ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS/Servo Delete 182

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys, after some advice and opinions. I'm trying to eliminate inconsistent brake pedal feel in my 182. It feels like similar levels of pedal pressure result in a vary level of braking force as well as a varying 'deadzone' between application and bite.
Set up at the moment is as follows:
Brembo HC discs
Ferodo DS1.11 pads
Standard calipers
Braided lines
Archliners removed
Foglamps removed
Standard MC
Motul 660

I'm thinking it's possibly related to the servo/abs, but this is only a guess. I dont think it is related to temperature as it happens from start to finish on track.

I'm looking at grabbing one of these kits from Compbrake. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Any other thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks kids

The servo has a deadzone yes, pump brakes with car off and you can feel how much travel there is before. Im fitting a pedal box right now for the same reasons as you. I couldnt say on the compbrake kit though I think a couple of people on here have used it. Im fitting those same ap racing cylinders and they arnt cheap so should be heaps better than standard setup.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate. It's mainly with my left foot that I notice it, when you just need a quick dab to put the nose down, sometimes I get nothing, sometimes loads! Not confidence inspiring.

Which pedal box did you go for? I had a quick look over them and I couldn't find anything that seemed as bolt-in as the above set up, would rather avoid any fab until I have the front part of the cage in.

Do you know of any build threads using the compbrake kit?

I got this off ebay un used, an argentinian company 'Doppler'. Quality wise its perfectly fine, not as well made as a tilton but for the price It was an good choice.

Bare in mind youl need a master cylinder for the clutch as well a slave cylinder. Im still collecting parts for this setup but you are looking at over 1k, Ive managed to source 2 ap racing cylinders for 70 quid so far, the third bought new for 125 :oops:

IMG_1397.JPG

Have a look in here

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you're right about them not being cheap! Nowt wrong with the other pedals hence just looking at the brake, will probably go for the cheaper one and see if it helps, then look at going all the way at a later date.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
@Hollidog, have you just replaced the original flexi's with braided lines? I removed my ABS over the winter and went to a fully braided setup with a bias valve for the rear brakes and it's made a massive improvement to the feel of the brakes, with a firmer and more consistent pedal. I did have all 4 calipers refurbished at the same time too

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
@Hollidog, have you just replaced the original flexi's with braided lines? I removed my ABS over the winter and went to a fully braided setup with a bias valve for the rear brakes and it's made a massive improvement to the feel of the brakes, with a firmer and more consistent pedal. I did have all 4 calipers refurbished at the same time too

Yes I have braided all round, well at least from the arches to the calipers, don't think there are anymore elsewhere in the lines?

What did you do about MC's?

Pure Motorsport do one. Don't know if anyone on here has tried it yet?

https://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/c...ias-pedal-box-with-tilton-pedal-assembly.html

I'd probably have more faith in the above than the Comp Brake one to be honest. CB don't get great reviews for a lot of their products.

Yes seen that, looks a decent bit of kit, but by the time you've added clutch slave, reservoirs, lines etc, it's a £1400 bit of kit (I like how the MC's are in the cabin to keep them out of the heat, but it would probably require a seat/wheel position change too), but as I say, nothing wrong with the clutch or the throttle (it's actually a ph1 throttle as I'm on bodies) and the compbrake kit seemed like a good middle ground just to see if it helped.

Do you know of any other manufactures for these? I've only been able to find generic ones on ebay etc, not really the place I want to go to stop me from 130mph!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Yes I have braided all round, well at least from the arches to the calipers, don't think there are anymore elsewhere in the lines?

What did you do about MC's?

I've got the standard servo and MC, but have replaced every flexi and hard line, removing the ABS entirely, and running full braided lines from MC to all 4 calipers (using standard 2 port master, 1 line to a T piece for fronts and second line through bulkhead into a bias valve and then on to rears, again using a T piece to split off to the calipers through the rear arches)

For the lines I used a kit from Mitch at Pro Oine Motorsport, works spot on and as I said previously has transformed how the brakes feel and respond

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've got the standard servo and MC, but have replaced every flexi and hard line, removing the ABS entirely, and running full braided lines from MC to all 4 calipers (using standard 2 port master, 1 line to a T piece for fronts and second line through bulkhead into a bias valve and then on to rears, again using a T piece to split off to the calipers through the rear arches)

For the lines I used a kit from Mitch at Pro Oine Motorsport, works spot on and as I said previously has transformed how the brakes feel and respond

I had the same issue with the same setup but Clio 200, I thought I had bedded them in correctly but then had a track day with lots of juddering once warm it seems I underestimated how hot you need to get them during the bedding. I inspected the pads and they where glazed with lots of pad debris on the disc...

View attachment 1534090
Quick rough sand on the pads and fine (1000 grit) on the disc to try and remove the worst of it.

View attachment 1534091
I then went on a 6am bedding in session where I slowly brought the pads up to ‘race temperature’ starting with 70-40 before moving up to 70+-15. I found them to very slowly improve as they warmed and got no juddering. I have then left them to cure for 24hrs, the discs look a lot better and feel smoother hopefully a successful track day this Friday..
Hi mate, I’m looking at the same thing. I think I have a slight weep on the seal between the MC and servo so want to replace with COMPBRAKE pedal box. Did you do this?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Hi mate, I’m looking at the same thing. I think I have a slight weep on the seal between the MC and servo so want to replace with COMPBRAKE pedal box. Did you do this?

I did mate yeah, I've kept the original MC/servo but everything else was ripped out and replaced

You looking at the direct bolt on replacement from Compbrake?

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I am, I thought if I take out the servo and replace it with the pedal box this would be a better permanent fix rather that make good the old rusty servo.
So you didn’t buy the pedal box in the end?