ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2013 Fiesta ST vs Clio 200 Cup comparison

Clio 220 PH2
I have seen a lot of comparisons between the new Clio (turbo) and the fiesta ST but was interested in people's thoughts on the Clio 200 cup and the 2013 fiesta ST. I am possibly thinking about one or the other and wanted to get people thoughts and experiences of both cars, I have my 182 for track stuff but it's a bit too much for the road (the 182 is staying lol) so I want to upgrade my daily to a hot hatch so I can enjoy the country roads a bit more plus have a nice everyday car that has air con :)
Also any issues people have had with both cars.
Any help would be great

Thanks Ben

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I wouldn't bother with a mk3 Clio if you have a mk2 track car.

They're not very good as dailies and if you're not going to track it, the cons of the stiffness, revvy engine and poor mpg don't outweigh the pros of the handling and revvy engine

I know i said revvy engine twice but it is one of the best and worst things about the car lol

*that is assuming you're on about the mk3 as I'm unaware of the 200t being offered as a cup

Clio 220 PH2
I wouldn't bother with a mk3 Clio if you have a mk2 track car.

They're not very good as dailies and if you're not going to track it, the cons of the stiffness, revvy engine and poor mpg don't outweigh the pros of the handling and revvy engine

I know i said revvy engine twice but it is one of the best and worst things about the car lol

*that is assuming you're on about the mk3 as I'm unaware of the 200t being offered as a cup
That's fair enough mate I am looking for a good fun car that handles itself well on the road, it may visit a track day once or twice for a bit of fun see what it's like but it's mainly a daily driver with country road blasting

Yes I am talking about the MK3 cup, yeah I think the new one is trophy or normal sport
Haha I know what you mean you have to rev it to go lol
So would you steer towards the fiesta ?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
100% the fiesta, if you're keeping the 1*2 for track work.

Turbo torque and more refined, the 200 tries to be as sporty as a 1*2 and refined as a Golf and does an OK-but-not-great job at both.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_0223.PNG
Get a Trophy, with a track monitor, use it every day and great on track

Clio 220 PH2
100% the fiesta, if you're keeping the 1*2 for track work.

Turbo torque and more refined, the 200 tries to be as sporty as a 1*2 and refined as a Golf and does an OK-but-not-great job at both.
Yeah the 182 is staying :)
When I drove the ST it did have good pull and had heated seats lol

I do have a soft spot for the look of the MK3s plus you don't see many on the road.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The Trophy is the one to go for if it has to be the 200 EDC, and they're still 16k+

The early Fiestas are now 7/8k and can take well in excess of 300bhp on standard internals. I know what i'd take.

182 Turbo
I wish i had such a healthy budget for a new car, op would you consider getting something a little older with miles for the same budget? Something like an evo 9 or a mint e46 m3? You get alot more for your money.
The only time i ever really consider clio's is when they are at 1*2 prices lol, 2-3k. i would never drop £16k on a renault if i wanted a performance car :D

Clio 220 PH2
@Danny_172 i agree I would love the trophy but I just don't have the funds if I want to keep playing/modifying the 182
Yeah the fiestas are a very good value especially what they can offer

@Mr. Plums 300bhp would be plenty lol

@imprezaworks it has surprised me how many people are saying the fiesta but they have had amazing reviews

@Aydon182 it did cross my mind but the running costs of an M3 would be a lot more than the newer fiesta. My dads got the Z4m and that costs him a small fortune lol. I completely agree with the old car but I just fancy a newer car

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That's fair enough mate I am looking for a good fun car that handles itself well on the road, it may visit a track day once or twice for a bit of fun see what it's like but it's mainly a daily driver with country road blasting

Yes I am talking about the MK3 cup, yeah I think the new one is trophy or normal sport
Haha I know what you mean you have to rev it to go lol
So would you steer towards the fiesta ?

It's not even the revving it to get it to move, I find that they're constantly wanting to be driven like you stole it. Driving them 'slow' is a right chore.

If you're coming to csf next month I'm sure there'll be a few owners willing to take you out so you can see how they behave on track.

Clio 220 PH2
@Knuckles i can see what you mean my 182 is similar but the problem is before you know it you are breaking the speed limit. My dad has a cup racer and that one enjoys being revved
Unfortunately I can not make it I am off to the Nurburgring that weekend

@imprezaworks i will have a look at it mate get some inspiration lol

@Danny_172 i agree mate it's a shame but I will be a good owner lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm still convinced 230 is the sweet spot for the ST on decent tyres and brakes if you want.

Peugeot 308
Had an ST3 for a year, best car I've had and would love another If I could justify another car.

They do everything well.
A somewhat surprising highlight for me was a 700+ mile trip to Newcastle and back over 2 days.
Handled long distance comfortably, heated seats were fantastic and it managed over 45mpg+ iirc throughout the trip (Wasn't aiming for MPG figures whatsoever) - Felt box fresh getting out of the car at both ends of the trip.

The only downside to the car was the standard fitment Bridgestone RE050's.

DirtyST3.JPG

FiestaST3.JPG

Edit - These pictures show it on Mountune's 'Eibach' Springs - Bar looking good, they ruined the ride totally.

Clio 220 PH2
Had an ST3 for a year, best car I've had and would love another If I could justify another car.

They do everything well.
A somewhat surprising highlight for me was a 700+ mile trip to Newcastle and back over 2 days.
Handled long distance comfortably, heated seats were fantastic and it managed over 45mpg+ iirc throughout the trip (Wasn't aiming for MPG figures whatsoever) - Felt box fresh getting out of the car at both ends of the trip.

The only downside to the car was the standard fitment Bridgestone RE050's.

View attachment 473631

View attachment 473656

Edit - These pictures show it on Mountune's 'Eibach' Springs - Bar looking good, they ruined the ride totally.
That looks smart that does what front lip is that ?
There seems to be an overwhelming vote for the little fiesta :)
That's pretty good mpg my 1.2L at the minute struggles 40 lol
Any recommendations on tyres if you could put a set on ? I use the P-zeros at the minute on my daily and I can not fault them

Peugeot 308
That looks smart that does what front lip is that ?
There seems to be an overwhelming vote for the little fiesta :smile:
That's pretty good mpg my 1.2L at the minute struggles 40 lol
Any recommendations on tyres if you could put a set on ? I use the P-zeros at the minute on my daily and I can not fault them

The splitter is a Triple R item;
https://www.jamsportstore.co.uk/products/fiesta-st-mk7-triple-r-composites-front-splitter

My favourite tyres at the moment are Michelin Pilot Sport 4's - An awesome all rounder :cool:

Fiesta ST Stage 3
@mr bognor

Copy this guy. His st is awesome.

Think it's him anyway lol

Yes that is my one and it is awesome :)

Annoyingly I can not see the pictures 😧

Dam photobucket but let me know if you want me to send you any .

I couldn't shake one in my Edition 30 and that was 300bhp, say what you want about the Fiesta/my driving oor Kev lol.

It had a Mountune badge, no idea what power it was running. But the driver was ginger and probably not old enough for penetration.

They are good at 230 BHP but better at 300 BHP I think and I have had both going from stock to CP2 ( 230 BHP ) and then to CP4 ( 320 + BHP )

Big money for that power though.

My one was £ 2500 for everything Turbo , intercooler , induction , mapping , sports cat and exhaust so I think that is an amazing price .

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Had one for two years and loved it. Felt quick enough. Its crashy round town and is pretty bouncy on a motorway but it's a hot hatch so not sure what people expect.

Their value is absolutely falling out of their arse at the minute.