ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

20vKarlos' - Renault Clio 172 - Track Car Project - Possible Disaster

Hello all

A bit of a long introduction to bring you guys all up to speed...

A few years ago before I was married, I told the mrs that I wanted a project car once we were married, she agreed and said "As long as I get to help then that's fine!" - Result :smile:

So, we've been married 18 months and 8 months ago I started lining things up for a career change. Did a few Exam's and I swapped my Octavia VRS (pictured below) for a Superb (pictured below). The Superb is now my work horse and my office and it's a fantastic car, I get compliments all the time and I cannot fault it. The only thing is, it's not really a great car for track days is it!
Having said that, Neither is the wife's children carrying beast of an Alhambra (pictured below), although that car shows up a few cars with its 184ps!

Octavia VRS CR170

image_zpstrwylcnk.jpg

Superb DSG CR170 Elegance

IMG_4802_zpsgbrwzyq8.jpg

Alhambra 2.0 TDI SE LUX DSG 184ps

IMG_4116_zpsk21cgsij.jpg

So, in August I bought a project car...A corsa!
The Corsa will be a very long term build and will be a C20LET converted car, that I to fully restore with a lot of 'Karlos' tasteful upgrades and I plan on keeping it forever!
There is a story behind buying a corsa, but I'll save that for the Corsa build thread

IMG_4204_zpszaro365l.jpg

I then got on the hunt for a unit/garage that I could work on/store the Corsa in. With no luck at all, I posted a Gumtree advert. Forgot all about it and then randomly got a call regards a Unit that was local and I went to view it the same day!
It was a perfect size for what I needed and at a good monthly cost too. :up:

I was meant to pick the keys up on Monday, but they're having a few issues so it's looking like next week.

F02203A2-539A-4B25-AAF5-38FBF0583019_zpsfv1hchkv.jpg

I then went on a track day to Bedford with a few of my pals. I'd been on track before on an Audi day as a driver, but never before now had I done an open pit type event.
After one session as a passenger, I was hooked! I couldn't get enough passenger laps. I was asking people if they'd take me out! I really was, in my absolute element!
So when I got home I did the obligatory search on eBay "Track Car"

I then got on the hunt for a Clio 172/182 as I knew it would be a good base for a track car.
Within a couple of days, I had a list of cars I was interested in, so I I showed the lads the below car (they know more about cars than me) and they advised me a price to bid, I already had a price in mind and they confirmed it.

E69B633D-1CC9-4836-94A6-85D130238BC1_zpsnw7pzlzm.png

They advised £800 but I wanted to get the car home for £800 all in, including Fuel etc...
So very last second I put my bid in...

F91E8D22-550C-461D-A847-5D2ECBE50BC0_zpsahiu4hcz.png

Didn't say a word to the wife before I'd bid, but as soon as that virtual hammer went down, I informed her we now had two Project cars 😂

Here is the advert

5D931152-CCC2-46D9-8130-290736E0B4F9_zpsdfpykcem.png

3BD03012-CE4B-4DFE-9DE1-B8C8B4975285_zpss3qlk050.png

BCD0B568-7E01-4129-ABA6-E6EB1831F350_zpsyxz3tl9z.png

03E8F205-6D34-4B67-8708-F3201C9EDE39_zpsm6ltmjpt.png

VvvvvV
😂😂😂😂😂

6B61279F-E87F-4476-9C0A-6F13F616DF2D_zpsylnex9hh.png

079A1618-9D21-41DF-8008-85D06763B8DD_zpsfmhbq6ni.png

9F09662D-409F-4192-A92B-9947C7E45E4A_zps7cetp7md.png

8BED0A7D-FCEF-4CEB-9CDF-AB431DCA59E7_zps5ffbpf1d.png

After a two week wait due to the seller and I having to meet around work commitments, I was finally able to go and pick the car up.
On the morning of getting the car, I had a horrendous gut feeling that I hadn't done something, something that was going to make this car an expensive purchase, I just kept thinking and then all of a sudden it then came to mind!

"HPI CHECK YOU DIM WIT"
(Yes it was only to be a track car, but I wanted it to drive straight!)

I got a pal to check the car, two minutes later I get a call.
"Turn around mate it's a Cat C Write off"

To say I was fuming was an understatement, so I did what was right and I called the seller with the intention of telling him he could keep the car.

Long story short, he needed the car out of his nan's garage and he agreed a price for me to come and collect the car.
I put my own conditions in place and he agreed.
So I carried on with my journey.

