ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4K TV's

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Only noticed it on Amazon 4K, and that's the only 4K ive watched. All other stuff is absolutely spot on!
Sorry mate... completely missed the fact that it was only on Amazon watching 4K (The Grand Tour). Seeing as TGT is viewable in 4K UHD with HDR I suspect it might be due to the reason that @Daz. mentions... the HDR dynamic boost thing. As said earlier in my posts, cheaper sets 'fake' HDR and don't do a very good job of it generally. The fact that the panel is using an 8bit+FRC to achieve it's HDR means there's a chance that is causing problems as the tv flicks between different colours to try and fake the desired colour somewhere in between. Of course, there may also be an issue with the Hisense Amazon app... might be worth a quick check online. It was only recently that a fix was made to the YouTube player on Xbox to fix colour problems that were part of the app, not the tv itself.

At least you have a few things to try at the moment!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Sorry mate... completely missed the fact that it was only on Amazon watching 4K (The Grand Tour). Seeing as TGT is viewable in 4K UHD with HDR I suspect it might be due to the reason that @Daz. mentions... the HDR dynamic boost thing. As said earlier in my posts, cheaper sets 'fake' HDR and don't do a very good job of it generally. The fact that the panel is using an 8bit+FRC to achieve it's HDR means there's a chance that is causing problems as the tv flicks between different colours to try and fake the desired colour somewhere in between. Of course, there may also be an issue with the Hisense Amazon app... might be worth a quick check online. It was only recently that a fix was made to the YouTube player on Xbox to fix colour problems that were part of the app, not the tv itself.

At least you have a few things to try at the moment!

Thanks mate.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I think my next ugrade will be going OLED with dolby vision. Dolby vision looks great and it trumps regular 4k HDR10 IMO.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I bought a decent Sony 4k Tv. HDR in a sub 1k TV is a bit iffy. I just switch it off.

My Internet is also only 10mb.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I get that on my Hisense too @Davyy, mines more yellowy though,my dad also gets the same on his 1080p Panasonic, both using a variant of the Fire TV. I only notice this on that program though, everything else is always fine, it only seems to be The Grand Tour.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I get that on my Hisense too @Davyy, mines more yellowy though,my dad also gets the same on his 1080p Panasonic, both using a variant of the Fire TV. I only notice this on that program though, everything else is always fine, it only seems to be The Grand Tour.

Interesting! I still havent fixed it but havent noticed it on anything else either! The series has finished now so i'll not worry

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
Ordered the Samsung UE55MU7000. Comes Monday.
FYI for everyone.

TV came in a huge box, well packaged and secure.
Very easy to put the stand together, they have cool design where they just click in. TV has strips on the side which you can use to lift it up without ruining the screen. You then peel them off when done.
Build quality is awesome.
Picture quality is great. Need to try 4k but otherwise im loving it.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Got a Samsung d8000 in my lounge which is about 6 years old now. Picture is still great on it etc.
Looking for something to put in the extension. 55 inch ideally. Any recommendations of something that will give me a really good picture on hd and 4k? Max of about £1500
Seen a few Samsung's around 700 but unsure how good they are

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Got a Samsung d8000 in my lounge which is about 6 years old now. Picture is still great on it etc.
Looking for something to put in the extension. 55 inch ideally. Any recommendations of something that will give me a really good picture on hd and 4k? Max of about £1500

With that budget id recommend the lg oled C7. We got one last year and it's brilliant. Only really used 4k for Xbox gaming but it's a nice improvement and the HDR adds to that. You'll want to budget in a soundbar or system if you haven't already got one though.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Personally, I would consider one of the following options...

Firstly, blow your entire budget on the 55" LG OLED55B7V set. They were recently slashed in price from £2999 down to circa £1699. Currys, John Lewis and similar often have cashback schemes (Currys had 200 quid off recently on this set) so shopping around should see you able to get this set for around the 1500 mark. LG sets tend to have somewhat disappointing sound output though so, as Adamm. says, you may need to consider beefing up the audio with a sound solution.

Alternatively, I'd look at the 55" Samsung UE55MU7000 - probably one of the best sets available for around the £1000 mark. That then leaves you with 500 quid for a sound system and/or mounting brackets, etc. to suit your needs. It offers good 4k and good upscaled HD and SD. HDR is pretty good too and the low latency, and 120Hz refresh, means it's good for gaming (if that's your thing).

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Loving my 55" LG OLED55B7V, managed to get it for £1312 on Black Friday and seems like that was a bargain now. Everyone in my family who's seen it wants to buy one lol, but they don't want to pay £1700 for it now.

Sound is better than my last TV, and the Dolby Atmos mode is quite impressive sounding for built in speakers, but not as good as a decent surround setup obviously.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I paid £1350 I'd wait for it to come on sale again though now especially with this year's latest batch of TV's it might come on sale around Easter £1700 is a bit steep I thought they had settled at about £1500 now for some reason.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
The sony xe85 and 90/95 are good too..

I got an. Xe85 for 700 i think a while back and its great, except HDR is a bit too fake for my liking.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Honda. Tesla Someday
I've been going a little insane looking for a 65" 4K TV with HDR.

I want it to support Dolby Vision (so will also support HDR10 by default), HLG for Broadcast HDR, 4x HDMI 2/2.2 ports etc!

Its hilarious how manufacturers change their wording to distract the buyer! Some calling HDR10 HDR1000 etc! Yes, when you have HDR you want the panel to be capable of at least 1000 nits of brightness, but the HDR1000 sets only go to about 700!

