ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AMG Cherry Breaking - A45 content

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Strictly window shopping, but if anything (feet)...

$_86.jpg

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Nice buy. I'm 100% in the non-aero camp...there's something satisfying driving around in something that 99% of other road users see simply as a humble diesel...yet you can go batsh*t mental in it at the drop of a hat.

It is a bit like that, and the aero in any case just draws more unwanted attention IMO. None of the AMG line really standout to a massive extent, don't really think it's about that. I'm not partial either way, I actually gauged interest in this one simply assuming it had the kit (photos weren't up). After mulling over it, it doesn't bother me.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Nice buy. I'm 100% in the non-aero camp...there's something satisfying driving around in something that 99% of other road users see simply as a humble diesel...yet you can go batsh*t mental in it at the drop of a hat.

I changed my rather plain looking Golf R for a similarly relatively plain looking RS3, debadged, body coloured mirrors, to most it probably looks no different to any other A3. (although the massive calipers usually give the game away on cars like these).

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Looks a lovely bit of kit. Like you say, grey is better over finance white, but that could so easily blend into the crowd as a D. I love it, proper sleeper.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
These have grown on me a lot, I keep seeing a red one near work it has the kit with gloss black wheels and its always mint.
I really like the interiors for a base car so to speak.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Drove it back yesterday around midday. This will likely be a bit of a ramble at this stage, as I'm still digesting it all. The motorway is effortless with the 7 speed transmission in comfort mode. I really couldn't fault the car on the trip back at all (38mpg to boot). At or just under 2k revs there is absolutely no intrusion from the engine or the exhaust when cruising. At times, I struggled to honestly believe it was only a 2ltr engine. As of this point, I'm a big fan of this gearbox in general.

As soon as you sit in the cockpit the seats grip you tight, and with the electric positioning, you can practically sit on the floor - which is quite useful for me as I'm long in the body. Everything is within reach and the menu controls are intuitive enough that you'll grasp them after an outing. I slapped in the postcode, put on the radio and went straight to the nearest Shell.

It's when we get into the features on this build that it starts to get to the meaty stuff, though. This one has the Dynamic + Pack, and it's actually quite rare. I can only assume it's because the name really isn't self-explanatory (It's trickled down from the C63).

This includes:
  • AMG front axle locking differential
  • AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension
  • "RACE" drive program
  • AMG Performance steering wheel
Let me just get started by saying off the bat that Race Mode is pretty brutal for most daily driving. The hang time is high, the exhaust will pop, crackle and gargle with the performance exhaust open, and the steering will stiffen up just enough to help feel more connected. Speaking of the Performance exhaust, I'm not entirely sure why the optional button is even there. In comfort mode I opt to leave it open. Regardless, for most spirited driving in manual mode with Sport+ seems to be more than enough.

As this one has had the DMS tune (425/410) I really wasn't sure what to expect. These cars clock in at 1600kg+ so they're not exactly featherweight. That said, it rips. Others will likely tell you the same so this isn't a revelation, but it's a methodical weapon. License losing levels of power, especially when pressing on with the transmission doing the work - as you tend to let it cog up before giving it a rest. Overtaking a cyclist, the kickback honestly took me by surprise. I was pinned to the seat at one point as I had switched from Comfort to Sport+ once the transmission got up to temperature (which takes a good few miles).

So yeah, there's more - but will obviously get to know the car throughout the coming weeks and months. I'm not missing a manual transmission just yet...

The most important thing to remember is when getting in and out - due to the AutoWatch Ghost and Antihijack...?

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Panoramic roof open on the way home yesterday...I can't get over how good this car sounds for a 4 pot lol.

Should probably take some vids and pics but have been slammed, will try to upload some later on. I think it's also because it is just another Cirrus white A45... Don't get me wrong, I think it looks amazing in the flesh, but there's plenty of content online already lol

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Absolute weapon. Great buy! So much nicer without the stupid aero kit too.

Understated cars with silly numbers are where it's at.

I'd be inclined to agree these days TBH. It's hanging at the moment thanks to the rain we had, going to give it a wash after work and take some half decent pics.

It is savagely quick, too. I doubt I will do much in the way of anything to it beyond the DMS map already on it and extend the warranty beyond when it expires this September. Maybe different feet, but that's about it. AMG modifying doesn't come cheap, I see lol

May replace the exhaust tips as they're starting to de-chrome. Black ones, job done.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
A couple a weeks ago a friend of mine had an edition 1 for a few days which was tuned, the exhaust its just hilarious.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Hi Michael,
Our remap is not detected by Mercedes diagnostics I would advise that you have the option of extending the warranty if you are keen to do so.
Kind regards

Tony

Nice. (DMS Automative)

Seems odd that it's undetectable. Surely they can see the boost levels the vehicle has been achieving as it's all logged?

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Honestly, I'm pretty confident if they wanted to find data log that indicated a remap, they could. Likely depends on how much the bill will come to, and if it's mechanical work being done. £8,000 simply for the transmission plus labour, I'd be surprised if MB would foot the bill quietly. Then again, maybe DMS know their way around.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Remaps are ALWAYS Traceable just depends how hard they want to look.
ECU logs everything.
Had a misfire on my golf GTI once, VW rescue tech came out, told me exact time it happend, speed I was doing,engine load exact rpm, and boost levels at the time it happened!!
I was amazed how much data they can get!
So trust me if they want to find out if your car has been mapped they will.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Want me to ask the Techs at work tomorrow? They’ll know.

No, it's fine. Thanks though. Hopefully won't matter as I don't plan on trying to stomach anyone with a big bill. They're pretty bullet proof thankfully. There are others running a lot more silly. I read somewhere the engines themselves are good for around 600bhp. I may get it rolling roaded if the opp arises just to see where things stand.

I checked the engine telemetry display on the way home last night, but that doesn't seem to think it's running any kind of map at all. Although it's hard to keep an eye on the peak when you've put your foot to the floor. All I seem to be doing is noticing traffic in front of me coming up way too quickly. The nerve.

Last edited:

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Also, the realisation of frequent visits to the pump is setting in(y). Low 20s, simply divine. Don't think the AMG model has the economy telemetry that some of the other models do...wonder why :unsure:

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Also, the realisation of frequent visits to the pump is setting in(y). Low 20s, simply divine. Don't think the AMG model has the economy telemetry that some of the other models do...wonder why :unsure:

?? never a boring mile thou eh!!
You do many miles a week?
If I owned that I would take all the badges off the tailgate too ?

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
About 100 a week for commute so not huge amounts. But yes, there's some dual carriage way and lengthy b road so the right foots never far from the floor at the moment as still playing with manual! Do have another means of transport so may give it a rest occasionally, although I don't want to fall into the same habits I did with the Evo, and never drive it.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
About 100 a week for commute so not huge amounts. But yes, there's some dual carriage way and lengthy b road so the right foots never far from the floor at the moment as still playing with manual! Do have another means of transport so may give it a rest occasionally, although I don't want to fall into the same habits I did with the Evo, and never drive it.

Totally agree it's no good having something like that that you only do 2000 miles a year in. pointless imo made to be driven.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Just window shopping, really. Although you're right to a degree, it's not so much about it being a "sleeper", more that the aero pack looks like it's tacked on and silly.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
If you did that may as well get the aero pack too

Nah. I'm not really sold on the colour, anyway. No matter what I did I wouldn't get the aeropack. It adds nothing to the car, bit like the 200 spoiler. *Flinches*

For what it costs, I doubt I'll ever bother with a wrap so it's by the by lol.