be willing to bet there’s little damage to the BMW.
It may be a company car and he’s worried about losing his job.
It won’t be stolen. If it was stolen he’d have given false details and cleared off, if he’d bothered to stop at all.

arChi69

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at all the insurance lovers here, you'll have accident on record even if non fault, likely insurance increase anyway.

If he gives you 2.5k cash then take it, maybe his parent are minted, no big deal really.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I’d be willing to bet there’s little damage to the BMW.
It may be a company car and he’s worried about losing his job.
It won’t be stolen. If it was stolen he’d have given false details and cleared off, if he’d bothered to stop at all.

Don't need much damage on a bmw for big money repairs.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I’ve just been hit up the back by a young guy in a bmw, he understandably would rather not go through insurance. My gut feeling is it’s a right off. Does anyone know ruffly what the following parts cost from Renault, not really looking for a scrap yard bodge.

Rear bumper
Rear panel
Tailgate
Bracket for rear bumper

Boot floors also bent but I guess they’d try to repair that. Going to get a price but have warned him it’s likely to be write off with a value around £2.5k (guess that’s about right for 90k mile 197)

What's happening then has he paid up??

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'm confused why you would give a s**t if his insurance goes up or not?

I'd have been on the phone the very second I'd seen the damage.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I'm confused why you would give a s**t if his insurance goes up or not?

I'd have been on the phone the very second I'd seen the damage.

If he's driving a 140i (insured?) he is not skint. unless mommy and daddy won't be happy he's banged his present !

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
So what? If I saw the back of my car looked like a write off I'd be on straight away making sure I was looking after number 1.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
He's fucked up no 2.5k cash I reckon. And bm on false plates possibly! ? So no insurance either.

Do you guys not have the likes of Crash Services (https://www.crashservices.com/) on the mainland? They're fantastic. The moment someone bumps you, give them a call and they sort everything out from start to finish at no cost to yourself.

What do they even do aside from bumping insurance premiums up for everyone?

Have an accident - ring insurers - they do it all from there anyway?

911 GT3, 320i, M3
Sorry for the delay in update had another chat with him the following morning and on reflection of likely overall cost we’re going through insurance.

As for why to entertain him paying cash, I personally could care less where the cash comes from as long as I don’t end up out of pocket, if it had worked out better for him then so be it, and to give him less than 24 hours to decide didn’t seam unreasonable. I remember having m3’s at 21 and how a claim would have affected my premiums.

Now the real fun begins, I went to a recommended body shop for a quote which came back as £3.5k, my insurers direct line suggested their place who wanted to use patten parts so I’ve told them to sod off, his insurers have spoken to me and suggest their preferred body shop quote, they seam to get pretty good reviews and agreed that pattern / used parts weren’t acceptable and that edge on edge painting of panels was a waste of time. So have some faith in them

Can’t imagine they’ll be able to bring it down to a cost that will mean it will get repaired as the rear panel has moved in an inch or so, the boot floors bent on one side as is the panel to the side of the rear panel.

Hoping the body shop will get a quote back tomorrow and then I guess it will be a fight with the insurer about values, my guess is a 90k mile 197’s somewhere between £2.5-3k

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Do you guys not have the likes of Crash Services (https://www.crashservices.com/) on the mainland? They're fantastic. The moment someone bumps you, give them a call and they sort everything out from start to finish at no cost to yourself.
I'm not sure if thats the same . But I know a couple of people who have used a service were they ended up being paid out for the car , got to keep their cars and also got paid out for injuries.

If they do write it off, ask for a quote to buy it back - then you could just fit secondhand bits, do a quick-and-dirty paint job on it and get it on track, and still have enough to get another car.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I can't see them getting it repaired, if quotes are coming it at £3500 and the likely payout is similar it'll get written off.

Chances are they probably value it at £3K or less.