After a new battery and the car not starting, the car suddenly got cheaper (one of my conditions) and I was prepared to walk away from the purchase.
Yes I'd have been out of pocket on the hire & fueling of the van, but I didn't want a car for Breaking, I wanted to go racing.

Well, I gave him a price he would only refuse as I just didn't want the car. But to my surprise he says
"well, my grandparents need their garage back and I'm not going to use it once it's fixed, so let's load it up."

Money exchanged hands and we got the car loaded.

57FBDC23-F402-4F12-A4A4-2AFCCE941F9C_zpsg1msmn7f.jpg

So, here I am sat in traffic on my way back, What on earth have I just bought this Clio for! :laughing:
Then the price came to mind (Yes Karlos, take a photo 😂 😂 )

F235AAB2-9A7E-472C-962B-34A830D315F3_zpsywpqusuf.jpg

So there you have it!
The introduction to my project!

Some of you will know that I'm having a few issues with the immobiliser at the moment, but as soon as I can get the car into the unit, I will start to tinker.

Plans list to follow :up:​

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Haha I saw this when I was looking the other week, was laughing at the pics, but I HPI'd at with it being a write off and the bits it needed doing it wouldn't of been worth it by time I got it back so left it, glad to hear you got money knocked off [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I saw this when I was looking the other week, was laughing at the pics, but I HPI'd at with it being a write off and the bits it needed doing it wouldn't of been worth it by time I got it back so left it, glad to hear you got money knocked off [emoji108]

I didn't pay anywhere near the winning bid price for this car. So once I've ripped it apart and seen the damage behind the front bumper, that'll determine whether I carry on building this car or not.

Non sport front grill too!

As a novice Renault buyer, I'd have no idea 😊

unless I've missed something after all that suspense cant see a price mentioned:/

What did you end up getting it for if you don't mind disclosing it? Good little write up.

£220 is my guess..

I was going to leave you guys all guessing, but I paid £200 for the car.

There is a possibility if I can't get around the immobiliser, that I may break the car. I don't really want to do that though:up:

2004 clio 182
For 200 quid that's a good deal even of you break it as u will make money back.still s**t you got incorrectly advised on the car though.hope you can fix it and sort it matey

For 200 quid that's a good deal even of you break it as u will make money back.still s**t you got incorrectly advised on the car though.hope you can fix it and sort it matey

I wasn't best pleased when I stupidly hadn't checked it, but at the same time I had every right to refuse it if it wasn't at a price I was willing to pay.

I have a 172 uch ecu and 2 keys here mate if needed should sort imo issue

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

After speaking to the auto electrian/locksmith he's advised me to find the problem on the car... he's adamant that something's gone wrong in terms of Earth strap or ignition barrel element

If you decide you don't want it I'll give you £250 lol [emoji106]

I'll break it before I sell if for that kind of money :tongueclosed:
But thank you for the offer :grinning:

The plans

Well, as some of you guys know, the car didn't come without its problems. So, as soon as I've got the car into the unit (awaiting keys) I will do all the things necessary to find the fault in the system.

IF I can get the car started and it runs well, I plan on doing the car up in stages. It'll decide its own fate when it goes for its MOT.

Stage 1
MOT & Service

So, first stop will be to send it for an MOT, then equipped with the fail list, I will determine which path we take with the little Clio.
Although the car will not be a road car, It must be roadworthy.

- Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on standard wheels
- Brakes - Discs, Pads, Braided lines, Calipers & Fluid
- Change Filters
- Change Oil
- Coolant
- Injectors cleaned
- Plus MOT failure parts

Potentially a Cambelt, Aux Belt, waterpump & Dephaser with a potential Air con & PAS Delete

Stage 2
Track prep

- Full Interior Strip
- Two Bucket Seats
- 2x Harnesses
- Team Dynamic's with Slicks

I want my first experience in my own track car to feel as standard as possible and my reasons are simple. If I put an upgrade onto the car, I want to be able to feel/hear or see the difference that it's making.

Stage 3
Handling

- Coilovers
- Front & Rear Anti-Roll bar
- PMS Strut Brace & Top Mounts
- Engine mounts
- Dogbone mount
- Polybushes everywhere
- Plus more

Stage 4
Mechanicals

- Gear linkage kit
- Clio 182 Exhaust Manifold
- Pure Motorsport Exhaust
- Potentially a few other parts

I'd quite like to put a cage in the car, but that won't happen for a while.

If things get really serious, I may take things to the next level, but I can't see that happening for a while.

The Next Level

Well this is where things get REALLY EXPENSIVE!

If you have any recommendations, please fire away. You guys have been a great help so far and I can't wait to get stuck in.

