ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

330ci to 172/172Cup/182 .. etc ??

I currently have a 330ci which I'm going to be selling to buy a Clio with a view to trying my hand a few sprints and hill climbs next year.

I'm thinking it should fetch around £3-3.5k so that will be the rough budget. The clio will also double up as my daily car to drive to work it needs to be able to do that also, but I'm more than happy with stiff suspension and the like from a track focused car daily.

I'm really looking for the advise of those who have already bought clio's and made the mistakes or not.

It will end up being modified as I enjoy working on my cars improving where possible so the question is do i go for a cheaper 172 and allow the spare cash to do suspension, wheels, seats etc.. straight away or start with a 172CUP/182FF as a base car and let the modifications follow as and when funds allow ?

Or avoid all that try to stretch the budget for one that has had most of the work already done ?

any thoughts / opinions appreciated.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I’d just buy the best 1*2 you can find for your budget, there isn’t that much of a difference between them all if your swapping parts for upgrades anyway.

So just find the best example of any model IMO.

Buy one built to the spec you require for the events you plan on doing. I would never go down the route of adding modifications again as it's just to expensive and time consuming.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
172 cup is the lightest of the lot, you might find one already done to hillclimb/sprint spec already.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've got a standard 172 that I've replaced all worn shocks with cup versions, no noticable difference to my 182 cup packed car to drive. I personally think the cup packed 60mm hub thing is a bit of a red herring.

So this is my thinking, I will likely end up replacing shocks, springs, bushes etc anyway, so am i better to buy as good condition low mileage and well maintained 172 and save the premium for a 172CUP/182 and spend on the parts that will inevitably need replacing.

It does seem its slim pickings anyway when you actually start looking and filtering down for good honest cars.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Good condition 172, the cup weight saving isn't worth it when your going to strip the 172 anyway.

Strip, fit your safety gear, brakes, 15s/tyres, suspension. And enjoy

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I've got a standard 172 that I've replaced all worn shocks with cup versions, no noticable difference to my 182 cup packed car to drive. I personally think the cup packed 60mm hub thing is a bit of a red herring.

It is one of the weirder things for Renault to change, never fully understood it myself.
You gets a slightly larger wheel bearing as well yes?

Why was it decided this was needed on the 182 Cup pack cars? Why bother spending the money redesigning s**t?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
It is one of the weirder things for Renault to change, never fully understood it myself.
You gets a slightly larger wheel bearing as well yes?

Why was it decided this was needed on the 182 Cup pack cars? Why bother spending the money redesigning s**t?
Yeah bigger bearing and a fair bit more expensive too