ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aftermarket steering wheel and horn

2003 Clio 172
I've just bought a momo steering wheel to go on my 172 and am wondering what to do about my horn. I've read plenty of horror stories on here about the push button horn shorting out on aftermarket wheels, so the popular alternative seems to be a ph1 stalk. Obviously people have cottoned on to this and are charging a premium for the stalks now. Other than a ph1 stalk, do I have any other alternatives apart from winding my window down and shouting beep beep really loud? ?

monaco 172
I read that the only reason it shorts is because on the wheel it earths when you press the button for cars which only have a live going to the horn plug.

As the clio as a live and and earth on the plug, you can cut away the earth tracks from the Bush button horn.

That's my understanding anyway.

I've got a ph1 stalk you could have for cheap but it's not got front fog switch.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
After reading a few threads on hear, I chopped the bit arrows in the photo below off when I installed my OMP wheel and then connected the the 2 spade tabs up to car wiring using the adaptors that came with my Momo boss and have had a working horn with no issues for over 4 months.

5DA25E40-C500-471D-AD25-B324910A7DA2.jpeg

As I understand it, this piece you remove is to allow for cars that only have a single wire horn and use the wheel as an earth. However, as the Clio have a 2 wire horn this bit of metal is not required and can be removed and then the tabs connected up to the car wiring, will allow the horn to work, negating the need to install a ph1 indicator stalk.

2003 Clio 172
After reading a few threads on hear, I chopped the bit arrows in the photo below off when I installed my OMP wheel and then connected the the 2 spade tabs up to car wiring using the adaptors that came with my Momo boss and have had a working horn with no issues for over 4 months.

View attachment 1381722
As I understand it, this piece you remove is to allow for cars that only have a single wire horn and use the wheel as an earth. However, as the Clio have a 2 wire horn this bit of metal is not required and can be removed and then the tabs connected up to the car wiring, will allow the horn to work, negating the need to install a ph1 indicator stalk.

Thanks, looks pretty straightforward. I'm guessing I cut the plugs off the existing horn wires and just crimp on some spade connectors to attach to the horn button?

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My momo boss came with 2 wiring adaptors that clipped onto the existing wiring plug and then connected to the spade connectors on the back of the horn button.

If your boss doesn’t come with these adaptors then you could always make a set of them up using small spade connectors one end (car plug) and larger spades for the horn button end. This would save you having to chop the plug off the car’s existing wiring, in case you have to refit the original wheel for whatever reason.

clio 172 ph2

View attachment 1381722
nice! just did this to my non working horn and that made my horn work! thanks