ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Conors 172 Cup - Mondial Blue

Hey Guys,

It's been a while, but I have not forgotten about my favourite toy! As many of you will agree the last few months have been crazy with COVID-19 and lockdown. During this period my Clio was very much out of sight and out of mind due to no track days motivating me to work on it. Since buying in January I only did one visit to Caffeine and Machine and runs ever other week to keep it from going stale.

Having now finished up some work that was keeping me busy, i've had a bit of time to look over the car and decide what I want to do next.

The car is very much a track build already, and you can see the spec here. My objective for this car is to get it back to a nice little head turner that has been well appointed, but no driveway queen, meaning it will still get a good seeing to on the track! It is my third car so does not need to be practical by any means, so I don't really need creature comforts and want to achieve as much "because race car" as I can. The only caveat is that this does need to MOT ready.

With the above in mind, the first few jobs will be to turn it into more "race car" and sharpen up the looks etc. Pictures after the break, but first a quick run down of my tasks.

Any and all feedback welcome. For any of the tasks that will required parts, please feel free to recommend some items and also post pics of you jobs :) A lot of this could all be done in an afternoon save for a few items that might each be an afternoons worth of work.

Interior
  1. Remove headlining and figure out how to save the sun visors or get some alternative.
  2. Remove carpet and add some foot grips/support
  3. Remove transmission gaiter
  4. Tidy up around the transmission area - can I get a tidy little aluminium cover?
  5. Replace door cars with "race car" type
  6. Remove sound system.
  7. Add switch box to radio area - possibly double dine and incorporate hazard/door lock etc into new box.
  8. Remove OEM seat belts and stick with the multi point harnesses already there - yes I know they can be a pain but it annoys me having two, and I dislike the way the straps sit on the OEM one.
  9. Replace fuel tax sensor/sender cover - Can you suggest a part?
  10. Clean interior and spray Mondial Blue. By clean I mean grind down nuisance studs, and remove any adhesive / stuck padding etc
  11. Wiring loom to clean up exposed wiring + tidy up any bad wiring jobs.
  12. Quick release steering wheel boss + lock
  13. Steering wheel - leather. I don't like the way suede can get ruined with hands so leather will do I think.
  14. In one of the photos you will see some rust on one of the inner rear panels - this needs to be investigated and treated. I suspect it is from some kind of leak before?
  15. Some smart storage solution for a small number of bits. What do people have?. Must not rattle lol!
Exterior
  1. Fix outer door tag (the 2.0 litre 16v sign) It fell off and I see the tabs were broken and it was glued so I need to figure that out.
  2. Get 172 Cup decals for side / rear
  3. Fix lacquer peel
  4. Fix blue patch on rear arch
  5. Treat external plastics
  6. Prep/spray windscreen wipers
Engine Bay
  1. General clean up with brush + suds
  2. Review / clean up rusty bits and treat
  3. Tidy up as needed.
IMG_20200719_071354.jpg
IMG_20200719_071404.jpg
IMG_20200719_071418.jpg