Thanks all

Karlos​

If this one doesn't work out then im sure another will come along for a good price, and you'll have a shed load of spares.

However if the cat c issue isnt anything major to the structure or strength of the car then all sounds good in the plans department!

Small Update

The workspace

Well after much delay with the unit, it was taking the mick!
I've been on the phone constantly over the last month trying to sort the unit.
In short, the unit wasn't secure and needed a lot of work.
I put a proposal to the Landlord and he's agreed to do all of the work.
This has meant that I have another 3 week wait for the unit, but it shall be worth it once finish (I HOPE)

The Clio

Nothing has changed with the car as I've been flat out at work and I've been enjoying some time with my 3 week old daughter.
My question to you lovely gents is...although you've no idea how bad the car is (neither do I), shall I go ahead and start purchasing some parts for the car?

I think, that worst case scenario, I'll strip this car and buy a 182, but what parts can I purchase for a 172 that'll potentially be put on a 182 if this car isn't worth my time?

Immediately, this car needs brakes, tyres and I'll be sorting the suspension/bushes etc.

Please give me a hand as I'm itching to get the ball rolling and as with most projects, I allow myself a monthly budget and if it's not spent on the car, the wife likes to spend it 😂

Basically, what upgrades can I use for both 172 and 182?​

2014 Clio 200t edc
I remember looking at this one but it was too far. Having the nan lay over the front actually it me off! Lol
Brakes are the same and fit both 182/172
Induction side anything will fit either
Bushes (poly etc) will be interchangeable/usable on 182

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Brakes are the same throughout the 172/182 to range so could buy them.

Suspension is the same as long as you buy a non cup packed 182 otherwise you'd need 60mm hole gap struts

Obv you could buy stuff like bucket seats, subframes, rarb, engine mounts, polybushes etc etc, you'd just have to hold on with the exhaust purchase as obv they're different

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, most stuff is interchangeable so i'd get cracking :)

oh and usually you won't be allowed to run full slicks without a proper roll cage, full cage, on most open pit lane days, road legal semi slicks however should be fine.

Thanks gents.... I've had a spanner thrown into the works this evening when I went down to the unit to finalise some things... all will come to light shortly, depending which route I take :grin::grin:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
😧

Tell me granny hasn't come back claiming she was on medication when she sold the car and forgot all about money changing hands?

Update time

Firstly, this happened...
Doh!

B5A9B110-C10F-4571-B757-EDB3C5D0183C_zps6dh6qsyq.jpg

Rather annoying but due to the hold up with the lock up, there was nothing I could do.
I knew that It was of course inevitable that it would happen at some point.

I'd spoken to the landlord previously about getting the car into the lock up for this very reason.
Due to him having to take tradesman down to show them around etc I was not able to put the car into the unit.
However, He had arranged for me to pick the keys up the following afternoon.
so I got the keys and went to move the car...
Funnily enough, like most mornings, I'd checked the car at 6:30am, went home to sleep, picked up the keys...and clamped...

Not to worry... she's in!
I've paid the fine before anyone assumes otherwise 😂

DAE65FA8-98CD-4DBB-8140-702A2D8224F0_zpsg5imfw0m.jpg

It's a building site at the moment and the previous tenant has left some bits in the lock up that will be thrown away whilst the builders are in.
A lot is changing with the unit, so watch this space. :up:

So, the car was in and I'd figured it would be rude not to try and get SOME things done..
I had the lad with me to help, so we set about removing the parts that we won't be using.

It was freezing:neutral:
(we can't currently close the door fully)
He has absolutely NO IDEA what He is doing, however, he is 15, loves cars & wants to learn.
In all honesty, I'm not sure I know what I'm doing half of the time 😂
It's nice for us to spend time together, I've been in his life since he was 6 and he is MY SON as far as I'm concerned.
I just I wish I had this opportunity when I was younger to spend time learning cars with my dad.

So here he is, getting stuck in, moaning how cold it is, whilst learning the ropes.

Taking out the Airbox & pipework
4792F136-15AA-4221-9BC0-FA6E988B3EA6_zpsm35dbekj.jpg

As we knew it had a front end impact, (remember collection day)
It was always the intention to get the front end off the car and see just how bad it really was.
when I picked up the car, I could see it needed a fair bit of work. Hence why I wanted to walk away.

So, we got the front bumper off the car.
The bumper is damaged, but usable (I may replace it)
Slam panel is F****d for want of a better word
O/S headlight broken
Radiator looks damaged

Again, the above I knew when purchasing the car, so it's not a shock.

