ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

andy_coops - Iceberg 172

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
FFD9705F-97C4-4C2C-B812-33DF29659387.jpeg
E1B08C6F-A7D9-4DB2-8966-0F4D56C0EB62.jpeg
DDE6A79C-A7F9-499B-A5D0-710B569FD3C8.jpeg
C585A15F-EA1D-41FB-B411-78B16B15B545.jpeg
23C3BBB5-FFCC-40FE-B349-1D20A87C2C57.jpeg
7BC6D8DD-D217-4A0D-8CC8-FE9A5EC52D69.jpeg
47A06EDE-A7C8-41B4-B833-05FE07E853EB.jpeg
A591C7A9-066A-4AC7-9230-B8351B0C6565.jpeg

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
So after over 2 years of ownership, I finally found a spare day to get her into the shop and do some polishing.
Single stage with Angelwax Resurrection using MF pads then a coat of Fusso - I ceramic coat cars day in and out so fancied a change. All trim coated with Gtechniq C5 and Clio badge removed with RS badge taking its place.
Won’t win any concours trophies but way better than before ?

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Update - I’ve done a buy...
The Fiesta wasn’t cutting it as a daily for a lot of reasons so I’ve bought what I should have bought 3 months ago.
49k, full history, belts done last year, standard “boring” spec which is exactly what I want and need for daily duties.
Filthy even by my standards but that’ll get sorted shortly.
Lengthy test drive yesterday - no gearbox or suspension issues but had a nightmare day bringing it home when a misfire developed. Replaced plugs and coils and all is well and dealer paying for it without the ballache of taking car back and waiting.
So far impressions are that it’s a bigger and slightly more refined version of my 172. Handling is brilliant and I’m averaging low 30s mpg which is irrelevant in this sort of car but still a bonus for daily use.
No plans to mod or piss about with it other than a thorough clean inside and out. Wheels need to be darker but that’s it.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What colour are the wheels on your 172. If mine does not sell I need to get my wheels refurbished the same or similar. They look awsome. Nice new daily too.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
What colour are the wheels on your 172. If mine does not sell I need to get my wheels refurbished the same or similar. They look awsome. Nice new daily too.
Anthracite mate. Believe it’s a Mercedes colour and it’s quite light. Haven’t got a code I’m afraid.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Corr thought the 172 had gone/was going there for a sec!!

Looks a cracking car that Andy, lovely refined but fast daily with the 172 as a toy
Nah - 172’s staying forever lol. They’re very different cars but you can feel the shared stuff very clearly ?

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Few little jobs done. Interior cleaned as best I can at home without my usual gear, ditto engine bay and Silvertecs fitted all round.
C2 mist jets ordered as the standard ones are pathetic and a new centre cap also on order.
Itching to start on the detailing work but rammed at work so it’ll be next weekend most likely - machine polish, wheels off, clean and coat front calipers and paint rears and hubs. Undecided on Paint Protection at this point - may install ppf to bumper as pretty chip free plus it’s a good advert for my business ?

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Which do you prefer?!?!
Honestly? I’m lucky to have both. 172 is rawer and more urgent, albeit not standard. Handling very similar although the 200 is softer. On paper the 200 is quicker but it doesn’t feel it. Less equipment in the 200 than the Fiesta I had before but that doesn’t bother me. Lack of storage is a minor ballache but I don’t fill my cars witj crap anyway so again no big deal.
The 172 isn’t going anywhere any time soon, the 200 is a daily for the foreseeable any hopefully it’ll be a fun thing to have. Heart is 172, head is 200.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Update on the 200...
It’s polished and sealed with Zaino, B pillar trims tidied up and new sportcontact 5’s at the front. Wheels are too far gone so wil be refurbed and front calipers likewise - I know I’m fussy and I knew they were poor when I bought it but I enjoy a challenge lol. Pitted from drive through car wash abuse but they work fine so it can wait.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks great, they are really growing on me the 200's, what's it like to drive? Have been out in a couple before but never driven one

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Looks great, they are really growing on me the 200's, what's it like to drive? Have been out in a couple before but never driven one
Very pointy - chassis is amazing and in non Cup spec not too harsh. Steering direct and really precise. First to third gears a bit short. It feels quicker than I suspect it actually is - I reckon my 172 is no slower but I think that’s the extra weight and sound deadening. Way more top end shove but feels on par with the 172 below 4k. Surprisingly eager at motorway speed in sixth too - haven’t had to change down to make progress. Averaging low 30s to the gallon too so not as thirsty as I’d expected. Overall so far very impressed :)

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Very pointy - chassis is amazing and in non Cup spec not too harsh. Steering direct and really precise. First to third gears a bit short. It feels quicker than I suspect it actually is - I reckon my 172 is no slower but I think that’s the extra weight and sound deadening. Way more top end shove but feels on par with the 172 below 4k. Surprisingly eager at motorway speed in sixth too - haven’t had to change down to make progress. Averaging low 30s to the gallon too so not as thirsty as I’d expected. Overall so far very impressed :)
Sounds good, sounds like it will make a good daily, will have to see if I can get a spin in one, couple of mates have got them but with meg conversions, they take the extra power really well just goes to show how good the chassis is ?

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Pulled them both out in the sunshine today and had a drive out in the 172. The older car still feels more urgent and more low end grunt. Still lucky to have both so I’m happy ?

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Productive day.

I painted the 200 hubs and wheel bolts as they were proper nasty. Rear calipers too - fronts will have to wait until I can afford to have them professionally done.

Took the 172 out for a blast too - whole lotta fun. 3 weeks in and it’s fair to say that the 200 lags well behind its older sister in low down grunt and rawness. Chassis and steering are on par but I genuinely think that on the same B road with me driving, the older car would have the edge. Still happy to have them both ?

Looks great Andy, really does - doesn't surprise me about the 200 being that bit slower! I've never driven one but despite looking awesome they do look a bit more bulky if you get me?

Liking the hubs too, nice and subtle - exactly the same as my Lexus IS200 daily - calipers were so manky, I had hem done silver and the hubs and new hubcentric wheel spacers went black too.

Have a look at the bottom of page 1 https://www.cliosport.net/threads/project-lexus.819497/

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Looks great Andy, really does - doesn't surprise me about the 200 being that bit slower! I've never driven one but despite looking awesome they do look a bit more bulky if you get me?

Liking the hubs too, nice and subtle - exactly the same as my Lexus IS200 daily - calipers were so manky, I had hem done silver and the hubs and new hubcentric wheel spacers went black too.

Have a look at the bottom of page 1 https://www.cliosport.net/threads/project-lexus.819497/
I figured Black easier to keep clean on a daily lol.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m liking the 200 a lot, drives brilliantly and the bits that matter when you aren’t flat out (steering and chassis) are truly superb. It isn’t slow by any stretch but simply lacks the urge and rawness of the older car - not such a bad thing.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Another good day.
Return trip to Surrey Rolling Road where she made 143 last time. Clearly the missing horses have been found.
Next is to aim for 180 so RS lower inlet, 182 manifold and delete A/C.