ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

90's modifying scene, what were we thinking????

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I don't think tastes change as I'd say they more 'evolve' ...Most people, myself included thought that Max Power cars looked awful even back then. That generation has been replaced with the 'slow & low/stance' scene, which of course isn't really considered by the majority to be a true petrolhead area of the motoring world. I'm sure another tasteless modifying fad is just around the corner...

You can be both... I personally love some of the stance cars, especially in shows, the workmanship is impeccable. But I enjoy lots of other sides too such as track days, rallying and am particular to totally standard 80s/90s hot hatches :)

Swift Sport
You can be both... I personally love some of the stance cars, especially in shows, the workmanship is impeccable. But I enjoy lots of other sides too such as track days, rallying and am particular to totally standard 80s/90s hot hatches :)
I understand what you're saying, and to a certain extent I also like some of the stance cars. What I was getting at is that scene isn't very well respected but the mature enthusiast and considered by many as 'chavvy' ...Which was no different back in the 90's with Max Power style cars.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
And by mature you mean anyone with a mental age above 17. Which is largely correct.

Anything that isn’t functional, to be honest, is pretty ‘un-petrolhead-y’. The whole point of a car is to be driven so anything that detracts from the driving experience, be it 500kg of audio equipment and fibreglass or driving around with the inner 10mm of your tyre touching the road and the outer 10mm being rapidly eaten by your wheel arch, is literally pointless.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
When the stance scene invented 'hard parking' I lost what little respect for them I had left.

but still bosozoku and Kaido Racers are still pretty awesome.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
And by mature you mean anyone with a mental age above 17. Which is largely correct.

Anything that isn’t functional, to be honest, is pretty ‘un-petrolhead-y’. The whole point of a car is to be driven so anything that detracts from the driving experience, be it 500kg of audio equipment and fibreglass or driving around with the inner 10mm of your tyre touching the road and the outer 10mm being rapidly eaten by your wheel arch, is literally pointless.

Depends how you look at it. Most of the car on airbags are never going to be driven like that, it's almost more of an art form... and we all know how subjective art can be. Although airbags are much better than they used to be and and can still be driven as normal when raised up.

If I had the money, I'd personally love a silly stance car on chrome wheels for driving around in then another separate track car :) again, just because someone has one style of car, that doesn't mean it's the only aspect of motoring they're into.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

Some great cars on there. That 2dr 306 always looked great to me and the RS2000 is a car I've always had a soft spot for. Was on eBay recently. Would love to buy it, but don't really have any justification for it.

A great era. Full of excess, but lots of creative people out there building some wild cars. Like the article says, I don't think a lot of people realise just what an impact had on motoring journalism. It was massive and made the career of many.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
The Bodytone Laguna with the twin turbo v8 will probably be one of the best ones out of that era!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Had the issue with the Laguna in it. Would love to look through some of the old mags now. Gave all of mine away years ago sadly

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
It was hilarious by the early 2000s, it was basically a softcore jazz mag by then. The stuff they got away with was incredible, both in terms of nudey laydees and general bad behaviour.

The only one I still have is the very last one.

Reactions: riz

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Jons Nova, project kicker, Reylands cossie all had place on my wall would still own all 3 today.
Even have to respect some of project thunder, just not the 3 spokes!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Remember most of those! I've still got most of my old Max Power's stored at my mums somewhere, I'll have to get them out sometime. Shame Googling and seeing most of those companies are all shut down. Didn't Jamie Shaw get in trouble with the police for something drug related?