A concern I do currently have is that either a mouse or squirrel has been living in the car at some point while it was stored...
We all know mice like wires! I DONT! 😂
(They housed themselves in the bonnet sound deadening, and there are what look like nuts everywhere)

Here are some of the front end photos

57FC9541-FCBD-46AB-A9BC-7B67CEC5B229_zps1r7ixxrr.jpg

Nice and straight :smirk:

F176FCFA-2E2E-40F0-BF5F-37196934E832_zps61ivkifp.jpg

Double picture but one is lighter and gives you a better idea

6C1FFF8B-7446-454D-B54A-76257194B4A9_zps6p5otpah.jpg

92057590-6A92-46F3-A6E4-87D29E09C1A2_zpsjtrwiskg.jpg

As you can see it's quite bad, but if I'm honest, I'm not that bothered by it.
Yesterday it was an annoyance, but the more I think about it, most of the car was getting binned anyway.

So, the plans have changed slightly, but not massively.
It was always going to be a TRACK CAR but I did want it to be road legal...
I'm not sure I'd like to put this car on the road and anyway, it means I get to go a little more hardcore on the build :laughing:

The plan is still to do an Air Con Delete, even more so now.
Other than the kit, what's needed?

17C008BF-06E3-4D71-982C-34B9810D80A5_zpsgddsxitg.jpg

This car really hasn't had a good life! 😊
Also in the below picture you can see that I attempted to take off the Isofix Bolts with my tiny ratchet!
Let's just say, I STRUGGLED! 😂
I'll be back to conquer "Deez Nutz" soon enough.

6C2A1E38-C710-4D89-9B69-2AFA541374D8_zps7xdoanzk.jpg

So that's pretty much where we got to yesterday

The parts I have out of the car and available for sale are below
- CD Changer
- N/S Xenon Headlight
- Standard Airbox
- All interior (From dash back)
Seats, Parcel Shelf, Door Cards, A B & C pillars, Boot Plastics, Seat Belts, Front Fogs
What do you need. I'll let you know if it's available.

A9CDC29E-42A6-4893-9DD1-2581BEB5D30E_zpsj0mehfir.jpg

So because there will be workmen replacing the front of the building over the next few weeks,
I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back down there.
Also because of this, I've had to put most things back inside the car as a storage area for now.
Mainly as the car may get rolled outside when the work is taking place.

Here is how we left the car...

B71EA16E-85DF-4A2F-96B7-8D9835D07FC4_zpsgmxngkgb.jpg

4CAB5A90-0810-4700-9D8B-37BE72DF5275_zpso0dt44pg.jpg

All parts for the bin are in the boot
6996FAE2-26D9-4374-81FE-A42741F56E3C_zpsbxpp8wjt.jpg

The parts I'm looking for
- UCH, ECU, Both Door locks, Keys (and any other parts for the swap)
- Non Xenon Headlights
- RS front Grille
- Air Con Delete Kit
- Knock Sesor

With these parts I'm hoping she starts!! :grinning:
Well, we can only hope!

Cost list
Car - £200
Car collection/Van Rental - £100 all in
Fine - £260:mask::laughing: (my own Fault)

The plan is to get it "Where I want it" for £3k

All comments and criticism is welcomed below, I know it's a big job, but "Impossible is Nothing" :up:

If you've got parts that I need then please send me a PM... particularly if you're in Sussex or willing to send parts

That's enough from me

Karlos​

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Front end doesn't look too bad at all, was expecting it to have bodged chassis legs or something to be bent structurally, progress look good, I ended up grinding out my rear seat bolt it was seized solid and was annoying me haha, isofix ones were easy but I used a bigger ratchet, they're the easier ones to deal with, wait till you get to the torx40 seat Ines they're shite

UPDATE TIME

well guys, Yesterday I went down to the unit after work (05:30am) to see what I could get done on the car. I don't like going down without my Son as I want him to be as involved with the Project's we're doing as much as possible.:up:

My first plan was to remove the rear wiper! What a mistake this was!
Lets just say I moved onto something else after the wiper arm wouldn't budge!
I'd got as far as pulling the wiper off... literally...so that ended abruptly after breaking it 😂:laughing:
I shall get a puller to get the arm off soon.

Here's my enthusiastic before picture.

9A855D0C-B977-4EA7-B53C-C5DEDA39A9BA_zpshm5xmau6.jpg

so I moved onto the rest of the interior.
I still haven't removed the rear seats, due to the middle torx screw being stripped, so It'll probably need drilling out.
Is there a way I can get the rear seats out without having to undo this screw?
Both backs come out on either side, but not in the middle.