The Samsung Quantum Dot TV's look great and come with a 10 warranty against screen burn - which is my main worry against OLED panels.

Will keep looking I guess, but getting help from anyone at Richer Sounds etc is near impossible as they all look at me like I am crazy when I start asking them specifics about specs etc! Argh

Honda. Tesla Someday
I also want to add another quick important thing that I *need* the TV to have :-
A 10BIT PANEL!

Some manufacturers advertise their panels as 10bit, but they're not! They are 8bit+FRC! It shouldnt be allowed to be marketed as a true 10bit TV!

/rant lol

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Been looking at TVs for a while now and finally took the plunge and ordered this last night - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302717885710

Currently 10% off AO eBay, so about £580 it was, it comes tomorrow.

Bit of a gamble as it's a brand new model, the first proper review only came out today on TechRadar and it reviewed about as expected. I'm looking forward to trying it out, it does have some limitations, such as only half the inputs being 4k/60, but it seems a bit of a bargain still. It's all a bit up in the air but it should be getting Alexa support too soon, and possibly an update so it runs Android, although this has gone quiet and may not be a good thing anyway as the Hisense OS, while basic, does work well.

Also, as it's the world cup model, for an unspecified limited time you get a 4 year warranty when you register it with Hisense.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy

Really like it. Looks great & Xbox one x games look amazing on it.

Sound quality is also really good, obviously not soundbar quality but good for what it is.

Really can’t complain for under 1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
What’s the most reliable way to connect to a router when it’s some distance away from the TV and not convenient to cable directly?

Honda. Tesla Someday
What’s the most reliable way to connect to a router when it’s some distance away from the TV and not convenient to cable directly?

If running a direct Ethernet cable is not possible, then I would recommend Home Plugs!

Just make sure the Ethernet port on the actual Home Plug is a Gigabit port! I have used these in the past and they are excellent!

Home Plugs are also known as 'Powerline Adapters'.

This is good:
http://amzn.eu/hXJJUWW

And here is another option;
http://amzn.eu/f8bMGLf

Hope that helps!!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Looking to switch to 4k and maybe 65", hopefully for £2k ish. Currently have a Sony Bravia KDL-55W829B which widely got excellent reviews for 1080p, and I agree, I've found it lives up to the hype. Having seen OLEDs in John Lewis I thought that's the way to go but it would probably be a 2017 model (LG OLED65B7V). How do the 2018 QLEDs compare to 2017 OLED? I'm not too bothered about sports or gaming performance. The TV is unfortunately going to be opposite a window so not sure if QLED or OLED would be better suited? I'm also worried 1080p stuff won't be as good as I have right now. Any advice @SharkyUK ?

Honda. Tesla Someday
Looking to switch to 4k and maybe 65", hopefully for £2k ish. Currently have a Sony Bravia KDL-55W829B which widely got excellent reviews for 1080p, and I agree, I've found it lives up to the hype. Having seen OLEDs in John Lewis I thought that's the way to go but it would probably be a 2017 model (LG OLED65B7V). How do the 2018 QLEDs compare to 2017 OLED? I'm not too bothered about sports or gaming performance. The TV is unfortunately going to be opposite a window so not sure if QLED or OLED would be better suited? I'm also worried 1080p stuff won't be as good as I have right now. Any advice @SharkyUK ?

I’ll reply to this later when I’m not about to go to bed! Lol

I recently bought a QLED 65inch.

There is a lot you need to look out for!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I have the LG C7 in 55" I imagine the 65" should be getting near the £2k mark now if it's not already there. I can't compare it to a QLED but it's a fantastic TV. I have a window either side of the TV and get no issues with glare or anything the picture is still very clear.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
The C7 is not far off £2k but more places stock the B7, including Richer Sounds which is where I'd probably get it for the 6 year warranty.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
HI mate, I'm currently working away with a client so will try and reply when I get a chance. What I will say is that the new line of Samsung QLED (high-end) are phenomenal and I'm over the moon with mine. Sure, it's not got the absolute blacks of high-end LG OLED but the colour range, reproduction and HDR intensity and realisation is incredible.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Have just been to look at the 65" 2018 QLEDs vs 2017 OLEDs. Because the TV is going to be opposite a large window I think the extra brightness and anti reflection features of the Samsung QLEDs are going to be the better choice. As for model it's going to be either the 2017 QE65Q9F or the 2018 QE65Q8DN as these have local dimming although there are 10x more zones in the Q9 apparently. I think I'll probably wait for Black Friday and see how close to £2k they get to. The Q9 price is coming down nicely now and the Q8 is already down to £2899 despite it's recent release.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Depends how far you can push the budget, Richer Sounds have some refurb LG OLED B7 for £1079 and they have been as low as £970 odd from there, only a 12 month warranty though.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
The girlfriend will apparently be buying it if i buy her an engagement ring, That's on the cards anyway so can't see her going with returned because female logic.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Finally pulled the trigger on the Samsung QE65Q9FN (2018), roll on Saturday. Can't wait to get a nice bright TV as it has to go opposite a window. It's come down £600 everywhere now, and John Lewis will price match up to 28 days after purchase so if it comes down for Black Friday we'll get the difference. Was just worried they may sell out everywhere if the price drops much more, didn't want to miss out. Excited for 4k content, been storing it up ready for months now ?.