So, here is the roof lining on its way out

2DE0425F-43CD-4A1D-9A78-EF62293F4BE4_zpsa6ymv0nn.jpg

97519EAD-6AAF-4950-A308-B55F8624F79C_zpsneqbihvw.jpg

By the time I was finished at 09:00am I had quite a lot of the interior out of the car but I'd forgotten to take photos of the progress I was making.
Here are a few photos of what I've managed to get done.

67299E77-E46E-4169-9315-39F30AD13730_zpsfx7gkkrq.jpg

63D35B84-7F99-4D55-A382-049D52966B61_zpsos9nobkh.jpg

E3E98176-4593-4B6C-8E18-AAF04FEC102A_zpsip3n1fuc.jpg

All of the parts removed were...
Headlining
Interior lights
Grab Handles
Seat belts
Speakers
Rear Door Cards
Majority Interior Plastics
Removed Fogs (still need to remove the covers)

The parts with any value
(headlining will be binned as its got burn holes)
** IF YOU NEED ANY OF THESE PARTS - HEAD TO THE FOR SALE SECTION **

846F70BB-2DD3-4F70-8CFF-EE6C39FCAF5F_zpswf9f0vn3.jpg

All the plastics

B6A865EB-9D97-44BE-A5C4-45E959C80182_zpsqtvmxiac.jpg

I didn't think it was going to take me quite so long to get the majority of the interior out, however, removing all of the nuts, bolts and screws is quite time consuming.
I also came across some quirks about these cars, like the Grab handles... Why are they a one time product? you have to break the clips to get the handles out.

I left the car like this...
(Its quite a good shed!) :up:

AC082CBF-5DA5-42C1-A3F5-501E3CB769B2_zpsjbnuzuau.jpg

2941CD56-F427-4966-AC06-5AD1BA75221C_zpsodlkpw81.jpg

Then went for a nice chicken lunch with the wife and kiddies :up:

C597D5A2-EC15-443D-8478-3CD8A8CB0631_zpsqtee13ce.jpg

Awaiting arrival of some parts from RetroTed
Once I've received them, i shall aim to get them fitted, try and start the car up and go from there!

Cost list
Car - £200
Car collection/Van Rental - £100 all in
Fine - £260:mask::laughing: (my own Fault)
RetroTed Parts - £100

Total - £660

The parts I'm looking to purchase NOW

- KTR Induction Kit (YELLOW PIPEWORK)
- Air Con Delete Kit
- Knock Sensor
- Service Parts
- Wiper Blanking Plate
- Aerial Blanking Plate/Cover
- Brake Ducts

I will be ordering parts ASAP

Thanks for reading guys. I look forward to the fitting of the ECU/UCH kit as I'm fairly confident it'll fire up!
HOPEFULLY!!

As always, Comments and criticism is welcomed.

Thanks

Very random (well I guess not for eBay) though.
Keep up the good work :smile:

Thanks ImprezaWorks... hopefully itll be running by the end of the week! ** WE'LL SEE :grimacing::grimacing: **

Front end doesn't look too bad at all, was expecting it to have bodged chassis legs or something to be bent structurally, progress look good, I ended up grinding out my rear seat bolt it was seized solid and was annoying me haha, isofix ones were easy but I used a bigger ratchet, they're the easier ones to deal with, wait till you get to the torx40 seat Ines they're shite

If i were looking to put the car back on the road, i wouldn't have bought it as i just wasn't looking to do loads of structural work to the car...
I can hit this with my big hammer and i think it'll be fine.
As for that Torx 40 😂😂😂 ... NOW A STRIPPED TORX40 :laughing:

Should've just got the car into the lockup and removed the clamp in there :wink:

It did cross my mind, especially as the car wont go on the road again, but i thought better of it. :up: #LawAbidingCitizen (well...not including speed 🙈)

£260 for that clamp to be removed, seriously? I would have cut the wheel off and give the c**t his clamp back in tact.

what you're forgetting, if you take the clamp off and are seen doing so, its a £1000 fine
It's also up to £1000 fine for not having tax on the car

so its in your best interest to either do one of two things

Pay the fine or scrap the car

Who clamped the car John at number 10 or some cowboy outfit, or was it the council? If the latter then fair enough, if the former then as long as you don't damage their property then there's f**k all they can do as it's a private matter, which cannot be upheld in the courts.

Who clamped the car John at number 10 or some cowboy outfit, or was it the council? If the latter then fair enough, if the former then as long as you don't damage their property then there's f**k all they can do as it's a private matter, which cannot be upheld in the courts.

Well... DVLA instructed the council and the council are clamping a lot at the minute... there is a car clamped outside my house with a clamp on it too